Theoretically, would a Western re-release of Eva be better before or after 4.0?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Maya Ibuki
Embryo

Theoretically, would a Western re-release of Eva be better before or after 4.0?

•      
  •      

Postby Maya Ibuki » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:32 am

Everyone seems to be holding out on a western publisher to license everything Eva related AFTER 4.0, but I'm going against the crowd in mentioning that I think NOW will be the best time for a re-release. 4.0 won't be released anytime within 2017, so there's time for a distributor to negotiate a license. The reasoning behind my argument is that a release would fill in the void waiting for 4.0. I also feel like 4.0 would also be a nice conclusion to this wave of Evangelion, and a re-release would spoil that... having a re-release beforehand would generate interest and there'd be no more waiting games for fans - new or old.

What would you prefer?

PS: I know the title of the film is 3.0+1.0, but 4.0 is simpler and it's 1 AM here.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Theoretically, would a Western re-release of Eva be better before or after 4.0?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:59 am

There's also the question of whether a new dub using corrected translations and the same cast throughout for series, DC episodes and films would be worthwhile (maybe the Rebuild cast, but not necessarily). Before decrying the expense, note that last year when Funi asked for crowd funding to fund a redub of EscaFlowne (which is nearly as long - 26 eps plus film) because of extra scenes in remastered episodes, it was way oversubscribed, and the work was done and released in nine months. The old dub could be included for nostalgia (as was done for EscaFlowne as well, by including the unremastered episodes as necessary).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Maya Ibuki
Embryo

Re: Theoretically, would a Western re-release of Eva be better before or after 4.0?

•      
  •      

Postby Maya Ibuki » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:32 am

I'm fine with the original English dub. I think some people are really harsh regarding their opinions of it. Remember this was dubbed in the 90's (for the most part).
Funimation is really sleeping on the job though. They re-license BGC 2040 (which legit had 3 releases with different packaging since the acquisition) , but not Evangelion? lol?
But TBH I'm not sure how good of a move it would be. Personally, I wouldn't spend millions on trying to re-license it... since Gainax (?) et al. are asking for millions (or so I've heard). Don't know if Eva is big enough in the West for that. Would a streaming deal be cheaper than a physical release?

I'd be happy to give my coin to a western bluray release or HD streaming crowdfund campaign or something though.
Last edited by Maya Ibuki on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:20 pm

View Original PostMaya Ibuki wrote:I'm fine with the original English dub.

The changes in the cast in the DC episodes and the films are perhaps the biggest issue (and also some serious mistranslations in EoE in particular).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:21 pm

View Original PostMaya Ibuki wrote:I'm fine with the original English dub. I think some are really harsh.

Some of it is very improvable as well. Tiffany Grant dropping the cod German in the early episodes and no re-dubbing Aoba (or Gendo, less controversially). Kaworu's VA I think is particularly variable. A lot of the rest is personal preference.

[ninja'd by Hodges]
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:34 pm

This may seem odd since I defend the dubs religiously but I'd like to see Grant replaced. Actually, I'd like to see the entire thing redone with a totally new voice cast. The original dub will still exist.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Maya Ibuki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Maya Ibuki » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:55 pm

Allison Keith was GREAT as Misato though and you will accept.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Since I threw the thread immediately off track, I should repent by also answering the original question:

I think that there is no need to delay licensing the series (as a unit with the related films of course) until the last film of Rebuild appears, Not waiting both emphasises that the series and Rebuild are separate entities and simultaneously keeps interest raised while we are waiting for the completion of Rebuild.

Of course, if the reason that nothing has happened so far is simply that the fees being demanded are just too great (remember the debacle of EoE?) then the question is moot.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:34 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I think that there is no need to delay licensing the series (as a unit with the related films of course) until the last film of Rebuild appears, Not waiting both emphasises that the series and Rebuild are separate entities and simultaneously keeps interest raised while we are waiting for the completion of Rebuild.

