Does Shinji ever get the truth about Rei?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

Does Shinji ever get the truth about Rei?

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:18 pm

I was just going over episode 24 recently and there's this one scene where Shinji just begins to suss it...but does he ever actually, like, get it? I control-r'd some keywords in the scripts for EoE as well and I didn't find it.

I also looked over the manga again...does he ever learn it?
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: Does Shinji ever get the truth about Rei?

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:42 pm

He knows she's a clone obviously, but no, I don't think he (or anyone other than Gendo and Fuyu) knows precisely who she's a clone of.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:46 pm

Shinji is told the most about Rei's backstory towards the end of Episode 23 when Ritsuko exposition-bombs him and Misato. That, coupled with his experiences with Rei in the previous episodes, is all he really learns about Rei, and it scares him. Everything he sees Rei do in EoE comes almost entirely out of nowhere for him, and he doesn't process the new information very well.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:29 pm

Nobody ever tells him, but I think he probably figured it out once he finally met Yui face to face during Instrumentality and saw what she looked like.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:43 pm

To paraphrase the immortal words of Mr. Plinkett:
Shinji might not have noticed... but his brain did.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:24 pm

Considering how scarred Shinji got after Ritsuko's explanation (That was also her trying to rid of her demons), he either came to that conclusion or put it out of mind until he was ready (And he's definitely not going to think about it after Instrumentality).
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:24 am

Tantalizingly, Ritsy does use the world 'salvage' but still doesn't mention Yui in episode 23.

It just goes to show how much the series it's a conspiracy against its own characters. The whole Freudian horror part of the show is such a big part of the mood to the viewers but even Asuka doesn't really know about the Mom's soul stuff until the very end.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:28 pm

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:It just goes to show how much the series it's a conspiracy against its own characters. The whole Freudian horror part of the show is such a big part of the mood to the viewers

What do you expect when the organization that the Eva pilots and Major work for a government-implemented institution that's in turn run by a apocalyptic organization?
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

mammaluser
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mammaluser » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:44 pm

I don't remember clearly if ritsuko does or doesn't cleared out that Rei's a clone of yui, but it was eventually revealed to him (Shinji) that there are multiple reis, but if im not wrong in 3.33 fuyutsuki clears all the stuff about Rei being a clone of yui and the existence of multiple reis as well.
"I wish that i could turn back time..."

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:09 am

Yeah, in 3.33 Fuyutski very explicitly explains who/what Rei is. He says that Rei is a clone of his mother, Yui Ayanami, and even explains her Contact Experiment with Unit 01. That kinda messed him up a bit.

In the show, he only really knows that she's a clone, but he doesn't know who she's based off of considering he doesn't remember what his mother looks like (and Gendo got rid of the pictures). I think he made the connection when he saw her face in Instrumentality or something.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:52 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Shinji is told the most about Rei's backstory towards the end of Episode 23 when Ritsuko exposition-bombs him and Misato. That, coupled with his experiences with Rei in the previous episodes, is all he really learns about Rei, and it scares him. Everything he sees Rei do in EoE comes almost entirely out of nowhere for him, and he doesn't process the new information very well.

Pretty much.

I do think he might've been able to piece things together towards the end if he was interested in doing so, but he was very much not.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:59 pm

I think his knowledge is implied when he asks what will happen to Yui right as he beholds Lilith's bisected head. These sorts of juxtapositions are done with intent.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

lilim
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby lilim » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:12 pm

i've seen people say things like "if Maya learned, through instrumentality, what Ritsuko was really up to the whole time would she stop feeling admiration for her and choose to come back alone?" or "Asuka's "kimochi warui" is in reference to the fact that she, through instrumentality, saw what Shinji did to her in the hospital and is repulsed by it" so if those things are true and the characters have a clear understanding of each other's past experiences and memories, then wouldn't Shinji then learn what Rei is even if he didn't want to piece that together himself? he would know what Gendo, Fuyutsuki and Ritsuko knew whether he wanted to or not.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”