Neon Genesis Evangelion: Tribulation

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

(Not)
Embryo

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Tribulation

•      
  •      

Postby (Not) » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:50 am

HI, everyone! This thread is for a fictional series I've conceived that could be thought of as a sort of spinoff of Neon Genesis Evangelion. It'd actually be a direct sequel to the original series (ignoring the Rebuilds), starting mere seconds after End Of Evangelion and following Shinji and Asuka after Instrumentality.

Tribulation is generally smaller-scale than the original series; the new antagonist monsters, Idols, are stronger and larger than individual humans, but not to the point of needing Evangelions to take them out, which is good, because there are no Evangelions, and Shinji and Asuka are stuck taking them on with guns and melee weapons. Idols are creatures formed by several human souls sort of congealing together and crawling out of the Red Sea. They naturally seek to become one with all souls by killing and eating any humans or other Idols they see. The Red Sea is in fact a giant Idol itself, but it is simply so large that individual humans and Idols are not large enough for it to notice.

Here are the episode titles and synopses:

01 Start Of Something New/I Left You To Find Myself But Found You Instead
Immediately after the events of End Of Evangelion, Shinji and Asuka run in opposite directions to find an empty Earth, unable to even look at each other. They search for other survivors and, finding none, mentally prepare themselves to live truly alone. But when they discover shambling, cannibal monsters called Idols are the Earth's new inhabitants, each panics for the other's safety and they regroup at the same beach where they parted, feeling ever-so-slightly safer together.

02 Exploring The New Earth/Survival Is Rebellion Against The Ruler Of This World, Death
Shinji and Asuka argue over where to go - Shinji wants to locate a city to find an abundance of supplies, shelter, and weapons, while Asuka wants to flee to the country where there are fewer Idols. Asuka wins. When they are pursued by Idols regardless, Asuka is left questioning herself.

03 Mountain Climbers/You Make Everything Less Special
Shinji and Asuka try to establish a stable life in a small cabin in the mountains. They cannot stand each other, and eventually one of them burns it down, maybe accidentally. They consider splitting up again but, against their better judgment, cannot bring themselves to do so.

04 Children Of Evil/The Beast Rises From The Ocean To Mark Its Prey
Asuka has a flash of inspiration and locates a radio tower, where she contacts a primitive network set up by NERV. There have been no active users since Instrumentality, but she is able to access old theoretical work that may shed light on what the Idols are - and just in time for Shinji to successfully kill one with a metal pole. These are no Angels.

05 Chastity/I Fear That Even My Love May Devour Me
As Shinji and Asuka scrounge the countryside for food, Asuka struggles with conflicting feelings - her growing attraction to Shinji, who, as far as she knows, is the last man alive, and her uncertainty as to whether intimacy is safe in a post-Instrumentality world. These feelings lead to frustration and hatred, which are somewhat mitigated by all of the close encounters with death.

06 Paradise Lost/The Ruins Of Babel Warn Those Who Would Rebuild It
Asuka finally assents to Shinji's plan to find an urban center, and heads for the nearest. Tokyo-3 is in worse condition than either remembered: it's a smoking hole in the ground, and worse, it's crawling with idols. Asuka is upset that any positive memories of the city are lost forever, while Shinji is secretly pleased that he will not have to return to the site of so much bloodshed and trauma.

07 Asuka And Shinji On The Road/We Are Both Blind But I Don't Want To Follow Anyone But You
Making plans to visit Kyoto, which they believe is still standing, Shinji and Asuka hit the highways, which have long been abandoned. Using the few cars that are still operational, they teach each other how to drive - through trial and error. Asuka finds herself becoming less confrontational, and Shinji finds himself becoming less defensive.

08 Moloch Drooling/A Vision Of Full Inhuman Commitment
Recognizing that one Idol is partially composed of Kensuke, Shinji tries in vain to separate him out, either through talking or physical force, but is nearly consumed instead. In its jaws he experiences his soul being violently tugged out of his body, renewing his fear of death and making him appreciate his life more when he narrowly escapes. Without Asuka's intervention to kill the Idol, he would have been lost.

09 Memories And Tensions/There's No One Left To Look Up To Anymore
When night falls, Asuka locates a fairly secure military outpost at which to spend the night. Shinji finally takes time to reflect on his likely status as one of the only surviving humans. Reminded of Kaji, Asuka becomes overwhelmed by sexual feelings and sleeps with Shinji.

10 Idols Converge/An Arrival Heralded By Birth Pangs
Asuka and Shinji drive into Kyoto in the morning. It is safer than Asuka had imagined - there are not all that many Idols - and it is loaded with supplies. The city is repeatedly shaken by earthquakes that seem to be coming from the bay, though - it is one giant Idol growing ever larger and more ferocious as it eats others.

11 Last Rites Of SEELE/Those Who Try To Buy A Soul Will Lose The One They Had
Asuka and Shinji make a failing bid to kill the giant Idol by taking charge of a warship and firing N2 torpedoes at it. The Idol, which was originally composed of SEELE members, is simply too powerful, comparable with the old Angels. However, it attempts to draw from the Red Sea, and is instead sucked down and absorbed itself - gone.

12 Hope And Panic/Our Children Will Blame Us For The Entirety Of Sin
In the following weeks, Shinji and Asuka find life becoming more peaceful. Idol encounters are still common, but less so - and even then, they seem somehow restrained, now, compared to the largest Idol that was. But Asuka has become pregnant, and Shinji is increasingly forced to take care of her in a one-sided fashion, rather than their typical codependent relationship. Each considers the future of the human race, and comes to no conclusions - except that there will soon be at least three humans, rather than two.

This is all I have, at least for now. I hope you all enjoy it! :)

Apalos
Lilith

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion: Tribulation

•      
  •      

Postby Apalos » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:25 pm

I'd read it. I have read similar stories in the past, but some did not get anywhere, story wise. Other good ones got abandoned. While a small few have finished.

Is it odd that I really like your chapter titles?
Lurk, Work, Twerk...
Currently working on:
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Broken Trinity: From the Sea
Summary: Shinji Ikari, the last and first human on earth, screams. (Post 3I)

(Not)
Embryo

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion: Tribulation

•      
  •      

Postby (Not) » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:14 am

View Original PostApalos wrote:I'd read it. I have read similar stories in the past, but some did not get anywhere, story wise. Other good ones got abandoned. While a small few have finished.

Is it odd that I really like your chapter titles?

Thank you. ^_^ The titles are intended as a rough emulation of the original show's episode titles.

This fic is really intended more as a real-world hypothetical than a regular fic, a sort of what if scenario where we got a sequel series instead of the Rebuild movies. If I do expand this "project" (if you can call it that) to feature length, it'll be in script format with attention given to how it might actually appear animated onscreen.

Return to “Fanfiction”