General 1.0 Questions.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

General 1.0 Questions.

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:18 pm

General 1.0 Questions.
I just re-watched 1.11, all the way to the end-credit scene that I've never seen before... I have some general questions to ask, instead of making multiple separate threads; I think its better if I present them in one.

I have been trying to find some older threads pertaining to 1.0; but they have been buried by nearly a decade worth of forums. So if you can link me to particular forums then that would be a great help and I thank you in advance.

I wasn't into Eva/Anime until (relatively) recently. I want to get a general vibe as to how fans reacted to Rebuild early on.
1) What was the fandom (you guys) initial reaction to the movie when it first aired?

2) What do you feel about the changes that were made compared to NGE?(For example: Kaworu on the moon/Lilith)

3) Did 1.0 as a film felt rushed?

4) What did you think of the end-credit scene?

5) So the original title for 2.0 was coined "Division"?
A)Can anyone tell me when/if Anno renamed 2.0 to how it is now.
B)What did people think the the meaning of "division" was

SPOILER: Show

6) How was the hype like for 2.0?
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: General 1.0 Questions.

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:37 pm

View Original PostKRandMJ wrote:1) What was the fandom (you guys) initial reaction to the movie when it first aired?

No comment - I hadn't discovered Eva, or anime at all, at that date!

2) What do you feel about the changes that were made compared to NGE?(For example: Kaworu on the moon/Lilith)

One thing that has become very clear is that it is not helpful to see the films as a "version" of NGE. They are a different but related story which happens to start out with a great deal in common, though that reduces constantly as the films progress. In fact people say that re-viewing 1.11 after seeing 2.22 and 3.33 the differences between 1.11 and NGE become both more apparent and more significant.

3) Did 1.0 as a film felt rushed?

Not to me.

4) What did you think of the end-credit scene?

I have nothing to say on that; trailers are just that, and are not guaranteed to be spot-on.

5) So the original title for 2.0 was coined "Division"?
A)Can anyone tell me when/if Anno renamed 2.0 to how it is now.
B)What did people think the the meaning of "division" was

SPOILER: Show

First time I've heard of that - no idea of the significance.

6) How was the hype like for 2.0?

See first answer.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:52 pm

I'm not even going to pretend that my memory is good enough to represent EGF's congregate opinions from however many years ago, so I'll provide some navigational pointers instead. When you're in the Rebuild subforum, at the bottom of the thread listing there should be a bar for navigating to other pages of threads. Just go to the very last page of the Rebuild subforum and work your way forward (in time, that is, which means going backward in the thread listing from higher to lower numbers) from there to get at the threads that interest you. URL-hacking is a good way to jump through the thread listings faster than the forum might manually allow. To illustrate, the hyperlinked "63" (last page) will give you this URL:

Code: Select all

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewforum.php?f=14&start=1550

Since at that point, the first movie hadn't even been released yet, you can cruise forward in time by the amount YOU want just by adjusting the number after "start", so just for example...

Code: Select all

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewforum.php?f=14&start=1250

This situates you at a point following 1.0's release, on page 51 of the thread listing. Here, you can continue adjusting the URL if you like, or just go forward in single increments to pages 52, 53, and so on until you find the threads you're looking for.

Another possibility is to do an advanced search with Google (off-site) using keywords "site:forum.evageeks.org rebuild" and a date range that will bring up relevant threads. Pertinent times to use would be the various releases of Eva 1.0 (Japanese theatrical, Japanese DVD, Japanese Blu-Ray, etc.).

As for 2.0's title, it was never changed from "Break". Each of the new theatrical features has two titles, one in Japanese and one in English (the latter providing the international title), echoing the fact that every NGE episode similarly has two titles. The Japanese film title has always been announced first, and the second later. In Japan, both of a given film's titles appear together on advertising and official products. If you're curious about the meaning, there have been discussions about it. Do a search for "jo ha kyu(u)" or something like that.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:38 am

I think the response to 1.0 was pretty muted. People enjoyed the movie, they quibbled about the small changes here & there, they applauded the fully realized version of Operation Yashima but from what I can recall because the 1st movie was such a strict remake of the original show almost all the conversation was about the new elements like Mari that would start showing up in the second film.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:11 am

"Evangelion Ha" translates into "Evangelion Break," which I guess could also mean "Division."

I enjoyed 1.01 and 1.11. The movie feels less rushed to me the more movies follow it. At first I thought that they were breezing by important material, then after 2.22 I realized that the information "skipped" in 1.11 wasn't even "information" as far as NTE was concerned at all. Like pwhodges said, NTE is its own beast, and shouldn't be that closely compared to NGE.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”