Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Javik
Adam

3x3 thread

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:59 am

Let's have a 3x3 thread. Pick nine pictures to represent your favorite anime, manga or both and then put them together into a mosaic using this site:
http://bighugelabs.com/mosaic.php
Usually what people do next is rate the other charts in a "x/y" formula. "x" being the number of shows you liked, "y" being the number of shows you watched from the specific chart. You can do that, but that's kind of boring so we can just comment on each others choices or the mosaics themselves. You can also ask for recommendations based on them.

Here's my own chart:

I also have some charts with anime on them but mixed with non-anime/manga stuff, so that might be off-topic.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 3x3 thread

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:58 am

And there I was thinking about dropping my 3by3 into the "other favourite anime" thread. So here it is

@Javik 5/6

§ 

Edit: taking Eva as read, swapping in #10 on my list gives

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:45 pm

There are so many anime I like it's really hard to just pick nine, but I think this is a pretty good representation of shows that mean a lot to me, in no particular order..... other than Eva being the center of it all. Otherwise, feel free to mock or like my tastes. ^_^

there's a lot I recognize on the other lists, but a lot I don't too, Mr Tines, what are the ones in the top left and the bottom center?
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:52 pm

Which image went where was more or less arbitrary and i probably could have made it prettier, but whatever.

Edit: rehosted image
Last edited by TehDonutKing on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:10 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Mr Tines, what are the ones in the top left and the bottom center?
Simoun (from the first few seconds of the OP) and Dennou Coil (a piece of "live action" fan art).

Also 2.5/5
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:31 am

For some reason my work computer is blocking all the images besides tehdonutking's so let me say for yours I've seen '97 Berserk, Cowboy Bebop, read Clannad, and read Azumanga. What is that kitchen show it looks familiar for some reason; is it Nia_7? You have quite a few shows I've been wanting to watch for a while though. Thanks for making me feel worse it's taken so long to get to them!

Anyways, this was really tough. I left out some manga I adore like Sanctuary and some anime I love like Brigadoon. Probably could've made a manga one and an anime one. These are all movies or series I've read or watched numerous times though.

SPOILER: Show

Javik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:44 am

Mr. Tines: I've seen that one before on /a/. Love Mushishi, Tutu and Eva. Liked Dennou Coil and Gankutsuou but wasn't really a fan of Simoun. I'm actually watching Mouryou no Hako right now

hui43210: Big fan of FLCL. Liked Akira, LotGH, Berserk and Revy is best girl. Thought Raxhephon was so-so and am watching Eurek Seven right now as well. Didn't like Code Geass.

Teh Donut King: Really like this one. LOved Penguindrum, Bebop, Utena, TTGL and Penguindrum. Liked the rest.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:31 am

I cheated a fair bit with Host club and The Wallflower but seriously the two are so close in my mind and came at the exact same point int my life that I cant separate the two, they are equally great.
Also yes, putting the grasses on was necessary.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:59 pm

View Original PostJavik wrote:Mr. Tines: I've seen that one before on /a/.
Yes -- "here is one I prepared earlier" in truth. I note you skirting past the non-shoujo magical girls, though.

For yours, I dropped FLCL, and haven't watched Casshern, *gatari, nor bottom middle (Angel's Egg?)

@TDK : 2.5/3

@MuscleRobo : If those are all manga, then 0/0, I'm afraid (and at best it would be 1/1 if that's an old Gundam I've seen). I watch my japtoons far more than read them.

@Rosenakahara : 4/4

Javik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:28 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Yes -- "here is one I prepared earlier" in truth. I note you skirting past the non-shoujo magical girls, though.

For yours, I dropped FLCL, and haven't watched Casshern, *gatarti, nor bottom middle (Angel's Egg?)

Yeah, I haven't watched Nanoha and Yuki Yuna. Bottom-middle is Angel's Egg and I don't know what you mean by gatarti.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:35 pm

Top right -- given your reaction, I probably misidentified that, as well as having finger trouble writing "*gatari".

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:08 pm

I can't get my mosiac to upload. Can anyone help me or show me how?
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:19 pm

@Director Black: You don't upload to the forum; you host on your preferred image site and put a link.

My scores:
Javik 5/6
Tines 4/5 (also 4/5 as revised)
hui43210 4/4
TehDonutKing 6/6
MuscleRobo 0/0
@Rose - sorry, can't see yours because Tumblr's IPv6 implementation is seriously broken, and so my IPv6-enable system only sees half only half their servers (it's been like that since last year, in spite of people complaining).
EDIT - got to see Rose's on another computer: 4/4
Last edited by pwhodges on Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Javik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:24 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Top right -- given your reaction, I probably misidentified that, as well as having finger trouble writing "*gatari".

Ah no, it's not Monogatari. It's Tatami Galaxy.
Director Black wrote:I can't get my mosiac to upload. Can anyone help me or show me how?

What exactly are you having problem with? Create the mosaic, copy it in into imgur. Then use the link with the image itself and put it in brackets.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:39 pm

Thanks.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:54 pm

My score on that: 6/7
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:50 pm

Is this supposed to be a guessing game? I feel like some of the images chosen are deliberately cryptic, and no one is listing the shows represented in their mosaic.

Well, I'll play along, my list is easy mode though as I haven't watched that much anime.

Titles  SPOILER: Show
Gunbuster, Patlabor, Evangelion
Ghost in the Shell, Serial Experiments Lain, Record of Lodoss War
Berserk, Hanasaku Iroha, Kyousougiga
Last edited by A.T. Fish on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:05 am

Here's mine:
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Javik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:39 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Is this supposed to be a guessing game? I feel like some of the images chosen are deliberately cryptic, and no one is listing the shows represented in their mosaic.

I think you're a bit paranoid. I recognize almost all the anime posted so far. Some of the titles are just less known in general, but if you know them you'll easily recognize the pictures from them. Besides, you can just ask others.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:58 am

I'm disappointed this is not about 3x3 Eyes. :(
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Return to “Anime and Manga”