Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:32 pm

Between last night and this afternoon, I watched the first two episodes of Citrus. The character designs are a bit generic looking especially Yuzu and Mei. Yuzu looks like a lite beer version of Yukana Yame while Mei reminds me of the typical black haired female co-protagonist. But aside from those two little nitpicks, the plot has the right touch of soap opera motions that make tolerable what is regarded by some to be a trashy, controversial love story with the stepsister angle being the hot topic of detraction to those who don't realize hentai has done way worse over the years. :wink:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:12 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Eureka Seven AO: In short, I don't get why this series is supposed to be this uniquely awful thing,
[...]
it doesn't commit vein-popping characterization vandalism like Pocket Full of Rainbows did.

I agree about Pocket Full of Rainbows - but at least that was obviously just a different story. AO on the other hand tried to be a tied-in sequel and made an unholy mess of it, both in completely changing the rules from the original (OK, alternative universe excuse - sort of), but also in changing inconsistently within the show itself. Much of it was very pretty, and after the real Eureka Seven I so wanted to like it - but I just couldn't. It remains one of the few shows I would actively discourage people from bothering with.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:02 am

The Koihime Musou series continue to be trashy fun in a nostalgic vein -- I'm most of the way through Shin now.

As a true nostalgia binge, I dug out the first Dirty Pair Flash OVA, and realised that I have been spoiled by modern anime -- low budget now is likely to look like Kemono Friends, rather than this and its use of traditional anime tics, and quaint hand-drawn computer displays. It still stands up as a comedy-thriller once expectations are recalibrated, though.

While waiting for the next episode of Yuru Camp∆, I've started and am caught up with Toji no Miko. The series may just be an advertising drive for a mobage, but it has competently set up its conflicts and delivers cute quasi-magical girls sword fighting every episode. I say quasi-magical, because unlike the real deal, this series has so far been free of yuri-baiting, despite a cast that has the same gender balance as YuYuYu did.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:14 pm

With Dragon Ball Super ending next month, I've been looking for other things to watch to fill the gap. I binged watched Little Witch Academia a couple weeks ago. So cute and a lot of fun! ^_^

Also picked up One Piece on a friend's suggestion. Just three episodes in right now but I like what I've seen. Gonna be a looong haul on this one. Hozuki's Coolheadedness is another strange series I've started watching. It's pretty good so far but the editing it very jarring sometimes. It cuts from scene to scene to scene without a lot of time to breathe. I hear season 2 really improves on this.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:39 am

I got around to watching Made In Abyss

I will never be able to find animal girls cute again after this show. Why must you insist on twisting everything I love into something Ugly Japan?
Last edited by Ray on Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:44 pm

Watched episode 1 of Darling in the FRANXX a few days ago. Zero Two is weird but the fact that Haruka Tomatsu voices her just adds that much needed spice to the awkwardness in such a scene like her swimming nude while I was hoping that Ichigo didn't show up to make that cliché "PERVERT!" and slap to Hiro for peeping. :tongue:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Dragon Ball Super - Already had to wait an extra week for Ep 129, now we have to wait another two weeks for 130? How cheeky. I love it.

Dagashi Kashi 2 – I would have been content to see Hotaru continue gushing over penny-sweets and learn some historic trivia along the way; but ol’ crazy-eyes has been absent for the last few episodes and the show seems to be developing a… what do you call it... a plot? Sort of.
Surprising.

Overlord 2 - They're going really heavy on the world-building this time. Too heavy. Didn't mind the Lizardmen arc, but I'm skipping through dialogue not involving the Nazarick familiars lately.

Karakai Jozu no Takagi-San – Crunchy couldn’t give this an easier localiszed name?
Middle-school rom-com; the main pair are a painfully adorable double-act; boy tries to deflect or one-up the girl’s teasings, girl always wins.
The pair are at that age where the fear of cooties slowly disappears, the comedy is mostly sweet and innocent, but the show isn’t afraid to acknowledge puberty.
Occasionally we get a skit involving a trio of girlfriends going about daily goings-about, these tend to be the weaker segments of each episode, like unnecessary breathers between the skits we actually want to see.

Enjoyable little show. I look forward to seeing that massive forehead each Monday.

