Not Liking Eva and its Emotional Connection

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

Not Liking Eva and its Emotional Connection

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:11 pm

This has probably been discussed in the forum before (It's expected for one dedicated to discussion on 26 episodes and an ending movie), but I've wonder how many people who have an emotionally attatchment to Eva (Myself included) feel hurt whenever someone not like it or shit on some of it's characters.

I've always recoiled in it, and it's not at all related to fandumb. I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but Evangelion played (And still does to an extent) a role in helping me dealing with my depression. The character of Shinji especially as I practically feel like he's me to a large degree. Hearing people call Shinji a whiny character and Asuka a pretentious bitch, or saying that they like seeing Gendo verbally abuse Shinji have always made me a mix of anger and sadness; feeling it as a direct attack on me and what other people go through.

It's probably just babbling thought, but for anyone who's had this type of reaction, what are your thoughts, and for those who don't feel the same, I'd still like to hear.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Not Liking Eva and it's Emotional Connection

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:12 pm

It goes without saying that I do really give a shit about this show.

However, that said, I to some degree don't care about people's opinions about it. Perhaps it has to do with getting older. I was 16 when I got into it, and I'm 34 now. If someone doesn't like it, I'm like, whatever, you do you. It's when someone hates Eva so badly that they seek out to shit on it, troll, and piss people off that I genuinely have a problem. Being upset that someone dislikes it is a waste of effort, I would rather channel that energy into doing something proactive in the fandom.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:42 am

I just thought it was an interesting story, I don't really identify much with the characters. So nah, doesn't bother me a bit.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:14 am

Haters gonna hate. You can't be everything to everyone, and there's going to be things you like that others don't. That is the nature of individuality. I'm personally used to being the one with odd interests relative to my peers, and so it doesn't bother me when others don't share in my interests. That makes it all the more special as well when I do find someone I can talk nerdy with. That's why I love having you guys. ^_^
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:51 am

Generally I'd like to say I'm fairly chilled out now about people disliking the show. I used to be a bit down about it, especially when I first got into it and I first encountered people who really disliked it and the fandom. (That was when I joined an Anime Society in Uni, we had a lot of people who rejoiced in telling me how much better other shows were and how bad Shinji or Asuka were as characters)

As time went on though, like EvaMonkey I kinda realized that if they wanted to focus their efforts on being negative (To be honest they were the sort of people who were negative about most things, pretty typical 'cynical cool' people) then leave them too it. I didn't try to change their minds I just focused on doing what I wanted to do. I enjoyed Eva, I connected with it and I liked the fandom.

I did step away from the fandom for a time due to other ongoing things in my life but since getting back into writing my fics and being a part of it I've found a lot of joy in it. More than I would get from dealing with negative people like that. I will admit I do have moments where people do annoy me but it's mostly moments where I'm cosplaying Shinji and people feel they have a need to tell me how much they dislike him/Eva in general.

Mostly though I just focus on the positive side of it, I write my fics and put them out there. I cosplay and talk about it with people I know like it. If someone doesn't then it's up to them, I don't mind that. It's not for everyone.

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:09 am

I don't mind that much if they insult the show or the characters, as I believe that the show is not for everyone's taste (I've actually dissuaded people from it). It's only if they provide shallow critiques i.e. it's too old, it's overrated, etc.

That being said, I'd say I've been able to identify with the characters to a striking degree, unfortunately. I've had my fair share of problems that I'd like to not divulge, but they've certainly made it easier to relate with Shinji and Asuka. I don't really take offense if someone insults them, but I do find it a bit unnecessary.

People have different opinions, what can ya say.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Not Liking Eva and its Emotional Connection

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:40 pm

From Day One, I was aware that my experience of the series was an intensely personal one, and that others, perhaps more well adjusted than I, would find it mere entertainment. Such folk I could dismiss because they just didn't "get it".

Also, in the immediate aftermath, as a general anime n00b, I stuck with Evangelion SIGs, rather than more general anime communities -- and even when I did get onto /a/ a couple of years later, one just didn't have Eva threads (at least until the Rebuilds happened). So, to start with, the point of irritation was all those insensitive people trying to push that unsuitable Ikari boy on my poor wounded daughteru (though I didn't have that term to hand back in the day).

Nowadays what's irritating are the times when a potentially interesting conversation gets derailed by Red vs Blue (or anti-Red vs anti-Blue).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Geometer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Geometer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:12 pm

It is an odd show and flawed, but almost one of a kind that I couldn't be made in any other medium or circumstance other than with Anno's and anime industries problems in the 90s. Although there are shows like cowboy bebop or FMA:B that "more perfect" or "less flawed" than NGE I'm still more glad that I watched NGE than pretty much any anime and may just be my favorite work of fiction in general. I think every anime fan should have this on the top of their to watch list if they haven't and to any non anime fans I would recommend watching it if this is the only anime they will ever watch. If they don't like it that perfectly fine, although I do agree with Director Black that I dislike when people call Shinji a bitch or Asuka a cunt, Rei autistic. You may not like evangelion as a whole for whatever reasons but you should at least acknowledge that the characters are well written and painfully human.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:40 pm

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:People have different opinions, what can ya say.

