Amanda Winn-Lee and Her Apathy toward Eva

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

Amanda Winn-Lee and Her Apathy toward Eva

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:58 pm

So, I finished reading Lee's book The Noodle Chronicles, and while I liked it a lot, one part stood out to me. Giving her former career, she obviously talked about her experiences in anime. Before she was done talking about it, she mentioned that "At the end of the day, it's still a fucking cartoon". I shrugged it off...

until...I remembered an interview where she decided to play "The autistic one."

It may be just me, but it does signal that she viewed her role as ADR director for Eva and her role as Rei with little compassion. And do we need to talk about her and her husband's commentary for End of Eva?

Now, I don't hold this against her. I do think she did a solid job as Rei (Too whispery at times, but still nailed her personality), but this does make me see her in a new light.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Amanda Winn-Lee and Her Apathy toward Eva

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:58 am

Many people within the entertainment industry do not see the property that they work on in the same light as the fans of that property. To them, it's just a job and not something that they have any passion for on a personal level.

I also do wonder how much her feelings for Evangelion have soured since an incident on the forums here a few years ago where she actually joined and shortly thereafter one of our members acted like a complete cocksplat and drove her off the forums in a wholly uncalled for and unreasonably rude way.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:10 am

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:"At the end of the day, it's still a fucking cartoon"

I only partially agree with this. Art and creativity are important parts of our lives. There are definitely more important things in life than "X show", but the word choice seems very reductive.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:45 am

On one hand, yeah, it's just a job for actors/actresses and that makes sense, but Amanda clearly has no respect for what she works on. Everything she does reflects that immaturity.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:56 am

Isn't there a thread here that shows an image from a panel she did where she explained Evangelions ending as the result of Shrooms being legal in Japan and Anno not being breastfed as a child? It's one thing to not really care about that which you worked on and treat it just as a job.

Just because she worked on it doesn't necessarily mean she should have the same emotional attachment to it that fans do, that's fair enough but from those little snippets she does seem to be a bit disrespectful towards it/its creators.

Still what I have seen is out of context so I don't know the tone/manner in which it was said. I've heard that she is actually a nice person so who knows.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:32 pm

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:Still what I have seen is out of context so I don't know the tone/manner in which it was said. I've heard that she is actually a nice person so who knows.

Oh, I'm not implying at all that she's a bad person. Reading her book, following her on Twitter, and the interviews proves it to me. It's just an interesting theory that I wanted to bring up.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:46 pm

She was at the 20th Anniversary of Eva celebration at Anime Expo last year along with Tiffany Grant and Matt Greenfield. Even if her relationship with the franchise is just a job to her, she made the effort to appear enthusiastic in front of fans, which is a plus in my book. She doesn't need to be a huge fan of the show herself to do what she does.

EDIT: moved this thread to the related works and people forum.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:05 pm

I don't see any reason why she needs to be a fan of the Eva universe. Eva was just a job to her. It's okay to hate your job. Worse, it was a job where she was dealing with works that are highly creative but her main/only duty was to not do anything creative & simply replicate in English what artists did in another country on the other side of the globe. I can't imagine it helps endear her to Eva that she's almost universally hated by "true fans" for the simple additions of a sound effect here & there in the english dub of End of Evangelion. It's a job she was racked over the coals for in nerd circles because she broke the number one tenant of translation which is basically - keep it 100% as it was.

Her apathy towards Eva is perfectly justified for whatever reasons she feels are right for her. No reason to add more fuel to the fire that most likely could have caused such apathy.

And especially her apathy towards Rebuild in total (in some other thread I believe someone said she was asked her thoughts on Rebuild & said she hadn't seen it & the thing was just a "cash grab") makes sense since she was the only one of the actors who played the "Core Four" (Shinji, Misato, Rei, Asuka) who was not brought back.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:27 pm

^ I didn't mean to come off as critical towards her.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:24 pm

No no no.
Not you specifically.
I'm not trying to be antagonistic.
It's just Amanda Winn-Lee is just infamous in online anime nerd circles for adding a few sound effects to the EOE English dub & since the animosity of the internet allows people to say whatever they want a lot of angry nerds basically have equated her to being the Anti-Christ for entirely silly reasons.

