For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

stef_ruvx
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby stef_ruvx » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:03 pm

///
Last edited by stef_ruvx on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Evangelion Analysis YouTubers

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:15 am

I'm not sure if Discussion is the right place for this. But regardless, I ask that all video links also be accompanied with a reason why someone should click. A title and creator isn't enough; tell us why you think others might find the video of value.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:58 am

Yeah this isn't really discussion but it's kinda sorta relevant??? Youtube anime analysis has like quietly become a thing in the past 3-2 years. Like people just all started doing it around the same time. Anyways, I wouldn't overly rely on youtube analysis vids. I watch them a lot for fun and am constantly checking to see if anyone has anything new to say on there. That being said a lot of them have problems mainly because youtube is just a shitty place for discussion. It's not the people it's the format. You can't really dispute a video and if you do you kinda just get drowned in the comment section. So what ends up happening is you get a bunch of people who are persuaded by the vid but are watching the video very passively so they can't/don't disagree or they simply lack relevant information. And the people who do have legitimate responses don't really have a platform to let people know. These vids are fun but it's way better to like actually read.
Eva forums(anything written really)>>>>>youtube. So I'll give some examples :

sudoStef --- Evangelion Finale Explained: Why Choking?
This video is actually based off something I wrote my self on this site so I'm not just criticizing for the sake of criticizing.
1) he doesn't present the counter arguments. Which is important because I imagine people would want to know that Anno has said he didn't read philosophy after watching an argument involving hegel and philosophy. People on forums did make this point.
2) he added a part about masturbation scene. I don't I know why but like it was unnecessary to argument but passive viewers don't notice.
3) He doesn't really talk about the final lines translation. Nether did I but it's a lot safer to assume people on this site are aware of this vs people on youtube and I say it's my opinion he doesn't. It's important because if you don't clarify that it's opinion then it comes off as if it's too obvious to be wrong. For passive viewers or new fans this is not good since they will take it as truth; basing this off the comment section responses.

Digibro ----
This guy straddles the line between hardcore opinion and analysis in a large majority of his vids; they are very shallow analysis albeit entertaining. If you aren't familiar with what a good argument looks like then you won't notice. So my advice is to take whatever this guy says with a grain of salt. I'm guessing when and if he ever gets to further episodes in evangelion then the problems with his analysis style will become apparent because the show gets tougher the further in you go and opinion based analysis won't cut it.

GoatJesus - This guy made a video about Humanistic psychology in Eva( basically a form of psychology mixed existentialism). I went into the video with a bias(I already agreed) but I'm not an expert on the subject so I'm really just guessing. So I go into the vid thinking cool someone who knows enough about this to actually make the a good case for it. Problem is he never gives examples and he just talks as if its obvious. If it where obvious I wouldn't consider my opinion a guess. So again entertaining video but very shallow analysis. Also this is like probably the biggest problem. Anime You tubers are toooo comfortable with saying things without examples.

Don't get me wrong youtube is a nice resource and I'm not trying to bad mouth them but my point is just don't over rely on these vids since it's extremely easy to watch them passively and there isn't anyone to let you know if they are wrong plus the youtubers themselves don't really have an incentive to inform you. It's much better to go do the leg work yourself then letting youtubers inform you. Super especially if you are new to the series.

That being said I do have some links to share with you. Enjoy:

Senpizzle- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3d1cM ... rT4MJDloBg
He's new but I like what he has so far. My favorite vid of his is about Asuka role as tsundere. Was pretty interesting.

Evangelion Analysis project- https://www.youtube.com/user/EvaAnalysisProject
He is doing analysis of individual characters from the show. Slow upload but he's been doing it for a while so he has a decent amount of vids up now.

ReVolutionOfEva - https://www.youtube.com/user/ReVolutionOfEva
Just a bunch of vids. This channel is old but there is a decent amount of interesting content.

And since this is evageeks might as well mention that Evamonkey has a channel:
Evamoneky - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8kVxu ... 7O432cmM2g
Do more vids guy.
Last edited by zlink64 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:10 am

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:ReVolutionOfEva - https://www.youtube.com/user/ReVolutionOfEva
Just a bunch of vids. This channel is old but there is a decent amount of interesting content.

Ugh, V. I remember him creating a puppet account after he got banned from here, just for the purpose of getting information from us and then using it in his videos without credit. When I eventually confronted him about this (specifically the unapologetic use of data I had taken quite a bit of time to compile), he acted as though he was entitled to it. A disgrace; don't give him your hits.

