Game Boy question

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Game Boy question

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:46 am

Last year I picked up a secondhand Game Boy, and for a while it worked just fine. But lately there have been some problems with the battery contacts. The machine doesn't start because of the acid leaking into them, so I have to clean them off manually. The game usually works well for a while after that, but then the battery acid starts eating away at the contacts again. Do you have any advice, short of cleaning off the battery contacts each time I play?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: Game Boy question

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:51 am

Are the batteries you're using constantly leaking, or is it residual acid from a previous leak? Also, any pictures of the GB would help.

If it's from a previous leak, you may need to clean the contacts more throughly than you have.

If it's the batteries you're using, what brand are they, and how are they being stored?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:06 am

Thanks for the prompt reply. Here's a picture of the battery case: Image
The upper metal plate has blackish flecks on it that i think might be caused by battery acid; I've taken the batteries out for the time being so as to prevent it from getting any worse. As for the batteries themselves, three of them are Duracells and one is an Energizer; all of them are AAs. I think the issue must be with the batteries themselves, since the device seems to run just fine as long as it's clean, and it only started doing this recently.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:24 am

No problem, I've been playing Game Boys long enough, might as well help where I can, and with something I'm familiar with.

Ah, there's your issue. You should never mix batteries from different manufacturers or fresh and used batteries. It tends to lead to trouble. The brand mixing is an issue because of differences in manufacturing methods and how quickly those different batteries decrease in potential power, which leads me to this next point, never mix old and new batteries as it has to do with a lot of chemistry stuff I can't remember this late at night.it's something to do with current potentials, but I'm tired, so the science is not coming to me.

But doing so can lead to excessive battery wear and or acid leakage. So, just switch our for four new batteries after recreating the contacts and that should fix the issue.

Also, how did you clean out the acid before?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:50 am

Thank you. I'll let you know if it works!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:21 am

Get a pack of NIHM batteries and a charger. I picked some up in a store for my (now-defunct) digital camera over ten years ago and never looked back. Panasonic's eneloop brand is good.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:37 pm

Personally, I would just recommend picking up a GBA SP on the cheap, it's a much better experience than an original DMG Game Boy.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”