Citrus – Nobody else wants to admit they’re watching this, but I will.
Haven’t seen much in the way of Yuri, so this is a breath of fresh air for me.
Story is being handled pretty sensibly and non-exploitative. The presentation and animation is generally quite good, but unfortunately the typical shoujo comedy-blobs crept in after a while:

Pity, for a moment I could almost forget I was watching a cartoon.

DARLING in the FRANXX – Liking the animation being mostly 2D, no ugly 3D CG mechs. Interested to see where Zero Two Hiro Ichigoes.

One negative is it can be way too subtle with its themes and subtexts, sometimes.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:32 am

A couple of series have passed the three episode test, something old, Natsu no Arashi, which comes over as a plausible sit-com pretty much in despite of the SHAFTisms, and something new, YoriMoi, being cute girls doing cute polar expedition things -- even if the art style is such that the characters look like cardboard cut-outs in lightly filtered photographs.

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Citrus – Nobody else wants to admit they’re watching this, but I will.
If this had come out in the middle of last decade, I would probably have tried a few episodes, but right now I don't feel motivated to face the shoujo drama just for the anime girl tongue wrestling.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:38 am

B: The Beginning: The other less known Netflix(but not really)anime. A action/drama/mystery show divided in two distinct parts: a more slow paced detective show, and an action series with super powers and over the top fights. Unfortunately, despite the attempts at connecting these two stories, I only ever felt they were a connected in any real way a couple of times. I wouldn't say it's like two different shows were joined together into an abomination(as I've seen some say), the tone whiplash between the two isn't that severe, but I do admit it ends up working against this anime more than it helps.
I personally found the detective/cop drama the better of the two parts. The other segment isn't bad, it's just not on the same level.

As far as the music goes, the soundtrack is okay, I've just finished watching the show and remember little of it. The one stand out track is the ending theme.
On the animation, it's what you would expect from production I.G. Polished and good looking. I'm also quite found of the character designs chosen.

In conclusion, it's a good show. I can see that many that have watched it were too annoyed by its flaws to enjoy it, but I still quite liked it despite that.

8/10 for all a numerical score is worth, I keep changing my mind on these things
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:53 pm

I'm watching Violet Evergarden and it's fantastic. It's not a masterpiece, it doesn't need to be. It's just a fairly simple story with touching moments, a great main character and beautiful animations. I'm loving it, it's heartwarming and I needed it.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:54 pm

Today, I watched Berserk: The Golden Arc 1 - The Egg of the King and I must say that I am becoming a Berserk fan more and more. Even saw the Bennett the Sage opinion on it so I could get caught up in the '97 TV show's glory. The animation in the movie version is sometimes beautiful but even the CGI gets a little uncomfortable in some places but it doesn't always distract from the plot and the fact that in terms of victims, it pulled no punches. I mean, Guts killed a little kid near the end without thinking it twice!!! :cringe: Looking forward to the rest of the trilogy and before anyone reminds me, I know that in the previous TV version, Casca was voiced by the one and only Yuko Miyamura aka Asuka Langley Soryu! ^_^

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:41 am

Just a progress report on the two series I'm following seriously.

The Ancient Magus' Bride has decided to get really dark in the latest couple of episodes. And right now Elias is pretty marginalised - it'll be interesting how Chise treats him when she gets through her present experiences (trials? tribulations? It's hard to know how they will end up being seen as she remodels herself). It's intriguing that this remodelling is at the hands of a sorcerer, when earlier in the series we were told how inferior they were to mages.

The latest two episodes of March come in like a Lion have really slowed the already relaxed pace down (though admittedly emphasised by the 3-week pause for the Olympics). I wonder just how long this series is expecting to go on, as there's lots still to do. I expect them at least to take Shimada to the point of a significant win; let alone Kiriyama's progression, along with his rivalry with the chronically ill Nikaidō. And the relationship with the Kawamoto sisters has been left languishing in limbo for some time now. I suppose I'll have to do what I've done elsewhere and turn to the manga.

