Wiki Beta

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Wiki Beta

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:33 pm

Reposting in Chit-Chat for a slightly more public announcement.

I've set up an "beta" Evangelion Wiki.

The purpose of the beta is try and get any proper evangelion wiki out of drawing-board-ville and off the ground. At the moment, the site is very basic with little content. That's why it needs you, the Evangelion community, to help build it up into something worthy of eva fandom. Hopefully its articles will serve as the basis for any permanant wiki's created.

Only registered users can edit pages. This policy is highly unlikely to change. If you want to become a member, just pm or otherwise get in contact with me with a valid email address and preferred username, and I'll set up your account.

Membership is open to all. I'm a believer in the concept that a critical mass of editors can produce a quality wiki. I'm optimistic that most will genuinely want to contribute and vandalism and general trolling will be a minimal problem. I think anyone can contribute, even if you're not an Eva guru, your contributions can still count towards a quality site. So please, seriously consider participating. Once again, everyone is welcome. (Everyone on these boards at least, and the ANF Evangelion Forum. Those from more distant climes may face some immigration checks!)

This is a beta, so feel fairly free tocreate new pages and make any edits you feel are necessary. There's some basic formatting and templates set up, but if you know how, please feel very free to create new templates or edit existing ones. I would prefer to actually get content on the site, however unpolished, before we start worrying about presentation.

There are essentially mods on high, so there is a system for dealing with vandalism and flame wars. For inquiries and/or complaints, PM me or leave a message on my username talkpage. I'm hoping their will be more progress made than grief caused, so here's hoping.

P.S.

I'm not at my computer 24/7, so it may take a while for me to respond to your PMs. I will try and get back to everyone within 24 hours. Remember to include your requested username and a valid email address. Once again, all are welcome to edit!(provided you're not what's technically referred to as an asshat.)

P.P.S

Those who can't PM, contact me at the REevawikiaccountsMOVESPatAMobsessivemathsfreakTERdotMSorg.(Remove the capitals).
Last edited by ObsessiveMathsFreak on Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:48 pm

I wish you luck in your endeavor.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:08 am

Moving to Fandom and Promotional, since that's what this thread is.

I heard rumors on the Internets that the Wiki is to be a potential testing ground for the fabled "FGC Reborn!!!". OMF should be getting an e-mail from my sorry, fickle self sometime.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:32 pm

I think this will be a good place for discussion on the wiki to take place, so everyone feel free to give your opinions here too.

Someone brought up a very good point in a PM. Namely that when something not immediately obvious is stated or cited, the Wiki should (eventually) contain either a link to the original source(thread) of the theory, or else to a special page on the Wiki detailing it.

As a simple example, if the Wiki states that Rei I inhabits Unit-00, there should either be a link to any relavant thread, or better, a page on the Wiki explaining why this is the case. Similarly for other not so immediately obvious things such as the S^2 organ being in the core, or Ritsuko's jealosy of her mother. Clearly when to and when not to expand in this way, is something which will have to be played by ear. I would err on the side of providing more information, but, whatever you feel at the time.

Actually, these side pages are in large part, the primary purpose of the Wiki. If we just had basic "obvious" information pages, there wouldn't be much point in the whole thing to begin with. Still we will need the basic pages, character pages, episode pages etc, which will form the foundation on which the really interesting pages will sit. These will of course be a bit of a slog to create. I'm aiming to have a more "fleshed out" bare bones created soon.

Eventually it is hoped that the power of the Wiki will shine when these theory pages begin to cross reference each other, and one can go a wandering over the many years of evangelion analysis in one convienient place. Also it may help people to make even more connections.

There might be an argument for these pages having a sepecial template or format or the like, but I don't think that's strictly necessary. Just throw up any old kind of page is my thinking, especially since theories will all be so different. For example, for the above, a simple "Soul in Unit-00" page would seem to be fine to me. Your thoughts please.

Regarding formats in general, I don't think things should be so formalised yet. I've set up some templates to "prettify" things a little, like the character and episode inforboxes, etc. When you create a new page, just put down whatever you think is most appropriate. I think if an idea is good, it will be utilised on other pages too.

Meanwhile, I think it follows naturally that work on the "base" pages should progress first. Which isn't to say the theory pages shouldn't be worked on. As it turn out, I'll probably do most of the barebones work myself, as it is quite a tedious task. I think people are more willing to edit when a page is actually present verses making a whole new one from scratch. But if you're into that please do.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:18 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:As a simple example, if the Wiki states that Rei I inhabits Unit-00, there should either be a link to any relavant thread, or better, a page on the Wiki explaining why this is the case. Similarly for other not so immediately obvious things such as the S^2 organ being in the core, or Ritsuko's jealosy of her mother. Clearly when to and when not to expand in this way, is something which will have to be played by ear. I would err on the side of providing more information, but, whatever you feel at the time.

You've put that much better than I could. I've always thought that a concise version of a lot of the generally accepted theories would help a lot, as opposed to, say, a 20 page thread on the matter. The only thing I think it needs is a disclaimer.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:15 pm

Considering it's unlikely my bandwidth will be used up, I've decided to allow anonymous viewing of the wiki, or whatever meager content is currently there. Here's the link once again, if you want to try before you buy.

Unfortunately I may or may not be able to allow anonymous viewing of the page sources so people can get a feel for how (easily) the page is made.

EDIT: Fixed Link.
Last edited by ObsessiveMathsFreak on Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:26 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Considering it's unlikely my bandwidth will be used up, I've decided to allow anonymous viewing of the wiki, or whatever meager content is currently there. Here's the link once again, if you want to try before you buy.

Unfortunately I may or may not be able to allow anonymous viewing of the page sources so people can get a feel for how (easily) the page is made.

You have typo in that link

Return to “Fan Works”