The End of Evangelion: Fansub Amalgamation

Fanfiction, fan art, AMVs, and any other fan creations or Eva-related projects: share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

HARVEST
Embryo

Re: The End of Evangelion: Fansub Amalgamation

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:31 pm

First of all, thanks for your input.
And yes, I do think the (Silence) effect works better subtitled than with an overlay.
But that's just me preferring the Japanese Design, though I just use the English Design to be more consistent with the Perfect Collection VHS subs.
I haven't compared my English effect and the Japanese effect side-by-side yet since I don't have the Renewal Feature Film DVD.

Take a look at the MEGA link I Pm'd you.
Secondly, I haven't watched EoE for some time so I forgot the "Do you feel good?" text was over live-action footage rather than on a black background, which makes sense on why it should be subtitles.

However, I now PM'd you my subtitles and the Air overlay is a recreation of the Japanese version (black text on a white square on a black background) and I even used a similar font to thr original Air text (I specifically just took Times New Roman Bold and made it thinner, I also used Times New Roman Bold for the NGE logo).
I'm not sure what you think but my Air overlay is an okay recreation of the Japanese overlay.
It's not just a replacement of the Air title card with a more generic episode title like My Purest Heart for You.

Third, they use a "generic" font for the Japanese NGE logo as much as using the iconic one in the OP.
So, I think my Times New Roman Bold NGE logo works since said "generic" Japanese logo often accompanies the English logo.
And I don't know which font they used but I just used Times New Roman Bold for both the NGE logo and Air's title since it looks similar.

Fourth, Asuka's line has a double meaning referring to both what Shinji did in the beginning (feeling disgusted) and literally feeling sick (maybe due to morning sickness).
So, "How sickening..." is a better translation.
And, even if you did use "Disgusting..." instead, I think that line felt more complete with a How in the beginning of the line.

Finally. Yes, the Blu-ray box is worth buying for the movies alone.
It has three discs for the movies: the theatrical edition of Evangelion:Death and Rebirth, the theatrical edition of The End of Evangelion, and Revival of Evangelion (Death(true^2)/Air/My Purest Heart for You).
However, EoE had no changes in Revival except for the 5.1 remix.
If you are a purist for the original versions, the Blu-rays of the movies are great, and if you are a 100% purist, watch it with the 2.0 mix (with Dolby Pro Logic on) instead of the 5.1 mix)

P.S: Putting up my edit of your EoE subs on this thread would be pointless, since my second revision undos the the "Do you love me?" overlay (which also had a black background in my subs).
It only has four changes this time: the Times New Roman Bold NGE logo, the Air overlay, the English (Silence) overlay, and "How sickening...".

I can probably post screencaps this Sunday.

Again, I don't have the actual Renewal Film DVD (regular or DTS versions) so I can only use dummy video screenshots from Aegisub.

If I save more money, maybe I can buy the pre-Renewal Director's Cut DVDs, and the DTS Collector's Edition of the Feature Film DVD (since, even if the superior DTS track is a remix, at least it has fancier packaging and an option for the original 2.0 mix in Dolby).
Last edited by HARVEST on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HARVEST
Embryo

Re: The End of Evangelion: Fansub Amalgamation

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Comparisons of my personal edit:
Neon Genesis Evangelion Theatrical Version
Mjonlir Mark IV
Mine

Air
Mjonlir Mark IV
Mine

(Silence)
Mjonlir Mark IV
Mine

And yes, (Silence) does have the effects like in the Japanese version.
I don't actually have the Renewal DVD of EoE so I can't compare it with the actual video.

Return to “Fandom Area”