1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - FINAL UPDATE 9/APRIL/2019 (AT 4000 FILMS!)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 9/JANUARY/2018 (OVER 2900 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:25 pm

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM DK VINE, TWITTER, OTHER WEBSITES AND BOOKS I'VE BEEN READING, AS OF 13:52 - 9/JANUARY/2018.

Hello, everybody, and Happy New Year! (Plays slightly odd, but somehow fitting celebratory music) I hope you're all doing well! Today marks both the first update to the 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch project for 2018, and the nine month anniversary of this project. To ring in the occasion, we've got another big update to kick off the year!

This update contains 182 films, which means that the total number of suggestions has gone a little bit over 2900 FILMS! It's baffling to think that in just nine months, we've nearly reached 3000 suggestions of movies, shorts, episodes, music videos, and all manner of subjects that define why animation is such an excellent medium, but here we are! I thank you all once again, and to the various websites and books I've visited as of late; I don't know where I'd be without you.

I haven't been updating the Facebook page since the last update, so I don't have any recommendations or write ups to offer you. Sorry about that. As for any possible plans for 2018, part of me does want to get back into video making (I used to make YouTube videos once upon a time, doncha know) but with a particular focus towards animation. However, we'll see.

In the meantime, please contribute with any suggestions/questions/ideas you have, share this project around to friends, and check out anything on the list that takes your interest! Thank you very much, and until we meet again, have a great day y'all!

-Jim McGrath/FrDougal9000
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 9/JANUARY/2018 (OVER 2900 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:35 pm

AN EXPLANATION FOR MY ABSENCE:

It's been nearly a month since the last update, and I apologize for the delay and my lack of explanation as to why there is such a delay. I've had a busy few weeks in which I've been doing work experience for my college, and subsequently working on the paperwork I had to do afterwards. It's left me pretty tired by the time I get home, and writing a post about the new update, rewriting the opening post to include all the new updates, and so on is a bit too much for me to want to do at the moment.

Don't worry, the next update is done; I just need to have the desire and drive to upload it online and then write about it. I'm sorry about that, and will strive to work on it as soon as things quiet down. Thank you, and have a good day.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:11 pm

If you want to keep your sanity, don't watch Osmosis Jones, i had to watch it in science class
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 5/FEBRUARY/2018 (OVER 3000 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:00 pm

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM DK VINE, TWITTER, OTHER WEBSITES AND BOOKS I'VE BEEN READING, AS OF 18:52 - 5/FEBRUARY/2018.

So that update came a bit more quickly than I thought it would, thanks to some free time I happened to find today. That makes yesterday's post a little redundant, but I think it can be forgiven considering the big news that comes with today's update.

Now, there is over 3000 FILMS, TV EPISODES, SHORTS, MUSIC VIDEOS, FAN ANIMATIONS AND MORE listed under consideration for the 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch List. It is baffling to think that in just under ten months (not even a year!), I've been able to accumulate so many works; and it's thanks to everyone who has contributed to this project and beyond. To everyone who gave recommendations, feedback, ideas, and all manner of support, I thank you. And to every animation fan, enthusiast, historians and more whose blogs/books I've read and whose videos I've watched to get a better understanding of the wide and wonderful world of animation, I thank you as well.

Like I said some time back, I'll continue to work on gathering suggestions until we're in the realm of 4000 films, which I reckon will happen sooner than I think, and that's because of all of you. I'll also try to get back to updating the Facebook page, and to try and make animation-centric videos on YouTube in the near future, but I just want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Y'all are amazing. Have a wonderful life. Thank you.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 5/FEBRUARY/2018 (OVER 3000 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:56 pm

I only have a few

Rock & Rule (1983). It's a brilliant mix of fun and terror, with cartoony-looking characters in real danger, all set to amazing music. Think Interstella 5555, but actually made in the 80s

End of Evangelion (1997) I- are you kidding? Do I really have to justify this? Why the hell isn't it on the original list in the first place?

Kubo and the Two Strings (2017). Just all around good. Great, realistic acting and beautiful animation
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 21/FEBRUARY/2018 (OVER 3200 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:52 am

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM TWITTER AND CARTOON BREW, AS OF 12:49 - 18/FEBRUARY/2018.

