Mari can't be Asuka's stepmother

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
asukashikinami
Embryo

Mari can't be Asuka's stepmother

•      
  •      

Postby asukashikinami » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:41 am

I think that the new theory of Mari being the stepmother of Asuka is quite silly… Mari wasn’t the Kyoko’s husband new wife and she couldn’t have a daughter older than Asuka. Mari was 16 in 1998, Kyoko died on 2004-2006… so apparently Mari had a (as “that” girl looks in manga) a daughter at least of 10 years old… So, the point is at Kyoko’s death Mari was like 24 years old, and with a child of 10 years? So Mari had a daughter at 14 years old? That’s impossibru ‘cause she was 16 when she met Yui.

:um:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Mari can't be Asuka's stepmother

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:52 am

Is this a reddit or 4chan thing? Cuz I'd never heard this one and I wish I could have remained blissfully unaware.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:49 am

Fan theories are usually ..... pretty stupid.

And whoever believes this to be the truth will probably do so for the rest of their life because the likelihood of Final delving into Mari's past is super slim. At most her role in the final film will probably continue to be the secondary role she's played in two films so far which is being playful, energetic, maybe a scene or two with Shinji telling him to live his life & just being a great presence.... one that people will continue to knock because she's not as deep as the original cast.... nor was she ever meant to be.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:07 am

One of the related fan theories I've heard is that the dark-haired girl is just a figment of Kyoko's deluded mind since Asuka never mentions having a stepsister and she's a non-entity outside that one page. Or that the girl is herself Mari, which directly contradicts the bonus chapter.

Grown up Manga Mari being a surrogate mom for tiny tot Asuka is a really cute idea, but it's fanfic, just like the idea that the Rebuild Mari was also Yui's contemporary but hasn't aged thanks to Eva's curse.

It would be nice to know a little more about Mari's history just to get a sense of where she came from, but maybe there's nothing worth telling beyond what we know already. She's some troublemaker kid Kaji took as his protege and it opens doors for her.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:25 am

I personally don't think Mari was Asuka's step mum or a clone but I do feel that Mari could have been her daughter and Asuka's step sister as I read the Manga and I found that segment you posted really interesting and it is clear that Asuka does have a bond with Mari in 3.33. As mentioned above I think the most frustrating thing about Mari is even three movies in we still know nothing about her I just really hope the final movie cleans everything up.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:32 am

Kaji knows more about Mari than anyone else in the series (except for maybe Mari herself), and that's only evident in as far as their working relationship that one time in the beginning of 2.22. If we were to get any more Mari-related backstory it would be tied with Kaji and only Kaji (not Asuka/Misato/Shinji/whoever), and even then it would probably only contain the details surrounding the mission at the beginning of Eva Jo.

namada
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby namada » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:37 pm

If Mari was Asuka's stepmom wouldn't they have a completely different relationship in the movies? I guess they meet off-camera during the timeskip (or maybe some time before that briefly) so we wouldn't know their initial reactions ("mom???" "princess!!!") and I do admit that 'princess' is probably something someone's mom might call them _and_ it might make sense to Asuka for her to call her stepmom 'glasses' so that the situation isn't found out... but it's just... inherently weird.
Even for a show that has a ton of parent issues of all kinds, it just seems odd if one is possibly "Asuka's mom went insane and died and her stepmom turns out to never age and they meet years later, also at this point Asuka stops aging too so now she and her stepmom are non-aging at the same age and Asuka's original mom also maybe resides within 02, which Asuka's stepmom piloted at one point".

That's a little weird, I think. Although... holy heck... what if this is actually true and 08's resident soul is the other half of kyoko that was salvaged after she actually died

That's... too much...

EDIT: also, side note: there's no way the woman in that picture isn't Asuka's mom (kyoko). It's plain as day and I'm 100% sure the only reason she looks so similar to Asuka in the first place is because she was designed for viewers to realize who she was at first glance. A slightly older woman with hair extremely similar to Asuka's and red glasses? give khara a break, already!

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:17 pm

Asuka is Mari's sister....and her daughter.

Forget it, Shinji. It's Evangelion.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Mari is simply part of Asuka, and I'm not talking my weird sequel theory, I'm saying that Anno took aspects of Soryu and made a second character out of them.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

asukashikinami
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby asukashikinami » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:38 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:One of the related fan theories I've heard is that the dark-haired girl is just a figment of Kyoko's deluded mind since Asuka never mentions having a stepsister and she's a non-entity outside that one page. Or that the girl is herself Mari, which directly contradicts the bonus chapter.

