Recommendations on where to post NGE fan-fictions

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

The Divine Emperor
Embryo
Location: A wild weird clime that lieth, sublime, out of Space, out of Time

Recommendations on where to post NGE fan-fictions

•      
  •      

Postby The Divine Emperor » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Greetings, all. I just discovered this forum last Christmas (had perused the wiki on occasion prior), and am thrilled to find a thriving and thoughtful community of fellow Evangelion fans. So, right to the point: where would you recommend publishing fan-fiction? I recently finished penning my third effort at an Evangelion fanfic (and the first that I am actually willing to publish), and am looking for a suitable venue for its publication.

Bear in mind that this item is...experimental. It has only 409 words, and as such no "plot" to speak of. Some of Kafka or Borges' shorter works might be a vague analog. I am not certain that it will be well-received; nonetheless, it is an attempt at thematic complexity that I hope is worthy of the name "Evangelion".

Any ideas on where this would be read and appreciated? Thanks very much.
We lie to ourselves every day, we know it, and we can’t do anything about it. We get along with other people by humoring their delusions. When we don’t, they hate us, and we are alone.

...Wendy Smith

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Recommendations on where to post NGE fan-fictions

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Fanfiction.net is usually the main go-to for posting general fics. It's also probably the most popular and frequented site for fanfiction.

If you're gonna post fics with more mature content or more unconventional structures, those usually have better homes over at Archive of Our Own.

I suggest you explore both those options and see which one seems better suited to your needs.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:12 am

For some reason AO3 (Archive of Our Own) has a high concentration of Kawo-Shin fics.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:47 am

^ Where doesn't these days? :tongue:

I've personally used FFN from day one (see signature), but going to AO3 a few times and looking it over, I might start putting them on there too (I've been recommended to, as well). Hey, I'll cram my stories wherever somebody will host them.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:01 am

I use both FanFiction.net and AO3 for my fics. AO3 houses all my lemon fics as they technically aren't allowed on Fanfiction.net, I don't think the rules are enforced too much but I'd rather not risk it. Fanfiction.net is where I get more views/reviews on my main fics though, I tend to write AsuShin content which isn't mega popular in AO3

The Divine Emperor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Divine Emperor » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:57 pm

Thank you all for the recommendations. :D Archive of our Own seems a sensible option, all things considered; and I certainly would not have become aware of it without your help.
We lie to ourselves every day, we know it, and we can’t do anything about it. We get along with other people by humoring their delusions. When we don’t, they hate us, and we are alone.

...Wendy Smith

MisterHalt
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MisterHalt » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:14 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:For some reason AO3 (Archive of Our Own) has a high concentration of Kawo-Shin fics.

Not just high. That pairing has like double the amount of all the other major pairings COMBINED.

So yeah, if you like/write Kaworu/Shinji, that's the place to go.
Strength is being able to crush a tomato. Dexterity is being able to dodge a tomato. Constitution is being able to eat a bad tomato. Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad. Charisma is being able to sell a tomato based fruit salad.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:40 pm

View Original PostThe Divine Emperor wrote:Thank you all for the recommendations. :D Archive of our Own seems a sensible option, all things considered; and I certainly would not have become aware of it without your help.

No worries! Best of luck with it and be sure to pass us a link when it's up! Always nice to have more people writing and sharing fics around here :)

The Divine Emperor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Divine Emperor » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:10 pm

jcmoorehead wrote:
No worries! Best of luck with it and be sure to pass us a link when it's up! Always nice to have more people writing and sharing fics around here :)

Thank you. It will be a few weeks, but I will be certain to post a link to it here once it's up. I am interested to see what the reception will be.

...Wendy Smith

The Divine Emperor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Divine Emperor » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:07 pm

...And here the oddment is.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/9563732

...Wendy Smith

Return to “Fanfiction”