Good afternoon, everyone! I hope you're all doing well! This update's the biggest one in quite some time (taking us a bit over the 3200 FILMS mark), largely due to me taking recommendations from Cartoon Brew's Cartoon Brew Pick, an almost daily section of the site where the site runner recommends a music video, episode, animated short or anything in general that is worth checking out. I've not listed every short that has been recommended back to mid-early 2015, since they are live-action films with an interesting use of video FX (CGI, basically) but otherwise could not be considered animated films, but there are a lot of cool or amazing works that I otherwise would have missed out on, and I urge you to check out any that catch your attention.

As well as this, I'm uploading a video later today on my YouTube channel, in which I announce the fact that I'm back and am planning to work on videos discussing animation, as something of a way to help promote this project. If you have any suggestions for videos or animated works I could look at, please let me know! I really want to get back into the game, and would love to hear as many ideas as I can to give me inspiration!

In the meantime, thank you all again for your support. Share this project with your friends, contribute with suggestions/feedback/questions, and until we meet again, have a great day!

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 21/FEBRUARY/2018 (OVER 3200 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:27 am

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM TWITTER, THE ANIME ENCYCLOPEDIA AND CARTOON BREW, AS OF 15:06 - 13/MARCH/2018.

Hi, everyone! I hope you're all doing well! This next update isn't quite as big as the previous one (though it's large enough to take us over the 3300 FILMS mark), and that's because I've been pretty busy these last couple of weeks. One of the things I've been up to is getting that old YouTube channel of mine back into action, and I've begun producing videos on a semi-regular basis again!

Here are the first three so far, for you to check out and enjoy:

An update video explaining where I've been to my subscribers, and my plans for the channel going forward

An unscripted video in which I gush over various well done cuts from the likes of Tokyo Godfathers, the Netflix Castlevania series, and even Scooby-Doo of all things!

A retrospective of the short films directed by Mahiro Maeda (Blue Submarine No. 6, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo), which come from various series or anthologies like The Animatrix, Japan Animator Expo, Genius Party Beyond, and more.

I've decided to make a focus on producing videos about animation, as both a supplementary to the 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch project and also as a way to help spread awareness and get people talking about all the many wonderful things that exist in this medium. If any of these videos take your interest, subscribe to me on YouTube (the channel name is FrDougal9000), share my videos around, and provide feedback or suggestions through the comments or otherwise.

In the meantime, thank you all once again for contributing to the project in whatever way you've done so for nearly the last year, and I'll see y'all for the next update. Share the project around to other animation fans, provided feedback and suggestions if you have any, and have a great day!

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 9/APRIL/2018 (NEARLY 3500 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:03 am

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM DK VINE, TWITTER, OTHER WEBSITES AND BOOKS I'VE BEEN READING, AS OF 18:52 - 5/FEBRUARY/2018.

Has it been a year already? Blimey, that was quick.

Yes, you read that right. One year ago today, I decided to start a series of threads based on an idea I'd been kicking around for a couple of weeks. I thought it'd be pretty interesting to get other folks involved, see how it would go. As it turns out, "pretty interesting" was something of an understatement.

Over the last 12 months, through taking people's suggestions, visiting recommended websites, reading books, watching shows, films, shorts and more, I've come to realize how bafflingly huge the world of animation is. Whenever I think there's nothing more to see, I'll check out a website or book and uncover several dozen animators and films that I'd never heard of before, but still doing all manner of inventive and incredible things.

There are so many films, shorts, videos, episodes and other types of animation that I would have never otherwise seen, and I am happier for having seen them. These include, among countless others:

-Mickey Mouse (the 2013 series)
-Gauche the Cellist
-Sita Sings The Blues
-A Boy Named Charlie Brown
-Hotel Translyvania
-Gurren Lagann
-Rex the Runt
-Student Shorts from GOBELINS
-Diamond Jack
-Just about every Aardman short from 1977 to 2000
-Little Nemo
-Early Betty Boop shorts
-Underrated Looney Tunes from the 30's and 40's
-Tony del Peltrie, one of the earliest CGI films with a human character
-Music videos by the surprisingly versitile Koji Nanke
-Pixar's first dozen short films

In addition, I've started to interact with people on the internet again thanks to this project. I'd been staying away from places like Twitter and Facebook, but this whole venture got me into talking with people about animation in a bunch of different ways. I've gotten new perspectives, learned about fascinating animators and films, and have made internet friends who I'm always happy to see post something or to talk with.