If I was living my life & knew a few people online were talking crap about me for some work I did over 15 years ago I too would want to keep my distance.

Note: I do express animosity towards Matt Greenfield though because he has flat out lied about the "Great Live Action Evangelion Film that I am making happen!" for over a decade now. Once WETA backed out to do Peter Jackson's King Kong that project pretty much died. Now the scary thing is if the live action Ghost in the Shell is a hit we could see a live action Evangelion happen (which would have to go through so many different changes to be suitable for a live action film that they may as well call it Pacific Rim: Evangelion) but I'm 100% certain that despite what he'd say at a convention somewhere at no point would the development of said film go through him. If Gainax is out of the Evangelion loop there's no way ADV or Matt Greenfield has a say anymore.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:15 am

Didn't just add a cartoony splat and "Hit em again" to EoE, she replaced a slap with a gunshot in Death because she misunderstood what Masayuki was doing that badly. And laughed it off like the original director had fucked up the sound design in her commentary.

Ugh.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:24 pm

Guy Nacks wrote:I also do wonder how much her feelings for Evangelion have soured since an incident on the forums here a few years ago where she actually joined and shortly thereafter one of our members acted like a complete cocksplat and drove her off the forums in a wholly uncalled for and unreasonably rude way.

Does anyone have a link to this incident of which I have heard so much about? Because I would be very interested in seeing it.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:45 am

Some links here
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:33 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I also do wonder how much her feelings for Evangelion have soured since an incident on the forums here a few years ago where she actually joined and shortly thereafter one of our members acted like a complete cocksplat and drove her off the forums in a wholly uncalled for and unreasonably rude way.

Well, she did mention in her book that she was getting a lot of creepy laters from fans of different anime she dubbed - Eva included - asking her to cosplay as the character naked. So your stereotypical creepy anime nerds being themselves.

Still, considering the fact she was at AnimeExpo for Eva's 20th anniversary, she doesn't seem to hold contempt with Eva itself or it's fans.

Though, if she was a member on this forum, who knows what would happen if she came back and saw this forum...

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:50 pm

pwhodges wrote:Some links here

Thanks!
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:53 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Some links here

I can't get to them; it says the connection's not private for some reason.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:27 pm

Just switch the https in the URL to http.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Dildry
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dildry » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:59 pm

Considering what I heard her say about Anno and her toxic political posts (Even if she was opposite of Liberal she would still be toxic) on Twitter

She seems a very unpleasent person to me but atleast takes her job seriously
You dare mock the son of a sheperd - Sheperds Son

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:25 pm

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:I can't get to them; it says the connection's not private for some reason.

Because the forum's certificate is self-signed, you have to tell your browser to accept it (once done it will remember). Or (as Reichu says) you can switch to http; for this forum I can't argue that the security matters much (it does on the forum I'm admin of, and we force https there but have a proper commercial certificate).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:40 pm

^ Got to it by getting rid of html...and looking at two related forums to it...I think I may have unknowingly opened up Pandora's Box...

...well, we don't know what's to happen yet, but from looking at the thread and seeing her interviews and looking at her responses...she is justified in her reasoning for the most part. Like she said, life was tough for her with Noodle getting cancer and nearly going deaf, and if I were in her shoes, I would probably do the same thing. I know the phrase "One bad apple won't spoil the whole bunch" might be alluded to in response, but considering her reasoning; though it may be a little farfetched in some eyes, it still is justified on why she wouldn't want to return.

Plus, I would admire someone to actually get on a fansite and talk to fans. She did after all mention in her book that she got so many perverted letters when she was still in the anime business. Despite that, she actually had a fairly successful communication with the people here.

The more this thread will expand, the more likely it is that I'll start regretting launching it in the first place.

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”