Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:49 pm

View Original PostTheChosenJuan wrote:Yuru-Camp; If you just want to relax, but don't really get inspired to go camping. Camping is bad!
There's a reason why I said that the series was blood-chilling adventure. Of the recent cute girl outdoor activity PSA series, this is the one that hasn't made me wish I could go do that thing -- not even if it meant going with a bunch of cute Japanese girls who would help keep me warm at night.

View Original PostTheChosenJuan wrote:Not even Killing Bites?
The correct suggestion at this point would be Kemono Friends, which is just pure cuteness.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:43 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:The Last: Naruto the Movie
how NaruHina was developed to maturity in this film was a pleasure and an honor to witness.
Your sincere reverence for a Chinese cartoon makes me smile.
Stay positive, Gus.

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Beast Player Erin (Kemono no Sōja Erin).
PS: There's a character who farts a lot...

Take notes, kids. This is how you recommend a show.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:1) I'm surprised, though, that Chaz hasn't picked up Yuru Camp∆ this season.
2) Of the recent cute girl outdoor activity PSA series, this is the one that hasn't made me wish I could go do that thing -- not even if it meant going with a bunch of cute Japanese girls who would help keep me warm at night.

1) Whelp, now I don't have a choice in the matter. Got a week off work, might as well see what this one’s all about.
2) Finally! An excuse to share this.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:47 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:There's a reason why I said that the series was blood-chilling adventure. Of the recent cute girl outdoor activity PSA series, this is the one that hasn't made me wish I could go do that thing -- not even if it meant going with a bunch of cute Japanese girls who would help keep me warm at night.

The correct suggestion at this point would be Kemono Friends, which is just pure cuteness.

Dunno, I'm not really into that much cuteness. Probably grown out of it. When I watched Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid I was rather annoyed by Kanna, or whatever her name was. Just another of the cutie-tropes. I'd rather like either entertainment regarding jokes like Nichijou or good/realistic characters like in The Devil is a Part-Timer.

But I didn't really god the PSA part untill you mentioned it. I saw it more like maybe a marketing gag to sell their merch or maybe get word of the show out. I always thought it was just for comedic effect like the narrator in Okamisan and her Seven Companions.
This is my first geekforum since Coraline, so it better be good here!

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:32 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I quite often just dip into an anime I've watched before, or watch only part of it, finding this is enough to restore my memory of the whole.

I really like doing rewatches myself. Usually I'll take a show that I binge watched and take it slow the second time; average about .95 episodes of it per day. Recent rewatches include:

Kill la Kill, which I was still pretty alright with the second time through. Nonon is one of my favorite anime characters ever, but otherwise the show never did all that much for me. I like the fact that the whole show revolves around clothing, but too much of it I just find boring. Ever since I was a kid I've really hated it in shows when a protagonist turns evil, only to eventually become good again, so maybe that's why I could never really embrace the series. Who the hell knows?

Erased: A couple years ago rober compared the characters heads to peanuts, but the animation style is probably my favorite thing about this show. The second time through was still a fun and enjoyable watch, but knowing how it would end took a little bit of the fun out of it. Plus, I did feel like a bit of an idiot not realizing who the killer was pretty early on in the series. But then again, I'm an office drone, not Rust Cohle. The ideas of camaraderie and courage that are prevalent throughout the show are things I can still get down with, two years on. Also, the OP is still one of the all time greats.

Right now I'm rewatching Psycho Pass S1, basically just so I can watch the film(didn't want to watch it without the first season fresh in my mind). I'm just three episodes in, so I'll just say the main girls character design is awesome.

The shows I'm watchin this season:

Junji Ito: That Grease episode was probably the foulest thing I ever watched, haha. The animation is such hot garbage, but man, I will miss this one when it ends next week. Last nights episode was pretty funny: the first segment was about the Supernatural Transfer Student which had an interesting and fun concept, and then the second segment had this piece of crap Scarecrow story that was beyond pointless.

Darling the Franxx, which is now in its character development arc, which I'm kind of "meh" with. I sort of think I already know the characters well enough, but I guess anime is going to anime(I still love the show though). At least this weeks episode did a pretty good job of world building, though it doesn't seem like much a surprise that this world is one in which emotion is missing. Last weeks episode was like the Leliel battle, so that was pretty cool.