As for the rubbish, Black Clover has reached such a level of absurdity that I don't think I can even maintain an amused detached interest in it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:52 pm

The Last: Naruto the Movie

Wonderful animation, wonderful characters with the exception of Sasuke who rubbed me the wrong way of being like a "deadbeat" for only showing up when the plot called for him and not to settle affairs with Sakura, but aside from that one of the most beautiful love stories I have ever seen with Naruto and Hinata declaring their love for each other. TBH, this was the first full Naruto project I invested in so before this, I was mostly just content with NaruSaku being the supposed norm between the fanbase but how NaruHina was developed to maturity in this film was a pleasure and an honor to witness.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:02 am

A.I.C.O.: Incarnation: I struggle to find the words to describe this anime. Aside from the basic, I mean. It's an action anime with above average animation. Other than that, what is there?
The characters are basic, I wouldn't call them one dimensional, but there isn't that much done with them. The story has a couple of twist and turns but I wasn't invested enough to care much about any of it. The music has a couple of good moments but it wont wow you.

Really the only stand out moments I can think of is some of the more grotesque imagery on the final episodes and a few of the action scenes. That really is the only reason this anime isn't completely average.

6/10
I wouldn't recommend this one.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Natsu no Arashi up to episode 8 -- Holy mood whiplash, Batman. From chili-powered strawberry surprises to tragic love in wartime to dealing with expiry dates when time-travelling to reverse-trap body-swap gags...

Sora yori mo Tooi Basho up to episode 8 -- at last the girls are en route to Antarctica; but there are enough cryptic mutterings in amongst the adult expedition members about the purpose of the journey to make it plausible that the actual destination is the Forbidden Plateau of Leng, or at least retracing the steps of the Starkweather-Moore expedition to find some buried titan under the ice. If there isn't at least one reference to The Thing, I shall be disappointed.

Encouragement of Camp up to episode 9 -- continues to be a tale of blood-chilling adventure (occasional reviving onsen scene aside).

Toji no Miko up to episode 9 -- the cast has now been assembled, had some back-story revealed, and after finding a temporary refuge are now on the run again. It may just be running to a formula, but at least it delivers a sword-fight each episode, and has accumulated a cast of baddies we can love to hate.

Mahoutsukai no Yome up to episode 14 -- after a burst of enthusiasm to cover a chunk of the backlog, I'm feeling a bit stalled on this one. I think it's a sign of impending plot and bad experiences with same in other initially episodic series.

Apart from the last, it doesn't seem that anyone here is watching any of the airing series I am, proving that my tastes are out in left field somewhere I guess, as they seem to have been for the past year at least (did nobody else watch WaSuYu/YuYuYuS2?). I'm surprised, though, that Chaz hasn't picked up Yuru Camp∆ this season.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Re-watching InuYasha, the show aged quite well considering it's almost 20 years old. The animation can be rough sometimes, but it's not bad at all. The music and humor also aged well. Seeing it again after such a long time makes me wish Viz released it on blu ray with cleaned up visuals to address the "blur" effect that most early 2000s shows suffer from.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:16 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
Apart from the last, it doesn't seem that anyone here is watching any of the airing series I am, proving that my tastes are out in left field somewhere I guess, as they seem to have been for the past year at least (did nobody else watch WaSuYu/YuYuYuS2?). I'm surprised, though, that Chaz hasn't picked up Yuru Camp∆ this season.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I don't mention many of the series I'm watching, even when I do those end of the season mini reviews.
So there could be members here that have watched those shows. I'm seeing the Antarctica show, but I've had nothing to say about it, for example.

Also, I did see YuYuYu, the movies and season two. Aside from me, I don't know.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:11 pm

I quite often just dip into an anime I've watched before, or watch only part of it, finding this is enough to restore my memory of the whole. But for some reason I have just rewatched Beast Player Erin (Kemono no Sōja Erin). I found it stood up to my favourable memories very well.

It's a single story told over four cours (I believe that the story continues in the novels it's based on, but the anime is satisfyingly complete). There are time skips, as Erin's life is followed through childhood with her mother, early teens with a foster father (who essentially adopts her in the end), late teens at school, early adulthood as a teacher, and a brief cameo at the end of her with her child at the age she was at the start of the series. We watch as she develops her love for animals, and later finds ways to look after the dangerous animals called Beast Lords (Ōjū) which allow them to develop in a manner closer to nature than is supposed to be permitted. But this leads to the possibility of using the Ōjū as weapons, which the restrictions were supposed to prevent; and so in the last 40% of the story we see Erin being dragged into politics, and having to struggle with the conflict between her relationship with the beasts and how she is being forced to use them. We see her agonised decisions, and how nearly disaster hits - but in the end she triumphs, and is able to marry and have a child (we are not told who she marries, but it's blindingly obvious, and her child is the very image of the flashbacks to the man's childhood we've seen earlier).

