Regarding Shinji and Kaworu

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
RubberSoul
Lilith

Regarding Shinji and Kaworu

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:39 am

Well, somebody was gonna do it sooner or later.

Here's my view on the whole thing:

I honestly think they aren't gay at all. I think he loved Shinji like someone who loves a friend. I think Kaworu didn't realize the social implications of what he said to Shinji and he probably didn't know about the different types of love people can have for each other (platonic love and non-platonic love). He just straight-out told Shinji he loved him.

Another thing, I think in Japan males are much more affectionate towards each other and just regard it as normal behavior. In the United States affecionate gestures, such as hugging, between males is often thought of as "gay".
I can only take so much retarded.

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:05 am

The answer is quite simple really!

Kaworu was trying to fatten Shinji up so he could eat him!

:shock:
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:09 am

Also,
Another thing, I think in Japan males are much more affectionate towards each other and just regard it as normal behavior. In the United States affecionate gestures, such as hugging, between males is often thought of as "gay".

This both slighty true and hugely false.

Having had friend who visited Japan, they said that while there isn't the level of homophopia in Japan than, say, in the US.

However, They noticed people very rarely hugged or held hands...even if they were siblings :shock: !

Weird, no?
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Re: Regarding Shinji and Kaworu

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:11 am

RubberSoul wrote:Well, somebody was gonna do it sooner or later.

Here's my view on the whole thing:

I honestly think they aren't gay at all. I think he loved Shinji like someone who loves a friend. I think Kaworu didn't realize the social implications of what he said to Shinji and he probably didn't know about the different types of love people can have for each other (platonic love and non-platonic love). He just straight-out told Shinji he loved him.
I don't believe Shinji is gay.I mean he loves Asuka right?About Kaworu i'm not too sure....but i want to believe he is not.Maybe his way of thinking and how he express his feelings is different of us.After all he is an angel.

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:43 am

You have to think about this:
Kaworu and Rei are the same, they look the same, they both have angelic nature, but they are the exact oposite in human relationships.
Rei is not too friendly, she doesn't know how to show feelings, but Kaworu is full of wisdom and knows what people feels very well. He saw the troubles of Shinji, and gave him what Shinji needed, a friend, and the care and love that no one has ever give to Shinji. Of course, Kaworu maybe doesn't act normaly, but he has never being an homosexual.
*insert cool signature here*

KaworuNagisa17
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KaworuNagisa17 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:18 pm

Shinji was definitely more in love w/ Kaworu than Kaworu was w/ Shinji.
Of course, this is because Shinji had no one left.

I do agree that it was platonic, tho. If they ever went anywhere shounen-ai-wise, I'd say it'd be simple cuddles.

Nevertheless, Shinji/Kaworu is one of my favorite couples. They're a nice tradegy that was handled beautifully by Anno & Gainax.
Is Gendo Ikari gonna have to choke a bitch??

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:48 pm

I'm sure Shinji's not gay, but whether Kaworu is or not is beside the point. I may be wrong, but I thought that Kaworu was just 'attaching' himself to Shinji because he is an Eva pilot. I thought he said 'I love you' not because he actually meant it, but because he was taking advantage of Shinji's lonliness. He is the enemy after all. I think he intended on betraying Shinji from the very begining. He didn't exactly stop when Shinji yelled at him. Kaworu didn't seem like he loved Shinji there to me.

So I guess seeing Lilith changed his mind about destroying the world and Shinji with it? Maybe he understood what makes humans tick, or maybe he actually felt something for him as a human being towards the end. I think Shinji killed him not because of his duty, but because he knew Kaworu was taking advantage of him, and betrayed him, Shinji wanted to cut his head off - he wanted to kill him.

Then, of course, in true Shinji fashion, felt guilty about it afterwards because he needs love so bad.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:11 pm

At that point I believe Shinji was mentally destroyed that the last thing on his mind was a getting some from an andyrogenous pretty boy.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:59 am

Yea, Kawrou was never gay. He was, as many others have said, very affectionate and showed his feelings without hesitation. And you also have to remember he was trying to get as close as as possible to Shinji as his mission so that would explain a lot too.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:19 am

Yea, Kawrou was never gay

I'm sure that revelation will come as a shock to many fan girls.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:44 am

Karma Burn wrote:I'm sure that revelation will come as a shock to many fan girls.

What do you mean?

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:46 am

Yea, Kawrou was never gay

Which makes it strange that you can end up with him in Iron Maiden 2 (I think that's the game). It seems Gainax doesn't care about their characters anymore. There's Eva strip poker as well.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:07 pm

Karma Burn wrote:
I'm sure that revelation will come as a shock to many fan girls.

What do you mean?

Argh. My cynicism seems to be wasted here.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:06 pm

That why its called a forum , :roll: .
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:25 pm

Kaworu is not gay. End of story. Girlfriend of Steel 2 was just a stupid dating sim game made so Gainax could make more money.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:45 pm

An excellent point............

But it dosn't chang the fact that that little scene scared me for life........ I've kind of had a grudge against Karwou since then though.....
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:49 pm

coff wrote:Kaworu is not gay. End of story. Girlfriend of Steel 2 was just a stupid dating sim game made so Gainax could make more money.

I'm aware of that. I was simply saying that Gainax seems to care nothing of its characters, because they're willing to bend the characters' wills to meet that of the fans' wishes (Iron Maiden). As well as exploit them to fans for sexual gratification (Eva strip poker).
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:58 pm

I was simply saying that Gainax seems to care nothing of its characters, because they're willing to bend the characters' wills to meet that of the fans' wishes

Despite making hella cool anime, Gianax has officially made it on to my hate list with that one. I absolutely cannot stand it when shit like that happens! That's why I'm not much for fanfics. Usually the author takes the characters where ever he or, especially SHE (damn yaoi obessed fangirls!) wants. If you're going to write something at least do the characters justice and stay in their character!

Cyanna
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cyanna » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:32 pm

Nephilim wrote:You have to think about this:
Kaworu and Rei are the same, they look the same, they both have angelic nature, but they are the exact oposite in human relationships.
Rei is not too friendly, she doesn't know how to show feelings, but Kaworu is full of wisdom and knows what people feels very well. He saw the troubles of Shinji, and gave him what Shinji needed, a friend, and the care and love that no one has ever give to Shinji. Of course, Kaworu maybe doesn't act normaly, but he has never being an homosexual.

That was exactly my theory. :)

Whether or not you believe Kaworu has a gender there is still his behavior to look at.

Rei does not know how to show what she is feeling. She is probably more emotional then she appears but she just doesn't know how to show it. But Kaworu does know how to show what he is feeling. But the thing is that Kaworu is not restricted by the acceptable limits of society. Rei's emotions are confined within her own mind with very little release while Kaworu has practically no confinement at all (I guess being the Angel of "Free Will" will do that). That being said, if he really was gay, he'd probably make a push to get it on with Shinji when they spent the night together in seperate beds.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:45 pm

However, They noticed people very rarely hugged or held hands...even if they were siblings!

Great! I hate physical contact!

Oh, and I've got nothing to say regarding the topic.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”