Anno apologizes for 4th film delay

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
mastafishere
Lilith

Anno apologizes for 4th film delay

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:42 pm

I couldn't find this posted anywhere and I wanted to hear what fans had to say about this:

http://kotaku.com/an-apology-to-evangel ... 1783903322

"Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 is slated to the fourth and last entry in the Rebuild of Evangelion series. It has been held up, however, by the new Godzilla film. Hideaki Anno is sorry about that.

Anno, who created Evangelion, is helming the new Japanese Godzilla film, and thus he had to temporarily put Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 on ice.

“To all the Evangelion fans, I’m really, really keeping you all waiting,” Anno recently said (via Oricon). “I am truly sorry.”

Continuing, Anno was quoted as saying, “Evangelion can only be described as my soul. It’s a work that chips off parts of me.” It got to the point where nothing was left, and Anno felt trapped while making Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo. He didn’t have a chance to recharge.

“Up until then, after doing the third entry Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, I thought I wasn’t going to make any more,” Anno said. He then got the offer to do Godzilla Resurgence. “At that time, I went into talks with Toho, and it saved me. I think this is how I’m able to keep making Evangelion. However, since it is a fact that I’m making everyone wait, I deeply apologize for that.”

While the wait has been excruciating, I'm glad Anno has found something to recharge his batteries. 3.0 devastated him and it shows. It's a masterpiece precisely because it contains his heart and soul. I have sky high hopes for 3.0 + 1.0 and I'm sure it'll deliver because of his commitment to it.

It would have been nice if he gave us an update though, even if the movie wasn't as far as along as we'd hoped. Still, it was nice to have him acknowledge the wait.

Jimbob
Adam

Re: Anno apologizes for 4th film delay

•      
  •      

Postby Jimbob » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:32 pm

Sometimes I think this franchise would be improved if Anno actually just bowed out and left it in the hands of people that actually want to work on it.

Because he talks like it's this massive burden he has to bear.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:48 pm

View Original PostJimbob wrote:Sometimes I think this franchise would be improved if Anno actually just bowed out and left it in the hands of people that actually want to work on it

That would be a horrible idea given how personal Eva is to him
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:55 pm

View Original PostJimbob wrote:Sometimes I think this franchise would be improved if Anno actually just bowed out and left it in the hands of people that actually want to work on it.

Because he talks like it's this massive burden he has to bear.

Even people who work with their passion need time to reset and cool off. It's not that it's a "burden" to him, it's simply that having it take over so much of your work and time is exhausting.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:58 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:That would be a horrible idea given how personal Eva is to him

Um, excuse me it could be great! Let's have AU anime Evangelion series instead of our bountiful spin off manga ranging from medicore to awful. Let's get Yasuhiro Imagawa to direct the first Evangelion AU!

Jimbob
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jimbob » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:32 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Even people who work with their passion need time to reset and cool off. It's not that it's a "burden" to him, it's simply that having it take over so much of your work and time is exhausting.

You say this but there are plenty of creators in the industry working with their passion and loving every minute of it. Anno on the other hand refers to making Eva as chipping off pieces of his soul. That does not sound like a healthy relationship with your work at all.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:42 pm

View Original PostMuscleRobo wrote:Um, excuse me it could be great! Let's have AU anime Evangelion series instead of our bountiful spin off manga ranging from medicore to awful. Let's get Yasuhiro Imagawa to direct the first Evangelion AU!

Every evas has like 7 different armor configurations and/or transformations, including a gestalt form?

...I'd watch it.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Cookie H Wilson
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Cookie H Wilson » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:26 pm

The thirst is real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB-Hdsf ... MjA3MjAxNg

fake obviously

At least Anno with this "announcement" gave us a spoon of water.
At least not completely shelved.
Do you guys remeber the --I dunno if it was Sadamoto's or Tsurumaki's-- guideline for SHIN? The with and blue book.
�Smash the control images. Smash the control machine.�
― William S. Burroughs

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:19 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Every evas has like 7 different armor configurations and/or transformations, including a gestalt form?

...I'd watch it.