Grown up Manga Mari being a surrogate mom for tiny tot Asuka is a really cute idea, but it's fanfic, just like the idea that the Rebuild Mari was also Yui's contemporary but hasn't aged thanks to Eva's curse.

It would be nice to know a little more about Mari's history just to get a sense of where she came from, but maybe there's nothing worth telling beyond what we know already. She's some troublemaker kid Kaji took as his protege and it opens doors for her.

Yes, I've also heard that the sera-fuku dark haired girl was on Kyoko's mind. But in manga what is known of Asuka's past is her like eugenics origin and that the woman of glasses was her stepmother, but is not it is not entirely definite where does her Langley surname is obtained, I've also read that her mother got married after having Asuka (?), and I've never see that in the manga.

I've read this "theory" in a lot of eva's forums, but is just impossible. :cringe:

asukashikinami
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby asukashikinami » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:45 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I personally don't think Mari was Asuka's step mum or a clone but I do feel that Mari could have been her daughter and Asuka's step sister as I read the Manga and I found that segment you posted really interesting and it is clear that Asuka does have a bond with Mari in 3.33. As mentioned above I think the most frustrating thing about Mari is even three movies in we still know nothing about her I just really hope the final movie cleans everything up.

Yes, is really frustating not knowing anything of Mari in the three eva movies, I feel like 4 movies are not enough to explain new evangelion universe. I don't think Mari could Asuka's step sister because of her age, she is like 5-6 years younger than Yui. In the final final stage, when is known that Mari met Yui from university, is like she conects eva manga-anime with the rebuild, but in that final stage Yui's surname was Ikari, and not Ayanami like is revealed on 3.33.

asukashikinami
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby asukashikinami » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:57 pm

View Original Postnamada wrote:If Mari was Asuka's stepmom wouldn't they have a completely different relationship in the movies? I guess they meet off-camera during the timeskip (or maybe some time before that briefly) so we wouldn't know their initial reactions ("mom???" "princess!!!") and I do admit that 'princess' is probably something someone's mom might call them _and_ it might make sense to Asuka for her to call her stepmom 'glasses' so that the situation isn't found out... but it's just... inherently weird.
Even for a show that has a ton of parent issues of all kinds, it just seems odd if one is possibly "Asuka's mom went insane and died and her stepmom turns out to never age and they meet years later, also at this point Asuka stops aging too so now she and her stepmom are non-aging at the same age and Asuka's original mom also maybe resides within 02, which Asuka's stepmom piloted at one point".

That's a little weird, I think. Although... holy heck... what if this is actually true and 08's resident soul is the other half of kyoko that was salvaged after she actually died

That's... too much...

EDIT: also, side note: there's no way the woman in that picture isn't Asuka's mom (kyoko). It's plain as day and I'm 100% sure the only reason she looks so similar to Asuka in the first place is because she was designed for viewers to realize who she was at first glance. A slightly older woman with hair extremely similar to Asuka's and red glasses? give khara a break, already!

Yes, I think the same about Mari been Asuka's stepmother, and that the woman who has Asuka's hair style plus glasses is not Kyoko, maybe just an Anno's way to mindfuck again. And what it seems is that Asuka Shikinami hasn't the traumatic past as Asuka Sohryu has. The puppet shown was a gift of her mom. Is not clear at all who is the soul that EVA-02 has.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:00 pm

View Original Postasukashikinami wrote:Is not clear at all who is the soul that EVA-02 has.

Or indeed if Evas have souls at all in Rebuild. Yui being Unit-01's "Control System" may well be a special case, as well as not being quite the same.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

asukashikinami
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby asukashikinami » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:25 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Or indeed if Evas have souls at all in Rebuild. Yui being Unit-01's "Control System" may well be a special case, as well as not being quite the same.

Mmm... I think I remember that in 1.11 EVA-00 had the bad reaction hitting in the cubicle who it was. When[u][u] Mari [/u][/u]pilots EVA-02 she says "smells like someone I met before" (maybe Kyoko), and in consideration that Yui was the star of Futyusuki's Metaphysical Biology lab, the idea of a soual being the source of life of all living things is inherent on EVA project.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”