I doubt it really could sustain commercial appeal on its own - 'raising interest in Evangelion' in the future is if anything a taller order. A lot of people even get turned off by 'nineties art' these days (:|

And Anime which seemed
To lie before us like a land of dreams
So various, so beautiful, so new
[this poem is about people not going to church anymore]
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Though actually I'd say the art has dated less than many of its contemporaries - like the afore-mentioned EscaFlowne, for instance!

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:42 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Though actually I'd say the art has dated less than many of its contemporaries - like the afore-mentioned EscaFlowne, for instance!

I think it'll take a long while before the animation for Eva is considered dated by popular opinion (Besides being set Twenty Minutes into the Future),
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:20 pm

Another factor to consider about licensing is that the Japanese have a somewhat irrational fear of reverse importation. Even if we got the exact same material in a Western release as the Japanese blu-ray set, it'll probably cost no more than US$150. They probably want to wait a good while before it's licensed here.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:34 pm

To take the same example again, it didn't happen like that with EscaFlowne, though.

Maya Ibuki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Maya Ibuki » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:49 pm

What about Platinum though? Was that imported in too? I'm sure if you scrap the films (again) and slap on another Grant collection video and Spencer rant it'll keep the Jap fans from importing it :tongue:

It's such a shame we never got better cuts of the feature films. That's the real tragedy. Is this the fiasco y'all referring to? They wanted extra $$ but ADV wouldn't budge?

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:26 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:To take the same example again, it didn't happen like that with EscaFlowne, though.

The problem with your argument is that Escaflowne was more popular in the West among anime fans than in Japan. Eva, on the other hand, is one of the preeminent anime franchises in Japan, almost on the same level as Star Wars in the West. In their eyes, Khara would have more to lose in revenue than Sunrise in comparison.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Maya Ibuki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Maya Ibuki » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:42 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote: same level as Star Wars in the West. .

Pretty sure that's Pokemon. Dare I say Eva is really a cult following here. I'm sure if Evangelion was as big as Pokémon in the West, Ganiax et al. would have negotiated a deal.

Charizard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:42 am

View Original PostMaya Ibuki wrote:Pretty sure that's Pokemon. Dare I say Eva is really a cult following here. I'm sure if Evangelion was as big as Pokémon in the West, Ganiax et al. would have negotiated a deal.

I think they meant that Eva in Japan is as big as Star Wars is in the West. Most Western Eva fans know it's basically a cult hit; I'd say it's around the level of Batman: TAS in the West, especially since both shows had huge, inspired geek fandoms in the 90s and are now mostly remembered through nostalgia - albeit not childhood nostalgia like with Pokémon or MMPR, which is why both shows aren't that well-known outside of the nerd community.
My main hobby is dressing up as a 14-year-old girl
Instagram|Cosplay Facebook

Maya Ibuki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Maya Ibuki » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:08 am

View Original PostCharizard wrote:I think they meant that Eva in Japan is as big as Star Wars is in the West. Most Western Eva fans know it's basically a cult hit; I'd say it's around the level of Batman: TAS in the West, especially since both shows had huge, inspired geek fandoms in the 90s and are now mostly remembered through nostalgia - albeit not childhood nostalgia like with Pokémon or MMPR, which is why both shows aren't that well-known outside of the nerd community.

Yeah, and I don't think that's enough to warrant the cost to re-license tbh. I mean majority of us older Eva fans would own a physical release, it's just the newer ones who won't. I don't need a blu-ray tbh. I'm going to say that Rebuild, although good, doesn't have that same effect the original series did / would have.

BTW, nice Asuka drag! :shifty:

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Before. Not only is it time for an update, but it market-wise, it would be a great strategy to build up hype for it further.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:48 pm

There is a very small chance of Khara licensing out NGE to the States before Shin Eva. It will take years before Khara is comfortable letting a $300+ Bluray set and a $180+ DVD set sell in the States for about $80 for the DVD/Bluray combo set. They want to milk those Japanese sales as much as possible, and I honestly think that's within their best interest to do so.

If Khara announces individual Blu-ray Disc sales of NGE, like they did their Renewal DVDs, I can certainly see them making steps towards international licensing. But I can't see them doing that this soon in the game.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”