Who is the EVA character you feel most sorry for?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Snow
Lilith

Who is the EVA character you feel most sorry for?

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:45 am

As stated above, who is the character you feel most sympathy towards and why?

Altrough you could argue that almost every single character in the show is somewhat miserable and deeply hurt, i would go for Rei II. A purpose-created clone of someone else, without any social capabilities or other meaning of existence than to comply orders is quite a fate to have.
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Who is the EVA character you feel most sorry for?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:00 pm

In the show, the one that I feel has least fulfillment and so earns my sympathy is Kaworu.

In Rebuild, ReiQ - the reasons you give for Rei II are all the more stark in that version.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:14 pm

I have trouble exactly defining my thoughts on Nagisa, since he is somewhat of a shady character on the show. He appears to be self-confident during his appearances and is aware of his surroundings. Although we do not get to exactly see things from his perspective, he seems to be relatively content.

I'm not really into Rebuild, so i can not exactly judge Rei II from rebuild.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:31 pm

They're all reprehensible little shits, Shinji especially. The only pure character is Rei, and she gets all my hugs.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:10 pm

^^ Kaworu (in the series) is like a dragonfly (damsel fly); he emerges fully-formed and beautiful from his chrysalis to perform the limited role that fate has decreed for him, only to discover that it must end in death within hours/days. How can anyone not be sad for him?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:21 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:^^ Kaworu (in the series) is like a dragonfly (damsel fly); he emerges fully-formed and beautiful from his chrysalis to perform the limited role that fate has decreed for him, only to discover that it must end in death within hours/days. How can anyone not be sad for him?

You do make a good point on that, i must admit. You have to remember the difference between Ayanami and Nagisa though. While Nagisa only gets to live such a short period of time, it is a sweet release for him. Ayanami on the contrary, is condemned to continue her suffering. It is no wonder she seeks death.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Kaworu actually seems to have a grand time with his doomed life even if he generally only makes things worse, and his death is always his own choice.

ReiQ is unquestionably the saddest of the sad little girls.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:43 pm

Kaworu's short life is something he accepts much easier than the other characters, as well as something he enjoyed while he was alive.

I empathize much more with characters like Shinji and Asuka (original series), so they get my vote.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:06 pm

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:Kaworu's short life is something he accepts much easier than the other characters, as well as something he enjoyed while he was alive.

I empathize much more with characters like Shinji and Asuka (original series), so they get my vote.

Well they both have had difficult situations. Both have one of their parents dead, Asuka has mommy-issues, and Ikari has daddy-issues. Ikari's personality does give him some empathy, although within limits. His personality is responsible for many of the problems he faces, after all. And the same goes for Asuka, although most people warmed up more for her near the end of the series, when she broke down.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:48 pm

Shinji. No contest.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Kaworu is more a cipher than an actual character. :3

Though that said, I am probably more moe for Kyoko, Dr. Katsuragi, and the Angels than any of the actually developed cast. So yeah.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:53 pm

This character:
SPOILER: Show
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:22 pm

No nonfictional persons who don't actually appear as characters in the work, CF. :p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:25 am

Ritsuko. End of Evangelion really highlighted her self-hatred and showed at her most vulnerable. Ritz was probably one of the secondary characters in Eva that had profound effect me. Like Shin-chan, she just wants to be loved and desperately seeking/craving the intimacy many of the characters want.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:22 pm

Either Asuka or Ritsuko. Their mothers' suicides both had profound effects on them.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Rei Q in rebuild and the Rei in the manga and anime and Asuka as her back story is just so tragic.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:37 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:^^ Kaworu (in the series) is like a dragonfly (damsel fly); he emerges fully-formed and beautiful from his chrysalis to perform the limited role that fate has decreed for him, only to discover that it must end in death within hours/days. How can anyone not be sad for him?

And it gets worse: the role in question consists of crushing the heart of a boy who only ever wanted to be loved, and in so doing ensure that he will accept oblivion when the time comes. And so Kaworu is limited to but a single role, and that role is to act as an agent of extinction for an entire world. Such a cruel fate, indeed!

As for my own pick: Asuka, of course. From day one she was just a girl raging against the machine, screaming and demanding to be seen, heard, noticed, acknowledged. And Nerv ground her up and spit her out, making it clear in no uncertain terms that she was not important. And then, at the end, when she comes back to life, she comes back to him. Maybe for his sake, maybe for her own, but bound to him regardless. That's a raw deal for a 13-year-old kid.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Sohryu Asuka Langley, of course. She is the one who comes closest to being the innocent victim even in the original series alone, without having a movie that sets out to kerb-stomp her.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:29 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Sohryu Asuka Langley, of course. She is the one who comes closest to being the innocent victim even in the original series alone, without having a movie that sets out to kerb-stomp her.

I'm not really sure about her innocence, as with any other character. She does after all, have some quite negative personality traits to make life more difficult not only for others, but most importantly, for herself. Deep down we get to see what she is though, but that doesn't exactly justify her means. What comes to being a victim, she is a victim of fate, like everyone else.

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:25 am

Reichu wrote:No nonfictional persons who don't actually appear as characters in the work, CF. :p

Anno is Eva, though.

But okayyyyyy, I guess I should give a real answer. I probably feel most sorry for Ritsuko, honestly. Can't really pinpoint why, it just feels like she had the least relief from all the crapiness in her life compared to all the other characters.

Bagheera wrote:And it gets worse: the role in question consists of crushing the heart of a boy who only ever wanted to be loved, and in so doing ensure that he will accept oblivion when the time comes.

Never thought about it this way, jeez. But that's definitely not official, right? I knew that SEELE had planned to doom Kaworu to his death, but did they really plan for Kaworu to befriend Shinji? And wasn't their preferred plan for Third Impact to have themselves be the ones in charge of everything, not Shinji? Because if that's so, then "ensuring that he wil accept oblivion when the time comes" is really only useful for plan B.
I really want to think this is true, but it just seems a bit implausible to me. Am I missing something?
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”