March Comes in Like a Lion, seems to have bitten off more than it can chew; there are too many characters! I can't remember all of their flaws and quirks and I'm losing my mind trying to keep everything straight. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT GIRL THAT Rei LIKED IN THE FIRST SEASON?? Nah, I'm mostly just messing around, this show is still really good. The previous arc's thing with the old guy carrying all of those hopes and aspirations of his generation was really nicely done.

Maerchen Maedchen went on hiatus and ruined my Thursdays. I guess people were bitching and moaning about the animation, but it's not like this show was trying to be super profound or like a shining example of what the animation medium can be. It's about girls fighting each other as literary characters, people. It should be back this coming Thursday, so I'm glad.

Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card I just caught up on and it's really good. Sakura actually uses the cards she captures, if ya can believe that! I liked the animation style more in the original series, but things change. And plus they brought back the "Leave it to Kero" segment so I can't really complain. CLAMP for life.

I also watched Witch Hunter Robin(remember that one?) The dude who directed it directed one of my favs, Ergo Proxy, but I could never really get into this one. I feel like they should have just played this series more straight forward, instead of having these different agencies conspiring against each other for whatever reason. Going into it I never expected Robin to become a bike messenger, so I will give the series that. Try to avoid this one if you can. Watch The Craft or Flying Witch instead if ya wanna get yr witch fix.

Caught up with the first couple seasons of My Hero Academia and really enjoyed it. I could have used less of the main character crying and I wasn't wild about the last arc of the second season(the students v. teachers thing) but otherwise I think this series deserves the hype it gets. All Might is a good dude, for sure. Bakugo is a p.o.s. The series is pretty straightforward on one hand but there's this something pretty profound that I feel is running through it under the surface, though I don't really know what it is. The characters are cool, and it does a good job of playing with your expectations of what super hero stories should be. The half ice, half fire dude is my fav character, and I wish I had his hair. Excited for the third season!
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:51 pm

View Original PostTheChosenJuan wrote:Dunno, I'm not really into that much cuteness. Probably grown out of it.
I can't compare, not having watched any of the titles you mentioned, but where we do overlap, I would definitely class Shimarin and the members of the Outdoors Club as cute girls.

But I didn't really god the PSA part untill you mentioned it. I saw it more like maybe a marketing gag to sell their merch or maybe get word of the show out. I always thought it was just for comedic effect like the narrator in Okamisan and her Seven Companions.
It's not like it's mutually exclusive -- an anime can be advertising for the LN or manga which it adapts, promotion for the place it's set (and even be sponsored by the local authorities thereof) and do some basic public education in the form of easily digestible absolute beginner's guides to the subject matter all at the same time. Yuru Camp∆ is much like Minami Kamikura Girl's High School Cycling Club or Encouragement of Climb before it, where a bunch of cute girls get talked through the basics of an activity and then learn a bit more by doing.

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:2) Finally! An excuse to share this.
It's "ol' dirty bastard", I'll have you know :tongue:
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Megazone 23 Part 1

Watched it for the first time in a long while in Japanese sub. I am in love with Maria Kawamura's dulcet honey voice as Yui Takanaka. And the plot is so much easier to follow with the subtitles, easier to grasp. The character designs by Toshihiro Hirano are great by 80s standards as well as Haruhiko Mikimoto guest designing Eve. I do admit that between the times that i did watch it fully in English and just now in Japanese, i would spend more times than often skipping to the sex scene between Shogo and Yui (even more in part 2 :tongue: ) but if i can mature to not be such a sex addict all the time then it is possible for me to appreciate all aspects of the production (especially the Eve songs).
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:44 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:There's a reason why I said that the series was blood-chilling adventure. Of the recent cute girl outdoor activity PSA series, this is the one that hasn't made me wish I could go do that thing

The show doesn't want to make me go camping either, and I'm not sure if I like it enough to buy the anime or even the original manga, but I am enjoying the show. I know that it is refered to as a "healing" anime, but in my case, I find that it puts me in a comtemplative mood on things from finding the joy in the simple things to the little factoids on cooking and the various camping equipment to figuring out I want to do while I am still alive. So I am getting something out of it.

not even if it meant going with a bunch of cute Japanese girls who would help keep me warm at night.