It's even gotten me back into making YouTube videos, which is how I first started doing things on the internet, funnily enough - talk about coming full circle. I want to give back to the animation community, even if only in the smallest of ways, by providing my own perspective on certain areas and helping to inform people with what I've come to know. Hopefully, I'll be able to do that.

With all that in mind, I want to thank everyone who helped to contribute to this project over the last year. Even in the most minor way, you've helped me to see how wide and wonderful the world of animation is, and you've given me a reason to keep moving forward; even on the days when I feel like I can't do anything.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for everything. I'll do whatever I can to make you feel the same, if not tenfold.

In the meantime, please check out anything from the list of suggestions that grabs your interest - I hope you enjoy it. If you have any ideas for films to go on the list or possible video ideas I could do, please suggest them. If you know anyone who would be interested in a project like this, please share it with them.

Thank you again, and until we meet again, have a great life!

SPOILER: Show
Paul Cronin
Richard Cross
Laura McGrath
Dave McGrath
tamerlane
Daniel Thomas MacInnes
Jerry Beck
Fred Patten
Steve Stanchfield
Chris Patmore
Adam Cook
Mark Whitehead
Hector Gonzalez
Stephen Cavalier
Giannalberto Bendazzi
Amid Amidi
Alison Herman
Thad Komorowski
JB Kaufman
Michael Lyons
Disgaeamad
Devon Baxter
Mark Mayerson
Terry Gilliam
Andrew Osmond
Barry Purves
Jonathan Clements
Helen McCarthy
Chris Robinson
Rolf Giesen
Stefanie Van De Peer
Amber Shields
Colleen Jankovic
Mike Toole
Tunde Vollenbroek
Jonathan Boschen
Leonard Maltin
Roger Ebert
Charles Brubaker
Ben Ettinger
Cathy Munroe Hotes
Florian Höhr
Sun-Wukong
SurrealBrain
NathanVS.
MFWolfe
King Smithy
koopaul
Karate Joe
AwesomeCauliflower68
Prika
Kara Kong
Sabertooth1000000000
Twilight Vestige
ILDC
Zedxclon
DarkBluePhoenix
Reichu
Joseki
Kazuki_Fuse
Cosmo11
Mr Tines
pwhodges
Director Black
cyharding
Maxtiis
Nightly
Indigo Rush
CleverSonicUsername
AxelPrime
Bowbowis
Monkey Destruction Switch
Soldier: 76
Joy
Ernest-Panda
CottonCandy
Ryannumber1gamer
EmmBee
tailsBOOM!
Kunzait_83
YTWes
ibcf
Josh Dunham
AnimeGolem
feezy_fezz
CanipaShow
FoutonS
illegenes
liborek3
animeblue00
paeses
Yuyucow
DestructoKitteh
AnimeAjay
RollingPiranha
0XMURADX0
BusterBeam
braves133
kyouray
khwan_
ponkts
AshitanoGin
HosannaEx
arasansan
Adanusch
gemonsw
kraker2k
Magicmew12
Felipe Rojas
DJAHa
Jmcfarlane49
turtlestack
Time Out
Cartoon Brew
Laputa Animation Festival (collective)
Animation Now! (book)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 9/APRIL/2018 (NEARLY 3500 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:52 am

I'm glad I could contribute even if it was only a few films) and the year certainly did fly by. Now, if my math is correct (which it should be), you've gotten an average of 9.5 film recommendations a day, which is impressive. Clearly people wanted to contribute, and I'm glad your project has thus far been a success. Best of luck with your next internet adventure.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 29/APRIL/2018 (NEARLY 3600 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:54 am

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM DK VINE, TWITTER, OTHER WEBSITES AND BOOKS I'VE BEEN READING, AS OF 10:54 - 27/APRIL/2018.

