I need help with the color paints of my Eva-01 model kit resin

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
alchemygear
Embryo

I need help with the color paints of my Eva-01 model kit resin

•      
  •      

Postby alchemygear » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:03 pm

I bought 2 rare Evangelion(eva-01 and eva-02) model kits resin from Sega before the were owned by Bandi. The directions are Japanese, I translated the colors but there Mr. Color. brand paint colors. The paints are cheap like 3 or 4 dollars a bottle but with shipping from Japan, 1 bottle at 4 dollars with shipping is 25 to 30 dollars. I want to know if there is a way to get other brand paints that match those colors in a brand that is from the US that match the same colorers. They don't sell or ship Mr. color paints anymore in the US without the high shipping price Mr. Color is only in Japan. I have all the c# Mr. Color id's for my model but need help matching paint brands in the US. I just want a way to buy the paints from the US that match the Mr. Color brand so I can buy them in the US.
Last edited by alchemygear on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Re: I need help with colors of my model kits

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:46 pm

Mr. Hobby paints, the acrylic equivalent of Mr. Color (different paint numbers though), should be available in the USA. Testors sucks AFAIK, avoid it, and so does Citadel. Tamiya should also be available.

IPMS Sweden has two color conversion charts that may be useful:
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts.asp
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts_2.asp

If the color instructions are as "good" as the ones for my Kotobukiya Evangelion kits (which have a bunch of errors regarding paint shade), it might be a good idea to compare the colors with how things appear in the anime.

If you must insist on Mr. Color paints, there may be Ebay shops in Hong Kong that are willing to ship to the USA, but realize that lacquer scale modelling paints are banned in many countries outside Asia and may be confiscated by customs.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

alchemygear
Embryo

Re: I need help with the color paints of my model kits

•      
  •      

Postby alchemygear » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:07 pm

I'm not set on the Mr. Color brand its just the only reference I have, as the model kit color directions are written in Japanese characters that I translated beginning with gs which are Mr. Color brand. I would prefer acrylics in a different brand its easer to clean my airbrush and, just want the matching colors in reference to the Mr. Color charts in the directions that come with my model. Its illegal to import Mr. Color brand paint to the United States I just want the right colors as the model I have is so rare and irreplaceable.

alchemygear
Embryo

Re: I need help with the color paints of my Eva-01 model kit resin

•      
  •      

Postby alchemygear » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:07 am

I need any color conversion of a another brand from the United States. That matches the gs colors from Mr. color in U.S in a brand that I can buy

alchemygear
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby alchemygear » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:49 am

list of colors
1.bright green c66
2.yellow green c64
3.neutral gray c13
4.medium blue c63
6.charter yellow c109
7.orange yellow c58
8.white c1
9.red c3
10.dark green c70
11.black c2
12.metallic black c79
14.gray c317
These are the Mr. Color paints that are in the directions for my model I just want another brand that I can buy in the USA that matches these exact color's.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:34 pm

Have you looked at the color conversion charts I linked to?

However, it is unlikely you will find exact matches between another brand and Mr. Color, as there always are little differences between manufacturers. If you want the closest match, you'd need to have a look at Mr. Hobby paints, which are acrylics by Gunze, the same manufacturer as for Mr. Color paints, and which should be available in the USA. The numbers likely don't match, but the color names should.
You can look up everything yourself, the information is commonly available on the internet.

Furthermore, a modelling forum such as Starship Modeler might be a better place to ask.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:36 am

It's not actually illegal to import Mr. Color lacquers, you just need all the right paperwork and that generally takes a willing business owner vs a lazy one.

If you live near a major city, especially on either coast you should be able to find at least one one place nearby.

If that fails, HobbyWave does say they ship to continental US https://www.hobbywave.com/help.html
https://www.hobbywave.com/modeling_supplies/paints
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:05 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:It's not actually illegal to import Mr. Color lacquers, you just need all the right paperwork and that generally takes a willing business owner vs a lazy one.

Okay, so that's interesting, and might also explain how in Europe we can get certain lacquer paints but not others. The ones we do get need to have an additional safety label added and the importer can only expand their range of non-European-made lacquers very slowly.

According to my previous information, exporting lacquer paint from Japan had been banned, but I guess that actually was a ban on shipping them unprotected by air mail that doesn't apply to shipping between companies.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:48 am

Yep. Before the shipping ban came in i think somewhere around 2006-ish any old yahoo could order paints directly from Japan. Then all the popular exporters like HLJ and Hobby Search simply removed them from their websites for gaijin.

Here in Toronto I do have a physical store that bring in the paints and they did also start showing up with additional english labels about how much cancer you can expect to get from sniffing them.

Charizard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:48 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Yep. Before the shipping ban came in i think somewhere around 2006-ish any old yahoo could order paints directly from Japan. Then all the popular exporters like HLJ and Hobby Search simply removed them from their websites for gaijin.

Here in Toronto I do have a physical store that bring in the paints and they did also start showing up with additional english labels about how much cancer you can expect to get from sniffing them.

Oh? Is it the one close to U of T, or the one near Pacific Mall?
My main hobby is dressing up as a 14-year-old girl
Instagram|Cosplay Facebook

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:17 pm

Hobby King closed down their physical store so AnimeXtreme is the only one left with a full rack of colors and other products (primers, thinners, clear coats, cements, etc).

Charizard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:52 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Hobby King closed down their physical store so AnimeXtreme is the only one left with a full rack of colors and other products (primers, thinners, clear coats, cements, etc).

Oh, I meant AnimeXtreme or the one in Splendid China Tower that sells all sorts of anime goods (though I think there's a third, smaller store in Pacific Mall).

I do visit AnimeXtreme regularly and even got my Nigouki model kit from there :P

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:41 pm

The last time I've been to Splendid China Tower the only store there didn't have any paint and all the model kits were horrifyingly overpriced even by local standards.

Charizard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:59 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:The last time I've been to Splendid China Tower the only store there didn't have any paint and all the model kits were horrifyingly overpriced even by local standards.

Argh, you're right. All their kits are basically 1.5 to 2x the price of the same kits at AnimeXtreme. At least they have things like the Rebuild trading figures... but those are probably overpriced too.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”