But the opinions one can have may be based on a false perception of something or a lack of critical thinking. In that case the opinion is "stupid" and I may feel like Director Black. I know I shouldn't care about stuff like that but there are some things that have a huge power on me and Eva it's one of those things. I think it's a testament of how great Anno is as a creator.
Last edited by Joseki on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Geometer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Geometer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:48 pm

I think you can not like something, but still understand its value. I've never been that much of a fan of horror movies for example but I probably could tell a well made one apart from a bad one if I had too.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:11 pm

I think a lot of reasons why people feel hurt when people write off Evangelion or mediums that you do enjoy is that they either don't see how much investment and understanding that we have towards these characters, but the fact that a lot of people go out their way to say that our very opinion is in the wrong, like our very fundamental way of understanding the world is wrong.

Now, I'm not saying that everyone who dislikes Eva is like this, different strokes for different folks and all. But there's a huge different between a casual disliker, and someone who's being downright hateful to the show and your ideals.

"Eh, it just didn't emotionally connect with me, but that's just me." Vs. "Shinji is just a fucking pussy, and should die in a hole. NOBODY cares about that whinny prick."

See the difference? And I think the latter hurts most, because when more than one people act like that, it feels like they're not only attacking Shinji, but our way of thinking, as though WE OURSELVES are in the wrong.....kind of like Shinji during his descent arc.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Well, I know I really love this show, along with a few others and I don't like hearing people shit on anime (or any show for that matter) I like, but on the flip side there are quite a few anime and shows (which I will not mention here) that I like to rag on constantly as being nothing more than shined up shit.

Now, everyone is entitled to thier opinions whatever they may be. I can get over that fact pretty easily, not everyone is going to like this show, even if it is wonderful and can connect with people on a level not many shows have been able to (at least IMHO). The only other show I've ever been this connected with is the reimagined Battlestar Galactica, which had quite an intriguing plot with god thrown in the mix quite effectively.

The only time I would take umbrage with someone's negative opinion on the show is if they came here on the forum and started ragging on it, or if they started commenting on any of the fics I've written (or any of the ones I read) with how much they hate the show. That would just be in poor taste and a total dick move.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:41 pm

DarkBluePhoenix wrote:The only time I would take umbrage with someone's negative opinion on the show is if they came here on the forum and started ragging on it, or if they started commenting on any of the fics I've written (or any of the ones I read) with how much they hate the show. That would just be in poor taste and a total dick move.

Just out of curiosity, has this ever happened? I mean, has someone ever come on to this forum who professedly detests Eva? Obviously this wouldn't make logical sense, but people aren't always logical, so...
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:55 pm

I don't think it's happened (at least I hope not anyway), I was just using that as an example of what I would actually take offense to.

But you're right, people aren't always logical, so the possibility exists for that scenario to actually happen.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:26 pm

We do get the occasional troll, but they usually don't last long before the hammer drops.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:03 pm

I try to act like a rational adult, though while I might not act on it, I do occasionally feel the urge to murder, usually when it comes to specific issues of interpretation. Embarking on rants is a waste of energy tho.
Dislike of or reductionary attitudes toward Rei is the surest rage trigger, perhaps simply b/c she's one of my fav fictional characters ever, or perhaps some part of me lowkey takes it personally though I try to be beyond that.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Epilogue
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Epilogue » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:03 am

NGE is about the ONLY work of fiction that can get me riled up. I fell in love with it because I knew someone who was almost exactly like Asuka in real life, and really cared for her. So when I see people shit talk her, it feels hella personal. Guess I'm still a brat, lol.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri May 05, 2017 12:01 am

I'm fine with someone not liking Evangelion, but what really irritates me is when people say they don't like it because the main character isn't some kind of Luke Skywalker, Indiana Jones, Hollywood badass. I did feel that way for the first few episodes, but once I got it, I got it. Bennett the Sage and LittleKuribioh don't get it, and there are many others who don't. I guess they're lucky, though. It's really hard for me to enjoy adventure stories now because the heroes aren't as relatable as Shinji.

Redgirl01
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Redgirl01 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:54 am

Wow, some of these people are against others hate for Eva. You got to learn to respect others' opinions.
I am autistic with trauma and can act up, too. Sometimes I don't understand people. You just got to explain things better to me so that I can understand.

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Thu May 11, 2017 10:37 am

Before I identified with the characters more emotionally, now I evaluate Eva more coolly, but deep down it is still a matter of taste, sometimes I think this anime exaggerates in symbolic aspects, even if people say they can be real in the mind of people . Aliens probing humans and the first thing they do is psychoanalysis.
Now known as "The Flying Fortress"

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”