Who, truly, is best girl?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: Who, truly, is best girl?

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Chuckman wrote:If one does not place faith in one's waifu, what can one place faith in?

In Das Evangelion.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:22 am

I'm afraid that I am most conflicted. On one hand, Mari. On the other hand, Asuka. On a third hand, Sakura. No, wait, Sakura's like 20 as of 3.0. 20 is... well, I guess it still works as 'girl'.

And also, Mari does have some flaws-- though that's mainly due to Anno fucking around with her character like he has with quite a few other things in Rebuild. She may be my waifu, but I can admit there's some shortcomings.

Well, I don't know. I'm just going to go with a three-way tie.
My ongoing fanfics: NGE: (Not) the End, Evangelion: Regenesis

Winking Mari makes my heart go doki doki
We're all Asuka-fanboys? I take great exception to that. It's Mari I want to plow nine ways from Sunday, if you don't mind.

What? She's 28 now.

IAmBestGirl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby IAmBestGirl » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:16 pm

That's Easy.

Me
So, is she still so... wild in bed?

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun May 07, 2017 10:56 pm

McDonald's weighs in on best girl...
Partial to Redheads  SPOILER: Show
Guess that settles it ^_^
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Thu May 11, 2017 7:03 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I thought the consensus was that Shinji was Best Girl.

Lol

Naoko Akagi> I think it's amazing how the creator of the Magi systems has so little participation in this show, anyway, episode 21 has great glimpses of her personality, I find the Scientist / Mother / Woman dilemma interesting, and she forms the high- NERV with Gendo and Fuyutsuky, I think she could be a great character for this show.
Now known as "The Flying Fortress"

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu May 11, 2017 7:19 pm

(reads thread title)

View Original PostMagneto wrote:Naoko Akagi

SPOILER: Show

SPOILER: Show
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri May 12, 2017 6:41 am

View Original Postdev-iated wrote:There is no wrong answer to this question, except Mari. That is objectively the wrong answer. What is wrong with you?

I agree with the others there's nothing wrong with Mari and its not her fault that Anno has gone far to much in to her playful fan service side rather than her much more serious side which is shown in the manga.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:46 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I know I said this in another topic but...

Sakura Suzuhara. 3.0 version. End of discussion.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri May 12, 2017 9:37 am

Sakura was unbearable during the movie, how so many people could like her it's beyond my comprehension: she just pretends to be all smiles and cute but she's just faking it.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri May 12, 2017 9:42 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Sakura was unbearable during the movie, how so many people could like her it's beyond my comprehension: she just pretends to be all smiles and cute but she's just faking it.

What's your basis for that assertion?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri May 12, 2017 10:08 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Sakura was unbearable during the movie, how so many people could like her it's beyond my comprehension: she just pretends to be all smiles and cute but she's just faking it.

Each to his or her own but I would have said that more about Midori Kitakami and I only say this because she irritates the hell out of me when ever she's on screen and she basically that stereotype in anime that questions everything right at the wrong moment instead of getting things done. I can't stand her and she feels totality out of place in the Evangelion universe in my view she should be in one of the Gundam series or a magic girl series. No offence intended to anyone who likes her though.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri May 12, 2017 10:43 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:What's your basis for that assertion?

Her lines when Shinji asks them to remove the choker and when he's deceived by Rei Q/Mark 9. To me she never tried to understand how Shinji was feeling in those moments and she was friendly only because of Toji's relationship with him, not because she has any real affection for him (they never met before).

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Each to his or her own but I would have said that more about Midori Kitakami and I only say this because she irritates the hell out of me when ever she's on screen and she basically that stereotype in anime that questions everything right at the wrong moment instead of getting things done. I can't stand her and she feels totality out of place in the Evangelion universe in my view she should be in one of the Gundam series or a magic girl series. No offence intended to anyone who likes her though.

At least she was honest in her behavior, she knew Shinji only as "impact-kun" and she had every right to be pissed off at him for suggesting to pilot Eva 01.

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Fri May 12, 2017 12:12 pm

I, for one, quite enjoyed Sakura's television appearance.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri May 12, 2017 4:34 pm

If we're judging "best girl" on the basis of who isn't "faking it," then we must only conclude that Mari and Rei are the Best Girls in any NGE continuity.

Unless we're discussing Sadamoto's Manga Mari. She's faking it. (Also, I am bemused at the claim of its seriousness towards that character.)

(Another also, Sakura's TV appearance?)

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Fri May 12, 2017 4:41 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:(Another also, Sakura's TV appearance?)

A joke at Sakura's expense, as we never see her in NGE at all.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri May 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Ah, I thought so.

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Fri May 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Real talk though, I quite liked Sakura in the Rebuilds. I fully admit, the reasons are not entirely fleshed out other than she's simply not a dick to best boy when he re-awakens and it was neat to see an adult version of her, considering that (like I mentioned above) we never got to see her character before, barring 2.0 when she appeared briefly as a kid.

Oh, and she has a bomb-ass character design.

I also liked Maya in the OG series and Rebuilds (before she went to impact-puberty), again simply for reasons being her character design is neat and she carried a goddamn adorable little cat pillow around in NERV.

This is of course all by far secondary to real best girl Asuka.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:14 pm

Pfft, if anything that just makes me like her more, she's not cute, shes actually a badass!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun May 21, 2017 8:05 pm

^ Indeed. I mean, what else should she do, passive-agressively take it out on him the way everyone else does?
Her family died she can't turn off her feelings with a button but she tried to be nice despite that, which is actually kind of saintly or as close to that as a human gets, like, it's not like she was deceiving Shinji for some ulterior purpose.

That seems to be her personality generally given what we hear about her in ep 4 where she was apparently very understanding about being smashed in a mecha fight & even chewed out Touji for his actions.

Also yes the design is cute no wonder everyone went gaga with the fanart.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

trickorita
Embryo

Is it weird I can't pick a side?

•      
  •      

Postby trickorita » Tue May 23, 2017 3:57 am

Hello! New here and wanted to get your guy's/in girl's take on something I'm curious about.
I'm fairly new to anime as a medium, around 3 years not sure how new I am, and this is my first time actually posting in an anime forum.
Mad men was wrapping up and was a friend's house and he put Toradora on felt compelled to find as many gems like this.
Last year I found out I needed to watch NGE to have an opinion on anime.
Since then, it's become my favorite anime the best cast in any visual medium.
Anyway, I've been told in the past certain Eva characters were polarizing, but I have no idea how real that is.
I was thinking of looking into a YT once I finish at least 200 series and free write scripts just so I don't get lazy.

I've compared Shinji to Hamlet to anybody in the arts, which may or may not mean much depending who see that, but that's pretty bold.
On top of that, I'm a pretty huge Asuka and I didn't get the appeal of Rei. My favorite moment was when Rei smiled, but 20 eps later I became indiffferent towards her. Even EoE I felt what was going on the was so visually entertaining you could replace Rei with anybody and nothing would change.
Yesterday I decided to challenge myself by writing about Rei.
That's actually how I stumbled on here, the translated Anno interviews were great. Some of the stuff he said felt like something Rei would say and wondered whether or not Anno felt like life and everything he's doing isn't worth it because he can die and just get replaced. Every character in NGE became incredibly human once you could emphasize with them, I personally feel that's why characters become polarizing in the first place.

Sorry I should end this quickly; too long already
I was curious as to whether or not this abnormal and/or frowned upon
The lack of NGE on YT is a little confusing but I'm not sure it's even realistic to think people low on a certain character take the time to get it a chance.
Thanks and sorry for the length

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”