Hands in 'Evangelion' and the Libido/Destrudo Duality [Split]

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Hands in 'Evangelion' and the Libido/Destrudo Duality [Split]

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:20 am

Though book Harry came first and manga Shinji came second.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

lilim
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby lilim » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:30 pm

that's true!
i wonder what made them want to give Shinji a better sense of humor?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:37 pm

View Original Postlilim wrote:that's true!
i wonder what made them want to give Shinji a better sense of humor?

Perhaps it translates aspects of his character better when presented in manga form, as opposed to animation with audio and such. And then there's "blah blah, Sadamoto doesn't understand Shinji, only Anno can do Eva, etc".
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:12 pm

I don't it was mentioned but before the already discussed caresse/strangling scene in EoE there's this cut:

SPOILER: Show

Asuka's right arm on the left and Shinji's right left arm on the right with nothing between them. They still are two different poles, male and female, introvert and estrovert, but "impenetrable wall of Jericho" tumbled down and they can finally have each other.

On a similar note I think there are this two scene from Episode 23 and Q:

Between Shinji's hand and the other there's an obstacle, a wall, in the form of the SDAT.
Both Misato and Kaworu were never really understood by Shinji, and probably they never understand him. Both died for what they believed was right for Shinji without having a full grasp of what he really needed.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Hands in 'Evangelion' and the Libido/Destrudo Duality [Split] Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:57 am

The Hands of Clannad.

Perhaps this can serve as a primer or provide a vocabulary to express whatever it is believed Evangelion is doing with its own "hands".
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:24 pm

While sleep-deprived and looking over the FGC last night, I noticed something about Ritsuko's hand in this cut.

This is, of course, yet another hand shot. The interesting thing about this one, is what it represents. Here, Ritsuko is raising a hand against Tokita and his characterization of the Eva as a "hysterical woman".

Now, Ritsuko's hand here looks quite rough from work. Doesn't look like she moisturizes often, or takes any particular care to her hand's appearance. Perhaps, this is supposed to represent that she rejects traditional femininity and its passive ideal. She's assuming a more "masculine" role, which is why she's raising her hand as an act of "rebellion" against Tokita's male dominance? Does this make any sense?

I ask, because now that I've slept, it still seems to work for me...
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”