O--Okay.... :|
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:18 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:O--Okay.... :|
Hypothermia is a serious risk, you know.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:00 pm

People are still bawling over Violet Evergarden Episode 10(and yeah, it's one of the better episodes so far) but I'm sitting here just thinking about unread emails because of Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho episode 12.
The anime isn't over, but this episode was the climax. I'm not a crying mess or anything but I'm close.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:24 am

Laid-Back Camp. So Winter. Very shivers. Much cold. Wow.

A few positives include its very Motown OP.
Anyone who knows me knows I like blue-eyed pinkies in my animays, even if they are dunder-brains who run into windows clearly not meant to act as a point of access.
Setting the events of the show during the colder seasons gives it its own look and feel compared to most other healing titles, such as the previously mentioned Non Non Biyori. The message presumably being: the sun doesn’t always have to be shining to the feel the warm and fuzzies.

That said- the show has probably done a better job of promoting the appeal of car-travel than it has camping:
Much like Tines and Juan, I can’t say I fancy the idea of camping after watching this either. Might as well cook a campsite meal inside a walk-in fridge for all the suffering/reward it gets you.

I can tolerate the cute little fangs design trope, but I’m not a fan of flesh-fangs:
It looks like she’s constantly biting into her top lip. Poor girl will get an ulcer.

Not a bad spiritual sequel to Encouragement of Climb at all. All it's missing is Kana Asumi and a hand-holding, marching ED.

CommieOtaku
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CommieOtaku » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:30 am

Well, I can't wait to finish Citrus. That's a pretty good anime, I'd say. Nice story with people you don't actually wish were dead every episode.
Evangelion made me an otaku. I'm in my hell, all is right with this world!

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:00 am

Little Witch Academia: The plot starts around episode 15, most of the cast is useless, I thought it looked very basic, the story is extremely predictable. 5/10, I still have to find a TRIGGER anime that I really like.

DEVILMAN crybaby: I never watched or read anything from Go Nagai before but this was shockingly good, one of the best anime I've ever watched and surely the best thing I've ever watched on Netflix. The end left a hole inside my heart. The OST is mega.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:39 pm

I've recently begun watching the Japan Animator's Expo, from 2015 (I think it was). I'll try to keep my impressions of each short on their own. (So far, I've seen the first 9, and written impressions on 6)

SPOILER: Show
The Dragon Dentist was cool, and I remembered hearing that nearly all the voices in the shorts were done by Yamadera and Hayashibara, which is impressive.

It was kinda Ghibli-esque, and so that detracted a bit (I don't like Ghibli. Something about their aesthetic... something that, if I remember correctly, Anno described as a lack of 'blood'... can't say what it is), but I liked it.

Hill Climb Girl was extremely disorienting, with its 3d stuff, but that produced an interesting effect, perceptually speaking. So I liked that.

Me!Me!Me! was a lot of fun.

It combined wonderful eroticism (gainaxing, etc.) with horror, and enough yonic symbolism to make me very happy. There was a bit of foreshadowing with the blood coming out of the girl's mouth, as well.

I also was happy to see animate figurines of Asuka, Rei, Misato, Maya, and Mari. Very good, and my favourite so far.

Carnage was cute. Took me a minute to get that the gunman was the girl from the beginning. "Oh, she only has one arm. All you need, really."

I liked the non-sexual nudity (same in the cockroach pubic hair short). I also liked the end, and the doubt whether she was going to kill herself, the blonde girl, or the girl's father. Or all 3.

I also liked the Italian words sprinkled through the subs, and wonder how that was in the original jp.

The Gundam key animation makes sense, considering anno's own preferences. The man loves mechs and Godzilla's, which is a bit interesting. He was raised on this relatively shallow stuff, and has loved it ever since.

And yet, Eva was very much not like that. Even those who dislike Eva will agree it's quite different from your standard Mecha fare.

I suppose it's like what Mel Brooks said about parodies, that in order to make a good parody, you need to love what you're parodying.