Isn't that already the direction they're taking? Unit 02 has 6 configurations and 8+2. :tongue:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:08 am

Amateur troll: "Kept you waiting, huh?"

Master troll: "Keeping you waiting, huh?"

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:36 am

View Original PostCookie H Wilson wrote:The thirst is real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB-Hdsf ... MjA3MjAxNg

fake obviously

At least Anno with this "announcement" gave us a spoon of water.
At least not completely shelved.
Do you guys remeber the --I dunno if it was Sadamoto's or Tsurumaki's-- guideline for SHIN? The with and blue book.

What's the different names for those different version's of the next episode preview music?

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:22 am

To go back to the OP, if you had looked at the "Khara specifically hiring animators for the next Evangelion work" thread or the "Anno is writing and directing a Godzilla movie" thread, you would've clearly seen this has already been talked about in great length.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:45 am

So indeed, it will take 6 years to make the final film. So I guess 2018 is when we should expect it? The good news is that we'll (probably) get a first teaser trailer next year.

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:00 pm

Even with the disappointment that Rebuild was, by not innovating or improving the original series and removing all the psychoanalytical and mindfucks parts behind, my view of the original series nas never been shaken.

In fact, I've just finished my first year in my second university : Psychology. I've always read Freud out of interest, but due to University, I've taken all Psychoanalytical electives and extra classes as possible. it has become clear to me, that Anno has put A LOT OF WORK into reading Freud and actually building Eva as a bizarre case study. it's not just Rei and Kaworu representing the Oedip Complex, there is much more to it.

However, I'm honestly intrigued by Anno claiming "Eva is his soul" after producing 3.33.
I don't know how to interpretate this. Did he REALLY put all his soul into making a half ass remake action-focused? Or is he just being hypocritical? I'd rather it would be the later. The former would imply he has always been a mediocre writer which had a lucky creativity burst back in his 30's in the period he was undergoing western psychoanalysis and probably read about Freud in the process. But since then, exhausted all his intellectual creativity ability and had not read much more about the human mind or other philosophers and just returned to his geeky teenager mecha-focused origins.

Sometimes I think this franchise would be improved if Anno actually just bowed out and left it in the hands of people that actually want to work on it.

Even with the harsh criticism I've just made, I still strongly disagree with this. Eva is a very personal job, of a very specific difficult period of its creator life, you can't make a remake wihout preservig its essence. I can't think a modern holywoodian director that wouldn't make a shallow pretentious *** with too much action scenes. Even WORSE than rebuild was. Hollywood would fail to properly understand that "essence".
The last thing we need is a Re-Rebuild even more action focused. No thank you. The fact is: Eva is 100% concluded. It has been for almost 20 years, now.
-----------------------------------------------------
Re-watching Eva since 1999

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:05 am

I am with the delay Anno, heck I would be happy if you just forget the Rebuild and make other things than make you feel better, I am hyped for you Godzilla Movie, so yeah do what you want please.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:39 pm

View Original Postsephirotic wrote:Even with the harsh criticism I've just made, I still strongly disagree with this. Eva is a very personal job, of a very specific difficult period of its creator life, you can't make a remake wihout preservig its essence. I can't think a modern holywoodian director that wouldn't make a shallow pretentious *** with too much action scenes. Even WORSE than rebuild was. Hollywood would fail to properly understand that "essence".
The last thing we need is a Re-Rebuild even more action focused. No thank you. The fact is: Eva is 100% concluded. It has been for almost 20 years, now.

I don't agree. He would just need to make an outline or the script. A good team could do the rest. This whole rebuild thing has been a fiasco and poorly planned from the start. If he can't do it properly, at least he could let other competent people do the job.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:15 pm

^ You're stating your opinion. Please don't treat is as fact.

I don't find the Rebuild films to be poorly planned. I don't find them to be a fiasco.

They are what they are. And Evangelion without Anno is just merchandise.

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:01 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:I don't agree. He would just need to make an outline or the script. A good team could do the rest. This whole rebuild thing has been a fiasco and poorly planned from the start. If he can't do it properly, at least he could let other competent people do the job.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I don't find the Rebuild films to be poorly planned. I don't find them to be a fiasco.
They are what they are. And Evangelion without Anno is just merchandise.