Hi, everyone! I hope you're doing well! This update's another big one, with a little under 100 new suggestions being added to the list - which brings us past 3500 films and very close to breaking the 3600 FILMS THRESHOLD! Considering the limit I imposed some time back at around 4000 films, that means we're getting quite close to that limit, and the possible end of the suggestions gathering.

It's crazy to think how that's taken just over a year to happen, and I thank each and every one of you for contributing once more, but we're not there just yet. There's still a while to go, and who knows what could happen along the way? In the meantime, I've only uploaded one new YouTube video to promote the channel since the last update (been busy and all), and it concerns the troubled production of Dragon Ball Super - but with a positive angle.

The Best Thing About Dragon Ball Super

I've also recently become a member of the World Animation Discord, which is a community full of folks who care about and happily discuss the world of animation. If you'd like to get involved, follow this here link - discord.gg/nAMqZH5 (EvaGeeks doesn't seem to like direct linking to Discord, so you'll have to copy and paste it into the url bar above. Sorry about that!)

And that's about it for today! If you have any suggestions for films to consider for the list, questions about the project, or general feedback, please let me know and I'll do my best to address it! If you like what you see, share this project around to like-minded friends! Thank you for reading, I hope you decide to check out one of the latest additions and enjoy them, and until we meet again, have a great day!

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 29/APRIL/2018 (NEARLY 3600 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:59 am

ABOUT MY ABSENCE:

So... it's been about a month and a half since I last posted anything related to this project, or anything much in general. Sorry about that. Things have just been really busy on my end, mainly due to having to help make a college play that we've been doing for the last week or so. This left me pretty tired most days, to the point where I didn't want to work on the project or anything - I just wanted to chill out.

Still, I really should try get back into the swing of things. Hopefully, I'll be able to do that at some point in the next few days; though I should point out that the next update won't be terribly big, since I haven't been collecting that many suggestions. Again, sorry about that.

To make up for that, I'm going to give a brief recommendation for a TV series: Heidi, Girl of the Alps. Primarily directed by Isao Takahata, it's an animated adaptation of the novel Heidi's Years of Wandering and Learning, and is honestly a really good series. I've been watching over the last month or so, and it's something that I find both comforting and emotionally gripping. I'm sorry to keep things vague, but I do ask that you watch the first three episodes and see what you think. The entire show is available on YouTube via fansubs, and I highly recommend it.

Thank you, and I should hopefully see y'all soon. Until then, have a great day!

-FrDougal9000

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 am

Here's another for you, which I give a strong recommendation: Piano no mori - The Perfect World of Kai

https://myanimelist.net/anime/2594/Piano_no_Mori
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119194/

There is no official English version. The film covers the first section of a manga of the same name. As it happens there is a new anime series (from Gainax) based on the much longer completed manga running right now, but that is not what I am recommending here.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 14/JULY/2018 (OVER 3600 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:36 pm

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM DK VINE, TWITTER, DISCORD, OTHER WEBSITES AND BOOKS I'VE BEEN READING, AS OF 16:17 - 22/JUNE/2018.

I'm finally back with an update to the list! I apologize for it taking so long, even though there aren't a lot of films included to make up for that (on the bright side, that's still taken us over the 3600 FILMS threshold). Like I said last time, I was extremely busy with a bunch of things, and then I wanted to make a video montage of the various films added to this update for the YouTube channel (which went nowhere because I had no idea how to edit at least five hours worth of stuff down into a good music video and that caused me to put things off for longer than I should).

Still, I'm sorry I took so long with things, and I hope that the next update won't take as long. I've already gotten started on it, with plenty of new films for decades that haven't gotten anything new in a while, so that should be pretty interesting. In the meantime, I'm gonna post some of my favourite films from this latest update, to at least give y'all something new to check out. Please continue contributing to the project with either suggestions or feedback, like and share this project around to other fans of animation, and until we meet again, have a great day! Enjoy!

