SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

Hayao Miyazaki updates enemies list

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:32 pm

You loved "Anime was a mistake".

But when shown an animation generated by artificial intelligence, famed animator Hayao Miyazaki was not impressed. “I strongly feel that this is an insult to life itself,”
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Re: Hayao Miyazaki updates enemies list

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:14 am

Damn Miyazaki owned those guys pretty hardcore, that one guy looked like he was about to poop his pants after he said that.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:32 am

No offense but Miyazaki is pretty narrow-minded. Everything has to be his own way, or it sucks. If someone has a different way to proceed, he doesn't know anything about life, pain, art, etcetera. It's the typical snob pretentious dipshit argument. I mean, the guy has enough merits to be full of himself, but it doesn't mean he should...
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:50 am

Part of the reason why I like Miyazaki is because he's grumpy like that, though. He is the favorite Old Man of movies these days. He'll go off on how kids with iPad in the park look like they're masturbating, and the rest of us are like "Okay grandpa, but can you tell us another story please?"

I love it.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:01 pm

"I've got you on the list. I've got you on the list, and none of you be missed. None. of you. Be Missed."

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:40 pm

Miyazaki is a part of the old guard who shits on everything knew, with generally good reason, Tomino does the same thing, albeit with more murderous invective.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:20 pm

View Original PostTheCarkolum wrote:No offense but Miyazaki is pretty narrow-minded. Everything has to be his own way, or it sucks. If someone has a different way to proceed, he doesn't know anything about life, pain, art, etcetera. It's the typical snob pretentious dipshit argument. I mean, the guy has enough merits to be full of himself, but it doesn't mean he should...

Yea, I feel you man. But at the same time, when I get older I can imagine myself saying the same thing about new things. I'm a bit of a hater myself, haha. Sort of reminds me of Thom Yorke going off on Spoitify a few years ago and then admitting that he was a Luddite.

Miyazaki has some pretty cool movies, and I don't know if I should say he's overrated(most people I'd say who gush about him loudly in public know shit about anime so their opinions are worthless), but I don't really think there's any reason to care too much about what he has to say. I'd take something directed by Anno, or Satoshi Kon(who seemed like a very cool dude), or Masaaki Yuasa over something by Miyazaki any day of the week.

Ray wrote:"I've got you on the list. I've got you on the list, and none of you be missed. None. of you. Be Missed."

How does this contribute to the conversation, the anime subforum or EGF in any way?
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:38 pm

It's a song. Haven't you ever heard of the musical "The Mikado" ? I'm basically making fun of how Miyazaki, much like Cao-Cao is complaining about the situation without actually doing anything to make it any better. Talking a big game about how everything is terrible without taking any action against it.

So anime is going downhill? so what? so is everything else in today's interconnected homogenized world. We've grown drunk on the fermented fruit of the vine of free information. Of course when you have access to free information people are always going to use that to try and gam the ssystem and ride the popularity wave. ( let's not forget the amount of freaking derivative isekai anime).

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:42 pm

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:How does this contribute to the conversation, the anime subforum or EGF in any way?

It's called "satire".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Hayao Miyazaki updates enemies list Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:17 am

Mr. Miyazaki is someone I identify as a classicist (don't know if that's the correct term); his entire method revolves around studying human actions closely, then meticulously trying to capture them in his animation.

He then adds flourishes on these movements and actions to give the character their personality; how they put on their shoes, the way they comb their hair, the way they run; they're all meant to speak to the viewer as to who that character is. A very good practice of "show, don't tell".

It also speaks to his humanist instincts; his desire for people to be close studies of one another, and to value how each of us goes through and interacts with the world.

Here, we are seeing the complete inverse of his method; an intentional attempt to capture inhuman movement (of something that doesn't even exist), as created by an inhuman creator that has no capacity to appreciate what it is it is even trying to capture.

He already doesn't like the stylistic "shortcuts" anime takes in abridging human movement: action lines, prat falls, exaggerated still images, etc. He seems to regard these things as lazy, lost opportunities. This prototype moves things one step further, taking what was a shortcut, into an intentional forgoing of natural movement. What does it help you appreciate? What in the real world does it try to capture? If you can't answer that question, then how is this not just a frivolous indulgence?

