Possible Foreshadowing in Episode 18

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

Possible Foreshadowing in Episode 18

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:28 pm

So, I'm looking for a certain image of Asuka for one of planned AMVs, and I come across Episode 18, and I take notice that the dialogue on the TV is eerily similar of what Shinji and Asuka's situation would like in Episode 15 (Dialogue put in spoilers to keep space).

SPOILER: Show
WOMAN (TELEVISION): Ultimately, getting back together with you that time was where all the mistakes began.
MAN (TELEVISION): How can you say that now?
WOMAN (TELEVISION):I can still change my life. There are lots of pitfalls in life, but even if you fall in, you can just crawl your way out of it again.
MAN (TELEVISION): And I'm the pitfall?
WOMAN (TELEVISION):I don't have to live in sorrow, but after despair, hope is always waiting for you.
MAN (TELEVISION): And I'm the pronoun for your despair?
WOMAN (TELEVISION): Yes, the only reason I came back was so we could break up again.
MAN (TELEVISION): This is too mean.
WOMAN (TELEVISION):“Now that I consider it, a man who sucks at kissing never works out!”
MAN (TELEVISION): My kissing sucks?
WOMAN (TELEVISION): Not just your kissing!
MAN (TELEVISION): Not just my kissing?!
WOMAN (TELEVISION): I knew it! Why did I repeat the same mistake? Yes, this mistake must be corrected! I must start a new life free of regret!

I don't know about you, but this could be a foreshadow into Asuka's true feelings in the form of an exaggerated soap opera. Also notice the dialogue in the background. As the woman is talking about a mistake that must be corrected...

SPOILER: Show
Kaji (OFF):“Are you two always like this when Katsuragi's gone?
Asuka:No! I get to spend the night with you, after all, so I'd love to be all happy and smiling. But I can't do it tonight. I just can't.

Considering that Asuka made a huge life mistake in thinking that she would ever be with Kaji, this might not be a coincidence.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: Possible Foreshadowing in Episode 18

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:03 pm

I'm certain this has been discussed at length, but the search function isn't being especially helpful to me.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:16 pm

The use of TV or radio as meta-commentary gets brought up from time to time, with this being the example that stands out most in memory, because in a thread that's posed to set up LAS as OTP, it invokes this line of commentary --

WOMAN (TELEVISION):“Now that I consider it, a man who sucks at kissing never works out!”

in the very first post.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:28 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The use of TV or radio as meta-commentary gets brought up from time to time

This is the first time I'm noticing this. What are other examples of this being seen again?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:08 am

The radio talk-show playing while Ritsuko is giving Misato a lift at the end of episode 20 is, if anything, even more blatant a commentary on what has just been happening than even this example.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:17 am

Episode 2's Math Puppy. People on the talk show act like it can solve math problems, when in fact it's just answering "wan!" ("woof", sounds like "one"). Commentary on Shinji, who didn't actually do anything special (nothing more than what comes naturally), but everyone is acting like he did.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:15 pm

RADIO: “Sure, I can understand, but I guess that's what's called the oral stage. In other words, it's where you want to be with your mother forever. It refers to people who want to always be dependent on someone. There's someone like that among my acquaintences too, and you're a lot like him. So, well, as far as I can see from your letter, from your girlfriend's standpoint, being your lover, your mother, and what else, your kid sister? I think being all of these things for you is pretty rough. And you know, aren't you sort of taking advantage of her place as a lover, using it as your personal outlet for your libido? Okay, well, that might have been a little extreme. But a woman is very sensitive to whether someone loves her or not. So I think she's probably twigged onto that by now, that you're looking for a mother you can sleep with in her. And if she still hasn't brought up splitting up with you, she might be one of those nice girls that are pretty rare these days, you know?”

In many ways, this is reminiscent many of things; one of which is Misato distancing herself from others. Kaji in particular, since it's shown she has conflicting feelings about him when he first appears in Episode 08 (Especially foreshadowing the following sex scene).

And of course, we have Shinji and Gendo. For the latter, it's obviously a reference to how he doesn't truly love Rei for what she is, but for what she represents to him: that being a clone of his beloved Yui (Which, of course, implies very dirty stuff).

For Shinji, it shows his immaturity on how little he understands women and girls when three of them play a very important role in his life. He doesn't understand Asuka's motives or personality (He doesn't even hear her struggles in her past), he just wants to try something out (Which of course gives us the awkward attempt at Shinji kissing Asuka in her sleep in Episode 09). For Rei, he feels a sense of familiarity with her (Obvious since, like stated before, she's a clone of Shinji's mother), but unlike the bond between Gendo and Rei, it showed that the bond between her and Shinji was more powerful in their presence together (Mother and son). All of it shown in a boy who's midway through puberty.

All of this taken from a radio program less featured less then a minute. Damn.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”