-FrDougal9000

Michael Andrews: Bubbles in Space (2012), dir. Josh Hassin (A rotoscoped music video where every frame is drawn in a completely different way by around 100 people)

A Boy And His Atom: The World's Smallest Movie (2013), dir. Nico Casavecchia (A short film animated with ATOMS - I'm not even kidding)

Conor Grebel: WoodSwimmer (2017), dir. Brett Foxwell (A short music video where the animation is based on wood as it was slowly cut away)

Lunch With Me Today (2018), dir. Anatola Howard (A sweet short film that I just really liked)

Go! Samurai (2015), dir. Keiichiro Kimura (A short film animated by animator who began his work on 1960's anime such as Tiger Mask)

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 14/JULY/2018 (OVER 3600 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:07 pm

If "It's such a beautiful day is not on this list I would be surprised one of my all time favorite films.

https://www.google.com/search?q=it%27s+such+a+beautiful+day&oq=its+such+a+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.2597j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 6/AUGUST/2018 (OVER 3700 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:04 am

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM DK VINE, TUMBLR, OTHER WEBSITES AND BOOKS I'VE BEEN READING, AS OF 11:55 - 1/AUGUST/2018.

Hey there, everyone! I hope you're all doing well! Today comes with another update, and it's a pretty big one. With 118 films, shorts, music videos and more, that takes the number of suggested films over 3700 FILMS! Once again, it's ridiculous and amazing as to how many things are being made or discovered every day, and even moreso when you consider how close we're getting to that 4000 film limit. Almost seems like that might not be enough sometimes, but I'm gonna keep that the limit so I can try to work and get this done in less time than it's taken for The Overcoat to be made (look it up)!

This'll be a brief post, since I don't have a lot of energy today, and I'm going to be preparing to head off for a couple of days with my folks tomorrow. However, since I'm finally on my summer holidays, I should be able to dedicate a little bit more time to researching and watching things than I have been these last few months. In the meantime, please keep contributing to the project with suggestions and feedback, share this project around to friends and anyone who might be interested, and check out anything that catches your eye. Thank you very much, and until we meet again, have a great day!

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 5/SEPTEMBER/2018 (OVER 3800 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:18 pm

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM DK VINE, ALONG WITH OTHER WEBSITES AND BOOKS I'VE BEEN READING, AS OF 18:54 - 4/SEPTEMBER/2018.

Hey there, everyone! I hope you're all doing well! Today's update isn't quite as big as the previous one (more on why in a bit), but with 48 new films, episodes, videos and more, that takes us just a little over 3800 FILMS! That's right: we're less than 200 films away from reaching the 4000 film limit I decided on months ago. It's really weird to think that I was originally going to stop gathering films when the limit was only 2000, but we've nearly doubled that in the span of just under a year and a half. It's crazy to think that, but it's proof that the world of animation is indeed wide, weird, and wonderful!

I don't have much else to say for this post, and I don't have any YouTube video news to talk about, since I'm currently going through a pretty nasty drain of motivation right now. I was working on a couple of other things besides this project, but they'll all wrapped up and I don't know what to do with myself for now. I had a plan of remaking a video I did last year, but I gave up when I realized that it would have had only slightly better audio and video (which isn't really worth the pain of trying to make Windows Movie Maker Live co-operate). So I'm just existing for the moment, occasionally taking the time to watch and research more animated things, but not much else. Hopefully, I can get back into the swing of things. Besides, there's less than 200 films till that goal is reached. Let's keep moving towards it, eh?

In the meantime, please keep contributing to the project with suggestions and feedback, share this project around to friends and anyone who might be interested, and check out anything that catches your eye. Thank you very much, and until we meet again, have a great day!

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 7/OCTOBER/2018 (OVER 3900 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:47 am

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM WEBSITES AND BOOKS I'VE BEEN READING, ALONG WITH THINGS I STUMBLED ACROSS, AS OF 11:47 - 6/OCTOBER/2018.

Hey there, everyone! I hope you're all doing well! I apologize for the lateness of this post (I'd actually updated the list some time last week, but I haven't written a post promoting it until now). Things had gotten quite busy and stressful on my end recently, and while most of it's been sorted out thankfully, it left me pretty tired and unable to write much of anything. I'm going to try and get some creative energy going again, and I hope that doing this post will be one way of doing that.

Anyway, I do have to write this post, since it's kind of a big deal. With 101 films, episodes, shorts, music videos and the like added to the list, that means the current number of suggestions is a little over 3900 FILMS! For those who don't know, my original plan with this project was to stop gathering suggestions for the list when the number was around 2000. I thought that might've been a bit too restrictive given how many animated works have been made, so I doubled the limit to 4000 films quite some time ago.