I would personally find the video format completely unsuited for analysis because my knowledge is constantly being expanded and my ideas honed. Any video would thus quickly become obsolete, and it's far more simple to edit a pictorial essay (that could also link to specific video clips on on as-needed basis) than to revise, re-encode, and re-upload a video. I say this in full recognition of the fact that writing revisions require a toll of blood, sweat, and tears; I imagine a video would require my skin and bones on top of that.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:48 pm

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:And since this is evageeks might as well mention that Evamonkey has a channel:
Evamoneky - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8kVxu ... 7O432cmM2g
Do more vids guy.

Trying! Holidays, MAGFest, sickness, and life really interfered the past two months. Although I think most of the content will be descriptive in nature rather than analytical.

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:31 pm

I don't see much of a difference from the analysis from YT then from other analysis around the net. They talk about the same thing, same characters, same toxic relationships, same pointless symbols, same making excuses for Shinji, same praising of anno, same pointless attempt to turn EOE into a disney movie where everybody lives happily ever after. Instead of being creative and unique, they just want to piggyback off of what other people been doing for years just to get likes and subscribe to their videos.

Although I did see a video by rouge feminist about how Shinji and gendo like to use females for their own selfish needs. The only eva video on YT where someone is finally telling it like it is.
Kensuke not a saint but at least he's not a psycho jerking off to a girl in a comma.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:18 pm

I'm lowkey mad V never stole my montage analysis and claimed it was his. Gotta step my game up.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:09 am

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:Shinji and gendo like to use females for their own selfish needs.

Gendo manipulates and uses everyone to further his scenario, not just females.

Also, Gendo only shot Ritsuko after she betrayed him; she had him at gunpoint no less. His actions we not entirely unprovoked.

rogue feminist

Her analysis is significantly flawed.

She makes the point that he Shinji takes out his frustrations on women and attacks them rather than his father. I would like to submit this excerpt from episode 20 to counter that:

Shinji: ENEMY, ENEMY, ENEMY, ENEMY.[images of Gendo are flashed] My ENEMY! My ENEMY!! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! You injured Toji and killed Mother! FATHER!!! [next cuts shows Shinji lunging Evangelion Unit 01 and its progressive knife seemingly in a murderous rage towards Gendo]

Again, this happens in episode 20, when Shinji is considerably less mentally broken than he is by the time EOE starts and the actions against women that she cites (The hospital scene, choking Asuka twice in EOE) occur. He despises his father and seeks acceptance in the arms of comforting women, whom he is attracted by due to:

A. Maternal Nature (Rei)
B. Passion and Personality (Asuka)
C. A combinaton of both (Misato)

Is it sexist or misogynistic to seek acceptance from someone you're attracted to? Because I'm pretty sure that's the the case with everyone who has a crush or has fallen in love with someone.

And she never once mentions how aggressive and bullying Asuka is towards him sometimes. Does that just get swept under the rug to further her own point? And Shinji likes Asuka despite how terribly she acts towards him.

You could also make the same argument in the case of Asuka that she makes for Shinji: This idea that there have to be "expectations" out of men in this instance. Asuka is shown to be at least moderately attracted to Shinji (in episode 22), but she's absolutely disgusted with herself for being attracted to someone who doesn't fulfill her idea of masculinity.

Asuka: Why are you there, damn you?! You don't do anything! You won't help me, you won't even hold me! You're no one! No one! NO ONE! Why won't you look at me?!
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:53 am

I've watched that video and it is really flawed because it brings up none of the issues with Misato not being a parent figure, Risuko her mother or Rei and Asuka who as Guy snacks has pointed out expects a certain masculinity from Shinji while herself acting like the angery abusive husband type and expecting him to cook, clean and make beds. Though I won't say that the male characters are not flawed and problematic in my view the series makes it really clear that the female characters are just as flawed and problematic and can be just as unfair towards the male characters.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:00 am

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:Although I did see a video by rouge feminist about how Shinji and gendo like to use females for their own selfish needs. The only eva video on YT where someone is finally telling it like it is.

I would call it bad analytical skills if the person can't tell when it's inappropriate to use a feminist lens. And yes there are times, regardless of how subjective opinions are, for a "lenses" to be inappropriate. For example a christian lens on Evangeline would be inappropriate unless you wanted to talk specifically about christian culture in Japanese culture ... or something like that and not specifics about the show itself.

If the person was conscious of what they were doing then I wouldn't call it bad but I wouldn't call it an analysis either. Haven't seen the vid though. Will go watch it just out of boredom.