Anno's deconstruction of mecha can be likened to a parody, in that both involve taking the source, and twisting it to give something that's just a little off from the original. It's like the original, but at the same time, entirely unlike it.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:43 pm

They must've had a lot of fun repeating the word "freakin" on the ADV dub of SDF Macross because when I saw episodes 2 to 4 today, I heard it repeated quite a lot. :tongue: Also, Minmay is a national treasure no matter the language barrier that comes her way given how nicely Mari Iijima fits into her English dialogue.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:49 pm

Nadesico episode 3

Gai was such a fun character, why did they have to kill him off so early?! :sniffle: And Yurika is such an idiot for not noticing how much Jun REALLY thinks of her. :facepalm:

Gundam: The 08th MS Team episode 12

Such a peeve that Shiro and Aina appear at the end of the episode and don't even say a goddamn word! We've all been worried sick since they disappeared and they don't even grant us a "Hello, nice to see you." And the whole war children plot that is unfortunately stuck through the whole of the episode makes for a really weak finale with Kiki and Michel as the leads. :irked:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:58 pm

I approve of you watching Nadesico.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:22 pm

^ Thanks! ^_^

I'm sure you won't be happy to know I have been continuing my viewing of King's Game The Animation with episode 7. But I figured I started this out of curiosity and I may as well finish the journey no matter how messed up or disgusting it may become. And while the Natsuko banging Teruaki bit at the end didn't freak me out as much as I thought it would, the scene where Riona (I think) murders her family due to the King telling her to lose something important and it turns out she has to murder her dog because her parents weren't enough but she can't go through with it, that's the one to watch out for. I own a Chihuahua and while I love him, I love my parents even more so the way she supposedly killed her parents off without much second thought was really messed up... But that's the way it goes.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:32 pm

I disapprove of you watching Kings Game.

Dragon Ball Super ep 131. The universal tournament finally comes to an end; it was a long arc, but enjoyable. The bump in animation quality for the big finish was appreciated.
No big surprises for the end result, couldn’t have ended any better really… or so I thought, until the end credits started:
I hate VVS  SPOILER: Show
Damn it, Android 17. What are you, 13 years old?
Hold the damn phone sideways.

The Ancient Magus’ Bride ep 23. I think Wit Studio got your message, Mr. Tines. It appears Titania has very much calmed her tits.

Darling in the Franxx ep 10 was an interesting, world-building episode. Reminded me a bit of Logan’s Run- what with the youngster interacting with an effectively alien being that is an old woman; but I’d imagine the writers took more inspiration from Zager and Evans regarding the dehumanised state of the adults’ world.
That has to be scariest song ever written.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:26 pm

The Ancient Magus' Bride.

OK, so now it's finished, what of it? Well, I enjoyed watching it from start to finish. The ending was more satisfactory than I expected, rounding off the immediate issues - while also opening the door for future continuation if that's what people want. (Specifically, Chise's frailty has been dealt with, long-term, but not permanently.) So that's all good. But in the end, I'm marking it down from the A- I had in mind to just B+.

Why? Well, although there weren't any major loose ends lying around, there was considerable inconsistency about what was followed up, and how characters or previous events were used. Take Ruth, for instance - he was made Chise's familiar, but it was very variable to what extent he actually hung around her; and his own powers seemed considerable at some times while at others he was at a loss. Similarly, Ashen Eye seemed at times overwhelmingly powerful, but then he just got stopped when it was necessary. This went along with quite erratic pacing.

And then there was the "Bride" bit.... For me that was an irrelevance, and its use in the ending was more an embarrassment than any sort of fulfillment. Elias isn't human, and Chise is merely inhabiting a (now just mostly) human body (with which, admittedly, she has great sympathy); but the renewal of their relationship as master and apprentice at the end, now that Chise will be able to take the pressure, could have been equally well done as just that - the bridal bit was just, well, actually, for me, cringeworthy.

In terms of building up a magic landscape, and developing skills, Little Witch Academia, for example, did a far for accomplished job (though the nature of the story is very different). But if another season comes along, I would expect to try it, and hope to enjoy it as much - however, there's plenty of scope for them to make it better.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:30 pm

For some reason (maybe just too busy) I haven't yet picked up March comes in like a Lion again following the Olympic break. I must go off and remedy that soonest.

Return to “Anime and Manga”