Where to buy Platinum DVDs, and are they worth it?

For talking about everything else Evangelion: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Sack Man
Embryo

Where to buy Platinum DVDs, and are they worth it?

•      
  •      

Postby Sack Man » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:19 pm

Firstly where should i buy the first dvd from? Playusa and dvdbo only feature the dvd, no fancy box which i heard was meant to come with it.

Secondly, what makes these new releases worth my cash? (apart from NGE being bloody great)

Quiddity
Lilith

Re: Platinum DVD's

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:51 pm

Sack Man wrote:Firstly where should i buy the first dvd from? Playusa and dvdbo only feature the dvd, no fancy box which i heard was meant to come with it.

Best Buy always has stuff for low prices. Amazon.com and TheRightStuf.com are good if you want to buy it online.

Secondly, what makes these new releases worth my cash? (apart from NGE being bloody great)

If you already own Eva on DVD I'd say don't bother. I'm not. They're asking too much of those of us on a budget to buy the series all over again. But if you have plenty of money to spend, then by all means go ahead, the picture quality should be much better.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Sack Man
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sack Man » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:11 pm

Sorry should have mentioned, im in the UK, so want somewhere that ships here and with nice, low cost shipping, unlike anime nation eek! I dont have any NGE dvd's, was about to buy them about 2 weeks back when i found out about this new set.

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Know what you mean...

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:05 am

I know what you mean, I was all set to pick up some partially used Evangelion DVDs for about $4.00 each, my VHS coies are about to give out, then I hear "But wait! We arer re-rereleasing Evangelion, this time with a bunch of extras, cooler covers, and improved image quality!

How long will I have to wait for those prices to drop!? >Sigh!<
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:15 am

http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?animenation+BA3fKB+dnge-bx1.html

Me like money. :lol:
Webmaster, EvaMonkey.com; Co-founder, EvaGeeks.org; Moderator, r/evangelion.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Twitch]

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:00 am

Has any one seen any of the redubbing work they've done on this yet? Mr. monkey perhaps ?
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:21 pm

No. I have not been able to get my hands on the first Platinum DVD. I might have been able to if ADV responded to emails. I sent several over the course of several months.

*groan*

At any rate, I'm going to see about reserving it at a nearby Suncoast, or ordering it next day delivery from Anime Nation so that I can have it in time for Otakon. One way of another I'll probably end up getting it the day it comes out or the day after. I'll try and buckle down and watch it through in each audio option and give my review to you guys before I go off to Otakon.

I don't really like dubs all that much anymore, so my review of the dub will probably be a bit biased. However its the video/audio quality and the commentary that I'll be focusing on. Not to mention the extras.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:26 pm

If I understand correctly, the second-to-last two volumes will also include the OA versions of episodes 21-24. I'm not real clear on this; are the OA like the Director's Cuts? Is it really worth slapping them onto a DVD, resulting in the two discs essentially carrying only two episodes each? After that is a volume containing episodes 25 and 26, (seemingly) followed by a disc containing "Death" and "End of Evangelion".

Is this accurate?
[url]http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/anime/essentials/eva/[/url]
(This is an English Japanese site, so don't buy from here. Use EM's link.)

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:12 am

I saw it today at BestBuy. I wanted to buy it, but I had vowed to only buy it with the box. It was so beautiful and shiny. There was a shiny metallic covering over the DVD. Beneath the metallic covering was the DVD with it's beautiful cover art. It contained 5 episodes and a 12 page booklet. Gah! I should of bought it! :cry:
I can only take so much retarded.

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:04 am

Doesn't OA stand for Original Animatic?

As in the animated storyboards they make to compose a show visually to get it formatted for an actual episode, prior to cell painting. The same animatics are often used in the dubbing process as well, to my knowledge.

However, those DVDs on that page are the original Gainax Renewal discs, and as ADV is "adapting" it, it will most likely be different in various ways.

kosure
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kosure » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:25 pm

First off, the picture quality on my DVDs is amazing. I don't need anything better. I'd buy them for the Commentary. But alas I am poor. So i don't know weather i want the commantery to be really good, or to suck. Cause i don't want to have to shell out God like $500 bucks for a series I already have.

Grr. Guess we'll just have to see.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:55 am

I'm going to buy them, because I am the total Eva Geek that many wish that they could be. Besides, this is what leftover christmas money is made for :twisted:
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Timesplitter 01
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:36 pm

EVA-01X wrote:I'm going to buy them, because I am the total Eva Geek that many wish that they could be. Besides, this is what leftover christmas money is made for :twisted:

Your not only an Eva Geek your also a mega spammer , lol :lol:

I will eventually buy the Platinum edition box set
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:44 am

Best Buy is having all their anime 20% off. I believe it's until the Saturday (August 7th).
I can only take so much retarded.

KaworuNagisa17
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KaworuNagisa17 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:21 pm

Platinum is SO worth it especiallyaftersellingmyfirstboxsetuponlearningofPlatinum, hehehehe

the cover art is awesome (is it new stuff from Sadamoto??) and the insert booklet is just bliss to read ^_^
Is Gendo Ikari gonna have to choke a bitch??

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:56 pm

Yes, the box features new illustrations from Yoshiyuki Sadamoto. The box art can be found on the stand alone Renewal DVDs. The same art is being used for the Platinum DVD covers.

Thumbnails of the covers can be seen here: http://www.evangelion.co.jp/

KaworuNagisa17
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KaworuNagisa17 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:00 pm

*looks at pics and likes em*

aww....that sucks that we don't get the Gendo cover... since ADV said the Platinum is 7 discs long....it'd be nice if Manga could rehash the movies in the same manner (w/ new, more sensical commentary PLEASE! *sharpens the Kill-Amanda-Lee knife*)

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Three people sit around a table and talk eva...

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:29 pm

Sorry, but the Evangelion movie commentary was the best I've ever heard.
And yes, I've heard a lot of them.

The most a commentary ever did for me was put me to sleep.
But this one was just fun to listen to. You found out more about the Evas, the theology, and what went on behind the scenes.

It's three people sitting down to talk about Eva as they watch the movie.
I liked it a lot.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

KaworuNagisa17
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KaworuNagisa17 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:58 am

yeah, I hear ya there....just that Amanda basically gloated about her changes in sound-effects and additional lines in the script ("do it again")...it annoyed the hell outta me.

if it were anything else, I'd be cool with it...but it's End of Eva!! NOTHING should've been messed with AT ALL ><

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:48 pm

Come on dude she added one line of dialouge and like 2 minor sound effects that you can barely notice.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”