Serious Discussion has been permanently locked

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Serious Discussion has been permanently locked

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:24 pm

The staff have decided that we will no longer be supporting the Serious Discussion subforum, for the following reasons:

• As we are an ideologically heterogeneous community, EGF does not officially "pick a side" on certain hot-button issues, which increases the difficulty of moderating serious discussions about them.
  • As divisions escalate in the broader culture, the above becomes more pronounced.
  • As we are committed to civil discourse, we are resolved not to let any part of the site descend into an unmoderated free-for-all.
  • As we already struggle to define and enforce our conception of civil discourse on the rest of the site, it is that much more difficult when applied to the uniquely divisive Serious Discussion subforum.
  • As we on the staff are finite beings with limited time, attention, and patience, there is a breaking point where the demands of a difficult subforum can exceed our ability and willingness to deal with it.

The removal of any one of these problems might be enough to keep the subforum going, but none of these is likely to go away any time soon, so we're shutting it down.

This was a collective decision arrived at after a lengthy process. This thread is for public feedback on the decision.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Serious Discussion has been permanently locked

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Hey was probably for the best.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:46 pm

Thank you.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Good.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:50 pm

We were alienating each other and eating each other alive for simple disagreements. . .

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:34 pm

Kind of a shame, but I support the decision. I can see why it needed to be done, as I rarely wanted to post there anymore due to the animosity building there.

Though, say I had a lawyer friend who explained in simple terms the decision of the 9th Circuit regarding the travel ban. (He adds no bias or opinion as to whether or not he agrees with the courts desicion, he simply explains it in layman's terms.) Can I still post it in EvaGeeks? If so, where?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Off-Topic, presumably.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:27 pm

If we want to talk about gender issues, whitewashing, etc in film, can we discuss those issues in the appropriate topics?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:41 pm

We haven't worked all the details out yet, but in the meantime... maybe take it to Paul's place?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:04 am

Well, I hope you do soon. I hope I can talk about Suicide Squad being an essay on millenial ennui or Iron Man 3 being about the way superhero movies trivialize killing without getting slapped down for it, and I'd like to know if I can't.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:29 am

Being caught in the crossfire of those threads didn't make me realize how this was inching up closer on us. I can see people looking back on this as a museum of everyone's worst traits and impulse, myself included.

Well, no used crying over spilled milk. Though I wonder how many people will incorporate some elements brought up in Serious Discussion when it relates to a topic.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:58 pm

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:I can see people looking back on this as a museum of everyone's worst traits and impulse, myself included.

That would be the best for everyone. And ounce of humility does everybody some good but topics such as those causes everyone to rather down a cyanide tablet than share a slice of humble pie. Forums are nothing more than an online convention of people to gather and discuss whatever, an E-Party, and the same rules apply as a IRL Party: You don't bring volatile topics to a friendly gathering.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:09 pm

I thought of it as more of a drawing room with cigars and brandy but hey, whatchagonnado.
the prophecy is true

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:09 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:That would be the best for everyone. And ounce of humility does everybody some good but topics such as those causes everyone to rather down a cyanide tablet than share a slice of humble pie. Forums are nothing more than an online convention of people to gather and discuss whatever, an E-Party, and the same rules apply as a IRL Party: You don't bring volatile topics to a friendly gathering.

That depends on how friendly the gathering is. If you and your friends agree on some basic ground rules for civil discourse you can discuss pretty much anything. If you don't, well . . . :shrug:

But of course you can pick your friends. You can't really pick the participants of an internet forum, and given that EGF is a magnet for people with social issues (and I count myself among them!) it's not surprising a forum dedicated to serious discussion would be difficult to manage.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:14 pm

I requested to have access to the SD forum restricted for myself around the time of the election, because I know enough about myself that I would not have had the patience or the mental serenity to post in that forum after the results of the election and that it was probably going to descend into a veritable Thunderdome. It seems to me that the shutdown of the entire subforum was due to this one area, but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I still think that there should be some sort of place where serious topics should be discussed (such as depression, sexuality, etc) without being overtly about politics.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:53 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:But of course you can pick your friends. You can't really pick the participants of an internet forum, and given that EGF is a magnet for people with social issues (and I count myself among them!) it's not surprising a forum dedicated to serious discussion would be difficult to manage.

Why else do you think people with social issues come to a forum that centers around anime dealing almost every personal issue known to man? :tongueflap:
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:33 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:It seems to me that the shutdown of the entire subforum was due to this one area, but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

it was already a trash fire before that, the election just added gasoline and tires.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:03 am

Wow, gone for a few days with no internet, and I miss that other shoe dropping. As some have said, it was only a matter of time before that happened. I mean, if you needed the definition of a powder keg, just look at any one of those topics... so it was probably for the best in the long-run for the health and sanity of the forum.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:43 pm

Thank you for doing this.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:57 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I still think that there should be some sort of place where serious topics should be discussed (such as depression, sexuality, etc) without being overtly about politics.

While I don't usually post in serious discussion I used to lurk it. The brexit/trump topics were a mess but other topics were really interesting and less divisive. I think a "ban" on politics will be enough.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”