How did Shinji Board Unit 01 in EoE?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Epilogue
Embryo

How did Shinji Board Unit 01 in EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby Epilogue » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:01 am

So I always thought that a parked Eva would have a signal termination plug in its back. I can buy that Yui would overpower that, but she would also have to pull out that plug, find an actual entry plug in all the mess, and then have it fill with LCL once Shinji is in, before sticking that right plug back into her neck. Does she even have the consciousness to do that as an Eva?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: How did Shinji Board Unit 01 in EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:23 am

The command center was still functional as the brain of Nerv HQ, with a good amount of its sensory and executive outreach left intact despite the JSSDF's efforts. Maya spent a lot of time monitoring things through a laptop, so hypothetically she could have input commands for an automatic plug swap, if she became aware that Shinji had gained access to Eva-01. Then, she was probably still reeling from what happened to the Soryus and probably not paying attention...

Alternatively, the plug was in position and ready to go. Misato DID intend on Shinji getting there and his access NOT being blocked, so it's likely she would have had the Eva prepared in advance.

FYI, we see in episode 1 that the plug is filled after it's inserted. There is some evidence that the LCL comes directly from the Eva's core.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Epilogue
Embryo

Re: Reichu

•      
  •      

Postby Epilogue » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:37 am

Thanks for that! By the way, if the LCL comes straight from the Eva, then would it be possible to "pilot" an Eva without the actual cockpit? If you were to just jump down the hatch and let the Eva assimilate you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: How did Shinji Board Unit 01 in EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:00 am

We've seen that when a pilot gets "absorbed" (from inside the plug), this simply results in the Eva exercising the greatest level of self-governance possible while in restraints. So I get the feeling that the sort of "core-diving" you propose would only hasten this process. The purpose of the technological additions is to make the Evas controllable (by a soul other than the one within the core) -- so if you start taking those away, you are in effect giving the Eva her body back.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Epilogue
Embryo

Re: Reichu

•      
  •      

Postby Epilogue » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:14 am

I see, thanks a lot! And just one last thing, why was Seele so mad when Eva 01 got itself a S2 Engine? I mean, I feel like I should research that and not bother you, but I much rather latch onto one knowledgable fan, lol.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”