That the subject of the video is a human body, I think is what is most setting him off. He probably would have been less wary if they had showed him movement, of, say, robot characters, but likely still disinterested.

That last line of his I think is telling:

We humans are losing faith in ourselves.

Not just that we use AI to draw, but that we would not use drawing to better understand each other or ourselves.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:37 pm

I agree with him 100%, and I say that as someone who's never seen one of his films.

You can make the argument that our creativity and imagination, when it comes to art, is what makes Humanity truly special on this planet.

If we make a computer to imagine things for us, what are we saying about ourselves? There are people who have lost faith in Humanity, and place all their trust in machines. It digsusts me.

The machine shown here is also pretty crap. I bet you an actual person already thought "gee, I wonder what it would look like if someone used their head like a leg?"

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get ready to bang my head against the wall when the first novel written entirely by Windows 10 is released :irked:
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:23 am

View Original PostCybermat47 wrote:I agree with him 100%, and I say that as someone who's never seen one of his films.

You can make the argument that our creativity and imagination, when it comes to art, is what makes Humanity truly special on this planet.

If we make a computer to imagine things for us, what are we saying about ourselves? There are people who have lost faith in Humanity, and place all their trust in machines. It digsusts me.

But couldn't the machine itself be considered the work of art? And since the machine is created by a group of engineers and programmers, wouldn't that technically make them the artists behind the animating computer?

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:42 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:But couldn't the machine itself be considered the work of art? And since the machine is created by a group of engineers and programmers, wouldn't that technically make them the artists behind the animating computer?

Yes - which makes it even more sad. It's artists using their amazing talents to surrender their creativity to their mechanical creation.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:55 am

No creativity was surrendered if the computer was their creative project to begin with. No fowl here.

Honestly, I cannot wait for the day when computers take over writing and creating the micro-managed summer blockbuster mass-produced movie products that clutter our screens. Blockbusters as a unique art form died when it became a "tent pole" in the studios' quarterly earnings, with little to no meaningful creative input from the directors. (Disney wouldn't be wasting its time and the time of the directors they fire if there was an AI program capable of spitting out the base-line trite the studio is demanding.) Simply giving it to a machine instead of wasting actual creative filmmakers' time would be a luxury for the artists truly wanting to make something great.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:52 pm

In the context of the documentary Miyazaki has a point.

I also believe that presenting that demo at Studio Ghibli wasn't the smartest choice possible, it was like presenting a SFX demo about blood splatters for the sequel of Alvin and the Chipmunks.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:33 am

The types of movies that draw directors like Miyazaki to the craft will probably be safe from AI's grasp. It's not because I think Miyazaki's artistry is too complex for computers to replicate (given enough time, anything's possible), rather its because the studios who could afford such technology would want to make the most broadly appealing, base line films possible in order to recoup the expensive investment. This means all CG Transformers and Fast and Furious movies in the future. Smarter Indy films or rich character studies generally don't make enough to justify using expensive AI equipment to manufacture. I am okay with this.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:13 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:No creativity was surrendered if the computer was their creative project to begin with. No fowl here.

Honestly, I cannot wait for the day when computers take over writing and creating the micro-managed summer blockbuster mass-produced movie products that clutter our screens. Blockbusters as a unique art form died when it became a "tent pole" in the studios' quarterly earnings, with little to no meaningful creative input from the directors. (Disney wouldn't be wasting its time and the time of the directors they fire if there was an AI program capable of spitting out the base-line trite the studio is demanding.) Simply giving it to a machine instead of wasting actual creative filmmakers' time would be a luxury for the artists truly wanting to make something great.

I look forward to when consumer grade tools can simulate the appearance and voice of actors so we can all make our own movies and imagination is set free.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:53 am

Just remember that once AIs are as capable creatively as humans, then they will be equally able to appreciate their productions themselves. At that point we mere humans can be left out of the loop entirely, to languish in utter boredom.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:46 am

I don't think AIs have to be as creative as humans in order to create mainstream blockbuster films. (This says more about the lack creativity behind blockbusters than it does anything else.)

Return to “Anime and Manga”