Rebuild definitely isn't a Fiasco for a commercial point of view. It sell a lot and received relatively positive reviews, even if the majority agree that it is not better than the original. It helped as a new influx of casual fans for the series.

But then again, story wise, it was completely dispensable. It was nothing.
I always had low expectations for Rebuild, I always knew it was not going to be as good as the original series, thus didn't really get disappointed with 1.11 and 2.22.

Then came 3.33... And even with the low expectations, Anno managed to go much lower than what I expected.
At this point I have little to no fate the 4.0 will have any small little bit of introspection elements. Only way It could be good is if it was actually two movies, a prequel to 3.33 and a sequel, with the prequel consisting MOSTLY of mindfucks and characters Analysis with the final sequel wrapping everything up perfectly with plenty more of mindfuck like an EoE 2.0. (or a 3 hours movie with over 1 hour of flashbacks, which would be sloppy.)
That simply ain't gonna happen. We are not gonna have any sort of new deep message. It will be just a mess. Write my words.
Re-watching Eva since 1999

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:12 am

Mind-fuck is not the only way to tell this story; and he's done that version already.
Last edited by pwhodges on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:01 am

I'm kinda done arguing the merits of the Rebuild as films. As a filmmaker from a personal standpoint I find Anno's command on the artistry & nuances of film making is far superior to what he did in the original (besides End of Evangelion which is his masterpiece). Neon Genesis Evangelion is a fantastic work of art but it's sloppy & as a narrative leaves much to be desired. If people actually watched NGE from a narrative standpoint they would see it's pretty weak - plot elements that are introduced are never built on, the whole series completely waffles away any real sense of narrative in the third act to more directly attack the weaknesses of the characters themselves (kinda like a certain film in a certain series) before narrative is almost completely thrown away for an 80 minute feature film finale that is almost nothing more than pure emotion & visual expression. NGE is not a great example of a plot driven tale. But, it works as art because it came from a pure place within the author and it wonderfully connected to the audience on an instinctual level.

Rebuild is not doing that. Rebuild could never do that. NGE was lighting in a bottle. You can't catch lighting in a bottle twice. Rebuild is instead a filmmaker returning to his greatest work from a more mature & steady point in his life & approaching the same emotions from a different angle. It's no longer the existential "Life is awful & I'm a failure & everything's against me" emotional purge that Anno put out when he was a young artist. It is a man in the middle of his life accepting of who he is & understanding that "Life isn't awful & I'm not a failure & the world is not really against me but instead the flaws of who I am as an individual is what truly hurts me but is also what truly makes me who I am."

I find Rebuild - so far - to be a richer work. Does it have flaws? Yes. But it's got a lot more going on as a film series then the usual piss poor things people attack it - usually the same pedantic bullshit like "It's not as good as the original" or "It doesn't have enough of my favorite character" or "Who is this Mari girl".

And I love the write off that the Rebuild films will be a mess because NGE is a mess. From a plot driven narrative standpoint End of Evangelion wraps up nothing that came before it. But it works. Evangelion as an expression of one artists emotions is a complete mess but it's that mess that makes it so magical. You want clockwork storytelling go watch a Marvel movie. They work for the two hours they're on & then fade from memory until the marketing machine clicks on again & tells you to go see another movie. Or any of those Evangelion knockoffs that come along, deliver a solid story that has a narrative & character interactions that follows a classic storytelling format, delivers the goods & then fades away into being a pleasant empty memory.

Anywho, I don't get people who engage in discussions just to be a Debbie Downer. Seems like a waste of a perfectly good life. So you don't like Rebuild. That's fair. You may find it a mess. That's also fair. Doesn't mean your words mean anything to anyone but yourself. I haven't found the films to be a mess so far & unless Anno really drops the ball I doubt Final is going to be a mess for me either.

So yeah, I won't write your words. But if you ever want to really partake in a conversation instead of just ponderously stating your fact as opinion I'll happily join you.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”