Also Sudostef made a new video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArapHa9N87Y . Haven't seen it. Pretty long. General Asuka character analysis.
hmmm

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:08 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:I'm lowkey mad V never stole my montage analysis and claimed it was his. Gotta step my game up.

Dude, stop, that's like saying Beetlejuice or Bloody Mary three times.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:24 pm

I think focusing on how Shinji and Gendo specifically interact with women (and only their interactions with women) rather misses the point, and fails to give the show the feminist cred it deserves. Misato and in particular Asuka are railing against conventional expectations in a big way, to the point where Asuka is literally fighting agents of the Patriarchy in the form of the MPEs (which are essentially giant mobile dicks). And just when she's about to crush them they cheat, laying her low, before humanity's progenitor goddess goes "lolno" and turns the whole plan on its head.

Really, instead of looking at how Shinji and Gendo treat women in the show one should instead look at how the show itself treats women. Its treatment is not kind, but in the process of inflicting its cruelty it has an awful lot to say about men and women and how they interact. It's about as solidly pro-feminist as you can get without going into full-blown Ikuhara mode.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:35 pm

Sounds like the "confusing depiction for endorsement" problem. A fairly common novice mistake. One can only hope the creator of the video eventually grows out of it.

I also notice that we've all been commenting on an analysis that hasn't actually been linked to. I don't plan on watching it, but maybe others would like to come to their own conclusions on the matter.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:55 am

Youtuber: JimJam's Anime Jamboree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE-dchl_QiE

This guy made a video about Anno's use of camera in the EoE's final scene. He talks about how Anno used film techniques to create a sense of isolation and discomfort. It was very good and I think it deserve a moment of your time.
hmmm

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:04 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Her analysis is significantly flawed.

I looked this vid up on a whim today, and yeah, I gotta agree. You can find it here if interested. The main problem with the video is one of omission: she notes that Shinji and Gendo use women for their own selfish needs, but fails to note that they are surrounded by women and have few personal relationships with men. Shinji lives with Misato and Asuka, and he works closely with Rei. Who else is he going to reach out to for comfort? Who else is even available to him? He doesn't reach out to Touji, but he doesn't reach out to Hikari, either. He doesn't live or work with either, so they're not exactly pillars of support. And what about Maya or Ritsuko? He works with them as closely as with anyone else at Nerv, and yet I don't think anyone would claim he uses them. He treats them about the same as he treats Shigeru, Hyuga, or Fuyutsuko.

I'm not sure it works with Gendo, either. Yes, he's abusive toward Ritsuko, and he never even bothers to talk to Asuka, but OTOH his relationship with Shinji is terrible and he seems to be relatively indifferent toward Misato. Where's the misogyny there? He's enough of a misanthrope that I have trouble finding any meaningful way to view his behavior through a gendered lens.

So, not really a strong argument. Her heavy focus on EoE doesn't help matters.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri May 12, 2017 8:14 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote: Its treatment is not kind, but in the process of inflicting its cruelty it has an awful lot to say about men and women and how they interact. It's about as solidly pro-feminist as you can get without going into full-blown Ikuhara mode.

^THIS. Anno did his research here as much as you'd expect it in the era. Gendo's an equal opportunity misanthrope, and Shinji's an inexperienced teenager lacking a firm center who kind of gets exposed to different people & beliefs and partially mimicks what he thinks people expect of him.

I mean I'm not saying it's all 100% perfect (is anything? I could name a few wonky points) some of the slapstick could have aged better but in the end it's mostly depiction of flawed characters with a variety of opinions that aren't necessarily right. I mean the arcs of Asuka, Ritsuko & Misato include a lot of societally-critical elements in that regard and most of all the main ladies are all complex, varied 3D characters, many of them quite competent (which is all you'd ever want from a show that's not explicitly about feminist topics - just have them be proper characters. That's literally all anyone is asking, varied, noncliched, proper characters beyond just a few fixed roles. )

As a very archetypical, visceral work EVA isn't suited to being seen through a tumblresque lens of "One True Acceptable Correctness & everything needs to be read super seriously", especially since it predates certain current cultural phenomena
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ThatOneEvaPoster
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ThatOneEvaPoster » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:04 am

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp2LL8 ... VgfDGZIXgw

There's this guy Joji Matthews who I see on r/evangelion from time to time, He's been doing some pesudo-academic videos on evangelion

Return to “Fan Works”