Anno/Tomino Interview 1994

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Anno/Tomino Interview 1994

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:49 am

https://wavemotioncannon.com/2016/11/08 ... ge-071994/

Not sure if this is ever been posted before but it came up in my feed today. It's really interesting considering the timing because, while the public wouldn't know, production on Eva would have started by this point, so it's interesting to see what Anno's view on Japan and the industry was at that time. it's also interested in hindsight because Eva would essentially change the game so to speak, and we would get a lot more disturbing images in Anime afterwards like Lain and cowboy bebop and the like. Also, you have Tomino rambling on about the Beatles and one of my guilty pleasures, V Gundam. Tominio would later go on to discuss how much he hated Eva. :lol:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Re: Anno/Tomino Interview 1994

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:11 am

Anno: I didn’t feel like it was relevant to blind her. Doing so makes it the main focus of that climax. If she survives anyways she could have lost an arm, or a leg…
Heh.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:42 am

Shine on you crazy diamonds.

Did you know My Neighbour Totoro was originally shown as a double feature with Grave of the Fireflies? It's impressives to see the greats like Anno, Miyazaki, Takahata and Tomino singing from the same hymnsheet.

What’s important is that The Beatles were born in England: the country itself is solidly built on adults’ traditions – and Liverpool of all places is just a tear-inducingly sad town in the countryside. These common folks played electric guitar in such a gloomy and depressing place, knowing that staying in the country wouldn’t change anything, but having no idea of what to do about it… They kept rebelling but in the end they had to move to Germany to find an opportunity to start they career.

Uh...It's at times like this I hope my impression of Austria isn't entirely based on The Sound of Music. -o-;
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:30 am

... Liverpool of all places is just a tear-inducingly sad town in the countryside.

Pardon? Just where do they think they're talking about? England's fourth-largest city and main seaport?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:09 pm

I would actually say they're only wrong about it being that way when the Beatles left. Thatcher did annihilate the prosperity of half the country. But, no it's not 'a country town' I was actually laughing my head off but I guess I don't know too much about Japan myself.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”