But yes, this update means that we're less than 100 films from reaching that limit. Good lord.

I don't plan on extending that limit again, because I do think it's stretching it at this point, so it's likely that the suggestions gathering will be officially finished in the next update or two. It's possible that there are a few duplicates scattered about (considering it's nearly 4000 films organized in a Notepad file I've been working on for a year, that's practically a given), and I'll knock those off. But regardless, it does mean that this stage of the project is very nearly done.

On the one hand, that's amazing. I've read a lot of books, browsed through many articles and websites, talked to a good number of folks, watched a heck of a lot of stuff - and it's all made me realize how fascinating the world of animation is. There's so many connections, so many interesting ways to visually depict an idea, and generally so many things out there to find and enjoy. That we've nearly reached that limit is testament to that fact.

However, I'll admit that I'm slightly worried about where to go from here. The plan I had was to try and turn this into some sort of official work that people could read, in the style of the "X THINGS IN Y MEDIUM YOU MUST SEE" books it's based on. But that means trying to communicate and organize an effort to get this done, and to do it as much justice as possible.

This is somewhat scary because I'm pretty bad at trying to promote anything I do and trying to communicate with people online, and I have no idea how to go about doing anything. Hopefully, I'll figure out something when the time comes, but I'll keep looking for more suggestions in the meantime (and maybe turning it into an Excel document to make it more easily readable, as someone suggested some time ago).

For now, please keep contributing to the project with suggestions and feedback, share this project around to friends and anyone who might be interested, and check out anything that catches your eye. Thank you very much, and until we meet again, have a great day!

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - UPDATED 7/OCTOBER/2018 (OVER 3900 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Every time I see you post, I always hope that you'll say you have "Over 9,000" films on the list :lol:
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:12 am

Ay Dougal. How's the list coming?
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:13 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Ay Dougal. How's the list coming?

I really should have tried to reply to this sooner, or at least make an update at some point in the last three months. Well, no time like the present to get started on that...

NEW YEAR'S UPDATE

Happy New Year, everyone! I hope you're all doing well, and sorry for taking so long to finally get around to doing this. I have been working on the project fairly regularly, but in a somewhat different capacity than before. In the previous update, I posted about how there were less than 100 films left before reaching the limit of 4000 suggestions I established. I figured that it would only be another update or two before the suggestions phase would be officially done, and with that mind, I decided to do some housekeeping...

For the last three months, I've been working on a spreadsheet version of the project, organizing every entry under categories to read more easily and add a few extra facts I neglected to check when I originally logged them over the last year and a half (country of origin; nature of the film; alternate names and translations, etc.). This also gave me the chance to see if I'd made unintentionally duplicated any entries, which is something I'd often discover doing in the more recent updates as more and more films were included on the list. This means that whatever the final number is, it will be much more accurate than it would have been otherwise - and therefore means that I might be able to include more films depending on whatever the final number is.

The spreadsheet version is nowhere near complete, as it's only just reached the 1980's, but you're more than welcome to give it a look here and see what you think: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AqVD-HKcr39SgSNgWP7MOn8BwwZV If you think of any ways to improve it, please let me know. I'd like to make this as good as it can, but there's bound to be a couple of mistakes in there.

This is also why I haven't done any updating (not that I haven't been logging more entries for inclusion; I definitely have) - I don't want to constantly add and change things in the spreadsheet while I'm still working on it. I'd prefer to complete it, and then go back to add or remove things as we go along. As such, this will end up taking quite a while (especially since there's around 2500+ things to log from the 80s onward!). Maybe that's not the best approach to take towards this, since it might mean that I won't be posting for even longer than the gap between this update and the last. If you have any ideas for how I could improve this workflow, I'd really like to hear them!

2019 is going to be an interesting year for the project, I feel, with the suggestions gathering period likely to end at some point and then having to figure out how to best move forward with things. But I hope that whatever goes on, you'll be there with me along the way in whatever way you can. Thank you all for your support through the last nearly two years I've been working with this, and I hope you share this project around and contribute to it however you can. Until we meet again, have a great day and a happy new year!

Return to “Film and Video”