Toshio Okada Supports Donald Trump?

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Toshio Okada Supports Donald Trump?

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:22 pm

I just learned of Toshio Okada's YouTube channel and was surprised to find this video in which he wears a Make America Great Again hat and talks for over an hour (in Japanese). This video was made after Trump was elected, so I'm not clear on whether the video is an expression of Okada's support of Trump or whether it's just a reaction to the results, but he seems pretty enthusiastic... and the video description gives the following time stamps in English:

00:00 Story talked about by Miyazaki Tetsuya
01: 43 Trump 70 years old Hayao 75 years old Toshio 58 years old
02:59 Why did Shoji expect the victory of cards?
07: 17 Yoshinori Kobayashi About the quotation of cartoons as a result of trial
09: 15 About President's birthday
11: 15 How is American democracy?
14: 00 Function and Performance Difference
19: 13 The presidential election was a character election
24:20 Hillary had no character
27: 55 The thing that Toshio Okada had been saying 31 years ago
31: 05 The cards are trying to privatize politics
35: 50 To the last name President for Americans
39: 00 Politics as a business
41:10 What happens when you make an iPhone in the USA
48: 00 Superman is an illegal refugee
51: 40 America is close to Muslim country
56: 07 The people making the tobacco were crocbic

I'm curious about this to say the least. Can anyone provide information? As I understand it Okada speaks English so he himself may answer if contacted at his Facebook or Twitter account...

...Uh, GAINAX's former American merchandising vice-president and "Bani Garu" memoir writer Lea Hernandez has been extremely adamant about denouncing Trump on her own Twitter, so this might be a real heartbreak for her...
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Toshio Okada Supports Donald Trump?

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:50 pm

I'd love to know what Miyazaki thinks of Dump. Probably wants to do something to him involving that samurai sword he sent to Disney.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:35 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I'd love to know what Miyazaki thinks of Dump. Probably wants to do something to him involving that samurai sword he sent to Disney.

That's going to be impossible. In almost all of Miyazaki's work, every character has some basis of good in them. Besides who needs Miyazaki when we're possibly on the road to getting an entire manga series about poor little Barron?
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:25 pm

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:That's going to be impossible. In almost all of Miyazaki's work, every character has some basis of good in them.

So, there's more to Dump than meets the eye?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:10 pm

Meh. Good for him. :rei_meh:
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

kuzronk
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kuzronk » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:51 pm

What do you expect from a old man in a more or less xenophobic country where you are meant to work as much as you can?

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:23 pm

Toshio wrote:
19: 13 The presidential election was a character election
24:20 Hillary had no character
48: 00 Superman is an illegal refugee
51: 40 America is close to Muslim country

These are all so, so, tantalizing but if it turns out all he got from Japanese media is a couple of scandals about Hillary and one hat about Trump then I think we're going to be disappointed.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:32 pm

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:These are all so, so, tantalizing but if it turns out all he got from Japanese media is a couple of scandals about Hillary and one hat about Trump then I think we're going to be disappointed.

That's most likely what people in Japan know about them, unless they (Hopefully) haven't gotten to seeing their waifus have photoshopped MAGA hats on them.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:12 am

I imagine that foreigners would be more open to Trump than most Americans. They're not subject to the same media spin we are, and even though a lot of what Trump says is already bad pre-spin, it's hard to know how things like "tone" and "decorum" translate to a non-English speaker.

Of course, I'm heavily biased, because as I've said in the political threads, I like most of Trump's policy proposals and only take issue with the man he becomes when he actually opens his mouth.

View Original Postkuzronk wrote:What do you expect from a old man in a more or less xenophobic country where you are meant to work as much as you can?

Screw you. You preemptively stole my joke, and also told it better than I would've.

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”