In the end we are shown that any repeat of the legendary pre-historic tragedy which led to the restrictions being conceived was more likely to be caused by humans than by the Ōjū. However, beyond that realisation there is no concentrated message which is the intended take-home of the show - it's just a good story, nicely told.

The pace feels gentle most of the time, but there are places where you realise a lot just happened without it seeming a fuss. The feeling is generally pastoral, but can vary greatly - there is an episode whose entirety is an equivalent of one of Shinji's hell-train scenes, for instance. The art depicting the world of legend is highly stylised in a non-specific somewhat Aztec manner, and when the Ōjū fly, they are shown to shine with a kaleidoscopic light which is very evocative (and when they mate becomes entirely abstract).

There's good music, too, but perhaps the lack of variety in that is a weakness. In 50 episodes there are only two EDs, and the two OPs are the same song with different performers - indeed, in a couple of episodes the OP is sung as an insert song within the episode as well (by the other singer)! The same two or three songs are used as insert songs in many episodes. I didn't mind, but clearly I thought it worth mentioning.

Show, don't tell? If this matters a lot to you, be warned that at the end of each episode, and sometimes within it as well, we are treated to some explanation or exposition by a voice-over. I find this fits the style of the whole just fine, though.

Beast Player Erin is on CrunchyRoll (and the expected download sources). But it's never been dubbed or even released on disk subbed in the West, and the Japanese disks are totally unavailable; the only disk set that can be got is a Malaysian bootleg. It's not an action show (though there's action as the end approaches), so I'm sure a lot of people will have no interest in it. But I rate it very highly, and recommend it.

Erin's "Hell-train" Dream:

The Ōjū's mating flight:

PS: There's a character who farts a lot...

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:38 am

Just finished Angel Beats, which was kind of a mistake, because the last episode can be a real tearjerker. I didn't really expect such a sad ending (that after credits scene doesn't count, that's just teasing) in a show that just had so many goofy moments and very nice music. Even though it didn't made that much sense in the end at all. Well, chronologically speaking.

I also watched Eureka Seven and regreted going into the second attempt of the show and the 'movie' (which felt like what Anno did with Evangelion, except they pulled a full 180 on mostly everything). The show was imo better written than Evangelion, even though it still focused on crybabies and constantly saving it's own Rei. But at least it had real romance!

I also watched Flip Flappers, which felt like a mixture of Sailor Moon, Kill La Kill and an acid trip with a time paradox. But the characters were really cute.

Other more recent recommendations are Karaki Jouzu no Takagi-San, a nice little romance/comedy show. Yuru-Camp; If you just want to relax, but don't really get inspired to go camping. Camping is bad!
Talking about Darling in the Franxx would be pointless, because for me that show has gone nowhere but hype. Every time a new episode airs the rates go up and then down and in my opinion there were just too many different elements from too many studios included. The world building is crap, the lore makes not much sense like it always does, the characters are cliche and the 'monsters' look like they were drawn by a 5-year old. But the blue explosions were nice.
Another must watch is Land of The Lustrous, which at first sight was just like any other CGI anime I knew of (Blue Sub No.6 and Knights Of Sidonia) but in the end was quite the nice experience. It really had good characters, action and writing. It didn't felt too heavy and you could see that it was a product of passion.

Then for movies there was of course Your Name, which still fells like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and is undeserving of the Crunchyroll award in ym eyes, because it came out years ago and it's recent but shadowed successor A Silent Voice.

But of course those are just the anime I would've watched if I could...
This is my first geekforum since Coraline, so it better be good here!

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:40 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I got around to watching Made In Abyss and . . . JESUS CHRIST.

I will never be able to find animal girls cute again after this show. Why must you insist on twisting everything I love into something Ugly Japan?

Not even Killing Bites?
This is my first geekforum since Coraline, so it better be good here!

Return to “Anime and Manga”