Moral Orel and Shinji Ikari

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Boethiah
Embryo

Moral Orel and Shinji Ikari

•      
  •      

Postby Boethiah » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:23 am

So has anyone else watched this show called Moral Orel? It's a show which at times has a lot of remarkable similarities to NGE, mostly in terms of pushing the boundaries of how dark content could get within their respective mediums. I wouldn't be surprised if the animators had watched NGE, in fact - lots of scenes remind me of how trippy the series could get. In fact, I think there's a character in the show that directly corresponds to one of the characters in NGE.

The most obvious analogue for Clay Puppington would be Gendo Ikari, but that's also the most flawed - Clay seems to legitimately care about Orel, he just displays it in a terrible abusive manner. Instead, I posit that Clay is the equivalent of Shinji Ikari. He and his father despise each other because of the death of his mother, and even before that his father (like Gendo in the manga) viewed Clay as stealing his mother's affection. He shows sexual attraction to anyone who will give him any modicum of affection because he never learned how to process emotion properly - this includes his mother, much like Shinji. A lot of Clay's behavior mirrors Misato's, too, but that's a passing thing.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Moral Orel and Shinji Ikari

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:06 am

I haven't seen Moral Orel since it first aired on Adult Swim, but I can definitely see the correlation. The show is brilliantly honest and dark, and I love how it clashes the light-hearted and innocent with morally offensive subject matter. I remember an episode in particular that mostly exists in Orel's head, which is very much akin to the mindfucks Shinji has in Eva.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Moral Orel and Shinji Ikari

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:07 am

View Original PostBoethiah wrote:The most obvious analogue for Clay Puppington would be Gendo Ikari, but that's also the most flawed - Clay seems to legitimately care about Orel, he just displays it in a terrible abusive manner.

The same is true of Gendo, though. This is clarified in his death scene.

It's always nice to see this show get some love. I can't think of a television series more underrated.

View Original PostSachi wrote:I haven't seen Moral Orel since it first aired on Adult Swim, but I can definitely see the correlation. The show is brilliantly honest and dark, and I love how it clashes the light-hearted and innocent with morally offensive subject matter. I remember an episode in particular that mostly exists in Orel's head, which is very much akin to the mindfucks Shinji has in Eva.

There's no direct reference, but I do think it's likely that the episode "Grounded" was influenced by NGE.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”