Anno and the Depression

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Cobadome
Embryo

Anno and the Depression

•      
  •      

Postby Cobadome » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:30 am

Hey my question is anybody knows more about hideaki anno and his diseasis at the production of eva and now. Only thing i heard was he has depressions. Im very intrested in his person. Thanks :huh:

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Anno and the Depression

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:27 pm

I don't think much has been revealed in terms of his actual diagnosis, but from all accounts, it seems as though he had clinical depression resulting from an artistic burnout brought on by the hectic production and executive meddling involved with Nadia and the later failure of the Honneamise sequel (which he was slated to direct) to materialize beyond pre-production. That isn't to say that he probably didn't have minor issues beforehand; these circumstances and events just caused them to be exacerbated.

If I'm remembering correctly, he had recovered by the time NGE began production, probably because he could channel all of his energies into working for once (there's a big gap in his resume between 1991 and 1995), but then directly after the series ended, he collapsed into, supposedly, an even worse depression, probably triggered by the fact that he yet again didn't have work to occupy his time and the fact that he very publicly aired many of his deep personal issues, which he had channeled into several characters in the show and probably felt some degree of humiliation after the fact for having done so.

However, he recovered to work on End of Evangelion and has been relatively happy since, having been working fairly regularly on a variety of projects and having been married to an attractive woman whom he seems to love immensely.

Then after 3.0, he fell back into a depression, the cause of which is more vague, bit seems to be because of the rigors of the film he had just completed. (Though, he emerged from 1.0 and 2.0 unscathed, so one wonders)

There's some documents and interviews floating around the internet that may paint a clearer picture than what I've posted. The program where he teaches kids about animation that was filmed at some point in '98 or '99 also is valuable for the profile it paints of the man.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Cobadome
Embryo

Re: Anno and the Depression

•      
  •      

Postby Cobadome » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:46 am

hey thank you for the answer ^_^ now its more clear to me. I really like anno :tongue:

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”