Nintendo Switch

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: Nintendo Switch

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:45 am

I was excited until I heard the term "paid online" and then of course, the tech specs, as IronEvangelion mentioned, are just pathetic, and even its expandable memory (microSD) only goes up to 256GB. This thing sounds more like a cellphone than a gaming system (even a portable one). Nintendo has tried and failed to combine thier two product lines into one, and they wonder why they're behind in console sales. It's cause of sad shit like this.

*Whips out Gamecube and GBA*

Yeah, going to just stick with my classic 2000s Nintendo, at least they can't utterly disappoint me.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:37 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:
    1) Paid Online play
    2) Breath of the Wild

1) Lame. Super lame. Really, super lame.

2) Call me cynical- but Hyrule sure looks like a beautiful, sprawling environment full of… nothing. Fair enough- the trailers don’t want to spoil everything the game has to offer right away, but so far the game looks kind of dull.
Skyrim has random dragon encounters, what does BotW have?

Conference Video- Region Locking
Good news…“in general” though? What does that mean?

Fire Emblem Warriors? What is this I don’t even
Kind of sad how Chrom’s Falchion preceded Corrin’s Yato. Dammit Fates…
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:25 am

Paid online, that thing that everyone else does! Those monsters!!!! They might have the money to pay for the proper online infrastructure now! Well I never! :nopity:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:45 am

To be honest, paid online is what put me off the PS4. I bought the PS3 because the online was free, so when I heard they were making PSN a subscription service I nope'd the fuck out. I may do the same with the Switch, unless it's fairly cheap.

In an industry where online play is basically mandatory, charging extra for it is pretty inexcusable. It's like selling a console without controllers and making you buy them separately. It's extra pathetic when you consider that the biggest and most popular online gaming network there is- Steam- is completely free.

TLDR: STOP CHARGING FOR ONLINE PLAY YOU MONEY GRUBBING ARSEHOLES
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Paid online bothers me too, especially since I'd only play Mario Kart, Smash and Splatoon (and Pokémon if they'll make it for the Switch) online but if it means better servers and more options I'm fine with that. On the WiiU you always had constant lag and it was atrocious on Smash, sometimes it had so much lag it was like playing on Power Point.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:41 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Paid online, that thing that everyone else does! Those monsters!!!! They might have the money to pay for the proper online infrastructure now! Well I never! :nopity:

Doesn't matter if "everybody" is doing it, it shouldn't happen in the first place. PC has had proper online infrastructure for online multiplayer for well over a decade now without charging a dime for online multiplayer. Of course paid MMOs do exist, but those are monetized by their respective creators, there is no "blanket charge" for using online multiplayer like there is on console. With PC you pay once for the internet service your ISP provides and that's all you need to do. On console you are double-charged, once by the ISP and once by the console manufacturer. And if you play a paid MMO on console, you're sometimes triple-charged (ISP, console manufacturer, and the game publisher) for playing online.

And Nintendo's new paid online infrastructure is so "proper" that it doesn't even have a voice chat function, you have to use a cell phone to communicate with other players...
[Redacted]

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:17 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Paid online, that thing that everyone else does! Those monsters!!!! They might have the money to pay for the proper online infrastructure now! Well I never!

What do you think you're getting for that money that you would not be able to get otherwise? What makes for a "proper online infrastructure" to you?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Nah, I'll gladly fund companies that make games I like, and I don't give a frick about specs, is the game fun or not is all I care about. So take my money Nintendo.... when I have the money for you take.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:26 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:What do you think you're getting for that money that you would not be able to get otherwise? What makes for a "proper online infrastructure" to you?

A economically stable Nintendo that continues to produce games I enjoy that's what I get for paying

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:43 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:A economically stable Nintendo that continues to produce games I enjoy that's what I get for paying

What makes you think this move will achieve that goal? Nintendo's not in the same position Sony was when it slipped paid multiplayer in under the radar using Microsoft's boneheaded move with the Xbox One's DRM as a wingman maneuver. Nintendo's a firm underdog at this point and needs to find ways to undercut its competition, and by switching to charging for online it's giving up one of the few competitive advantages it had.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Retro Chocolate
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Retro Chocolate » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:28 am

I like the look of these companies. The question os how many of them will actually continue supporting the console. I'm pretty sure the wii u had a large list pf supporting companies that dropped out when the console flopped.

So what games are you guys expecting from these companies? Arc System Works meens we're probably getting either a BlazBlue or a Guilty Gear game and Square Enix will most likely be Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. I'm hoping for Senran Kagura 3 from Marvelous, but I know it'll probably just be another Story of Seasons game, and maybe if we're really lucky we'll get a Mega Man game out of Capcom (probably not).
"That's not it at all. Trying to go on living is different than trying to escape fear. Those who acted in order to live until the end, without losing themselves to fear and what was happening around them, are the ones who survived properly. We don't know what "God" is thinking, but both fortune and misfortune are thrust upon people. Even so, people exist within a domain that is theirs in which to act."
-Luca, Berserk

"Surely, a true Buster Machine pilot, the real Nono-Riri, would have a Buster Machine in the heart!!" BUSTER BEAM SLASH!!!
-Nono, Diebuster

Geometer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Geometer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:51 pm

So far disappointing, this is the only console that really got my interest in a while. The best hope now is that combination of handheld/home console game devs give it a large library, even then it probably will take time to build up a good library and 3rd party will probably abandoned it by then.

