Scene from ep 22 of director's cut. Thoughts please.

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Scene from ep 22 of director's cut. Thoughts please.

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:43 am

This is from the scene when Asuka call Kaji and gets no response. She at a trains station and she sees Shinji and Rei accross the platform.:
Pic of Rei and Shinji: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4m6i91y3PypaW1qOUhqS0hIYVE and Pic of Asuka: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4m6i91y3PypaG1fWXhfUHp3SHM

I'm getting jealousy vibes off this scene. Like not only is she jealous of Shinji but also of Rei. Like Jealous that Shinji is number 1 and also jealous of Rei because she is with Shinji. But not sure because I'm mainly getting that just because of the shot of both Rei and Shinji. Just thought it was weird. Wanted to hear others views/opinions on this or like if they agree or not and why...anything really. Also anyone have any thoughts on why it parallels when Shinji is looking at Rei and Gendo from afar earlier in the show.

TY.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: Scene from ep 22 of director's cute. Thoughts please.

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:55 am

You can also compare it to a little remarked Toji hallucination scene in episode 19

As for episode 5, the difference is context. I do think there's a strong sense of wounded jealousy in the way Shinji mecha-spies on Gendo and Rei in epsiode 5. Not shock but envy. It comes immediately after the Phys Ed scene where Toji asks him how he knows Rei and he just stops dead. Then in this scene happens. The sound! The sound is important! Nestled in the maternal womb, bathing in the amniotic lcl, Shinji stupefies and the only sound can be heard is the incubator hum of the machines! (in 1.01 they overlay it with announcer chatter which I hate but the point is Shinji can't hear what they're saying and we can't hear anything). The emphasis is not on shock but silence.

Between this scene and episode 22 we have Shinji experiencing the shock and isolation of being introduced to NERV but the whole arc especially episode 5 progresses pretty well for him. She begins the scene wondering why Kaji won't answer her calls and by the end of it's quite a dramatic collapse. (Like, this is why I didn't like Ha she only slaps Rei because she's in the middle of a breakdown. Shikinami is more familiar with a spin-kick than a handshake.) The 'horrible truth' of the kiss scene is only revealed in 22. So much of Asuka's characterization comes from just one episode - much of it Director's Cut!

Good job...[checks wiki] Akira Takamura!

PS surprisingly Asuka actually has a similar scene in ep. 24 draft 1

INT. NERV HQ - THIRD LAB

Asuka enters and tries to raise the ramp to Unit 02.

Asuka: Alright, I wonder if both me and Unit 02 are in good condition today.

RITSUKO'S VOICE: (Over the PA) Wait a second. I'm sorry, but Asuka you're on standby.

Asuka: Standby…

RITSUKO'S VOICE: The Fifth Child will be taking Unit 02 today.

We see Shinji and Kaworu in their plugsuits on an upper landing.

KAWORU: I thought you hated me, Shinji.

Shinji: Why……?

KAWORU: I kinda got the feeling you were avoiding me.

Shinji: I wasn't trying to.

KAWORU: Really?

Shinji: Really……

We hear Kaworu and Shinji giggling.

Asuka: ……

Oh, Asuka.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Asuka's view on Shinji is one of both hope and resentment. Despite her claiming to love Kaji, she's secretly looking at Shinji as a back-up...not just because she wants to be a woman, but she sees Shinji as what she's truly like: a scared, little child not ready to endure the life as an Eva pilot but in it to make herself feel worthwhile.

Which is why it makes perfect sense that after getting no response from [A dead] Kaji, she sees Shinji's happily talking to Rei despite having been trapped in the Eva for little over a month in Episode 20. With her not knowing that Shinji's still unhappy, she is jealous with a face value interpretation that Shinji can just get over an experience like that.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:57 pm

That's an interesting rough draft. Yeah Originally I figured the scene is pretty straight forward in that its just her being jealous because of her pride/eva pilot stuff. I just wanted make sure. Scene is just weird to me because of the Kaji and then going to Shinji and Rei. Like it's hard for me to tell if I'm making more of it than I should. I'm thinking I am.

Thanks. Input was appreciated.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”