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:23 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Just read an article about the recent Switch event. Looks like Nintendo has already managed to screw this one up. Paid online that's so crappy you need a cell phone to communicate with other players? 32gb of storage on a 2017 game console? 720p max resolution on the portable screen? Yeah this may have been impressive if it was released 5 years ago, but it completely fails now. Looks like once again they're using outdated tech and charging a premium for it. For the love of Rei, Nintendo, just put a damn hard drive or 128gb minimum size flash memory in this thing. The controllers are once again hideously expensive ($70-$80). And to top it all off, the launch lineup is pathetic with the exception of a few games. I was ready to buy this thing day one when they released the first trailer, but now I'll probably wait about 2 years. Hype confirmed dead.

Regarding storage capacity... 32 GB is not ideal, but putting a hard drive in this thing would be a terrible idea. It would tank battery life, not to mention create some serious durability concerns. And realistically speaking, the capacity only matters on Switch if you're going with digital distribution... the only reason why PS4 and XB1 burn through their ample storage so rapidly is because physical games are installed to the hard drive to compensate for their slow blu-ray read speeds.

And 720p completely fails? Not in my opinion. It's not gonna leave you slack-jawed, but it's still perfectly adequate... especially on a small screen. And putting a 1080p screen or higher in there wouldn't be beneficiaul unless the games actually run at that resolution. Last I heard, lots of games run at 900p on the XB1... a console which has better specs than the Switch.

Retro Chocolate
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Retro Chocolate » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:07 am

^ The 3DS only has a 240p screen resolution, so this is a huge improvement on that. For reference, even the PS Vita only has a 544p screen resolution. That will make the Nintendo Switch the highest resolution handheld on the market.
"That's not it at all. Trying to go on living is different than trying to escape fear. Those who acted in order to live until the end, without losing themselves to fear and what was happening around them, are the ones who survived properly. We don't know what "God" is thinking, but both fortune and misfortune are thrust upon people. Even so, people exist within a domain that is theirs in which to act."
-Luca, Berserk

"Surely, a true Buster Machine pilot, the real Nono-Riri, would have a Buster Machine in the heart!!" BUSTER BEAM SLASH!!!
-Nono, Diebuster

SuperUltraMecha
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SuperUltraMecha » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Guys, it's almost march, the switch is coming, get hyped, joycon boys and gals!

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Thu May 11, 2017 6:06 am

.....aaaaand silence, lol.

I've got one. I like it quite a bit. How 'bout y'all?

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Thu May 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Heh. The silence is kind of sad, although hardly surprising. It's yet another home games console, only this one can go mobile too. Big deal.

Waiting for a price drop; decent game library to build up; inevitable redesign/light model to be released (you can't plug the console into the A/C during desktop mode?) or for Nintendo to reverse that deal-breaker paid-online decision before investing in the console myself.

Being a Bomberman fan, I was tempted by R, but reviews make it clear that this should not be a £40 game. What else is there? Yawn of the Wild? Nah, I'm a patient chap. See you in 2019 for Fire Emblem Switch.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat May 13, 2017 12:47 am

Still waiting for them to put some games on it/announce some games that I'm interested in. Aside from Breath of the Wild and the in-development Super Mario Odyssey, there's not much. The new Senran Kagura game could have sold me a Switch, but unfortunately the developer immediately said it's going to be a small download-only title/HD Rumble tech demo with only one playable character (by contrast, the upcoming Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash for PS4 has over 30). Still a game I want, but not a system-seller by itself anymore. I'm also waiting for them to iron out the inexcusable hardware issues the console has been plagued with since launch.

I will however be ordering a Japan-region New 2DS XL on July 28th (I hate region-locking, getting rid of it is one thing they did right with the Switch). I've been putting off getting a New 3DS XL for a long time now due to cost, but a much cheaper version without the 3D gimmick has convinced me to buy. Already have one game ordered for it ahead of time, plan to have a few more by the release date.
[Redacted]

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat May 13, 2017 1:01 am

Just to let you know. You can only download the remastered version of Earthbound HD from the Nintendo eStore if you have A 3DS XL.

I could be playing Earthbound now but no I had to be a responsible person and buy a 2DS so I could save some cash.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat May 13, 2017 2:36 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Just to let you know. You can only download the remastered version of Earthbound HD from the Nintendo eStore if you have A 3DS XL.

I could be playing Earthbound now but no I had to be a responsible person and buy a 2DS so I could save some cash.

Interesting, I wonder if the same restriction will apply to the new model. I'd probably own one of the old-model 2DS by now, but the non-folding design and lack of a large-screen model killed it for me. Thankfully the New 2DS XL will adopt the New 3DS XL's clamshell design, as well as its faster processor and large screen. Not like I'll be downloading much from the eStore though, owning a Japan-region New 2DS XL will lock me to the Japanese eStore from what I understand. But I will have access to an un-butchered version of FE Fates, as well as a physical copy of Senran Kagura Burst (which was download-only in the US) and a few Japan-only games I've had my eye on.
[Redacted]

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”