Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:41 am

Supposedly, my bf and I are watching Turn A Gundam now, though we haven't watched any episodes in a couple of weeks or so. It was my idea, mostly because it sounded weird and I wanted to see Kanno's soundtrack in context. The setting gives me super Studio Ghibli vibes, like if they made a giant robot show it would totally take place in an 18th or early 19th century Europe/America-type setting -- only the animation would be way better and the mecha designs wouldn't be quite so silly. (The main mech has a mustache and a literal cockpit. That's all I'm going to say about that.) We got up to the episode when Dianna first shows up. I wager we'll keep going soon enough, it's just that we're both so easily distracted.

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:On the other hand, I'm practically indifferent to the second half of the episode. The reason for that seems to be Nia, who I can't stand for whatever reason. Maybe it's the 'naïve innocent' characterization; it just feels trite and overdone to me. Maybe it's the voice she has in the dub (which is otherwise perfectly fine) is just too saccharine-sweet for my tastes. Maybe it's the oddball character design, and how it almost feels like a parody of cutesy, fantasy-fulfilling innocent girls but is being played totally straight. I dunno; something about her just bothers me. We'll see how things go.

I really disliked Nia at first, as well, for similar sorts of reasons. I watched in Japanese, and I would describe the voice quality as being similarly exaggerated -- very sweet, but excessively so. (Though there's also a sort of ethereal frailty that makes it ultimately work.) But, yeah, see how it goes.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:46 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Supposedly, my bf and I are watching Turn A Gundam now, though we haven't watched any episodes in a couple of weeks or so. It was my idea, mostly because it sounded weird and I wanted to see Kanno's soundtrack in context. The setting gives me super Studio Ghibli vibes, like if they made a giant robot show it would totally take place in an 18th or early 19th century Europe/America-type setting

Are you certain that you're not watching Escaflowne? :chinscratch:

If you see a guy twisting his head upside down to receive "visions", or a girl moping in non-committal suicidal thoughts, burn everything.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:36 pm

I'm ba-aack!
So, you might remember how I said that none of the episodes of NTHT really "got under my skin" and lived up to the show's infamous reputation. Well, today that changed. It REALLY changed. With that being said, here's Episode 11:

Sis (the woman in charge of the village) has figured out Lala-Ru's true identity, but allows her to stay at the orphanage anyway. Sara isn't so lucky. We learn that she's now pregnant from the rape she experienced earlier. This shocks and disturbs Sara to such a degree that she heads off to the nearby spring to commit suicide by drowning herself, and when that fails she attempts to abort the fetus by smacking herself in the belly with a rock. She's stopped again, but not before putting up a rather vicious fight, biting Guy on the shoulder and kicking and punching him. Back at the village, the faction bent on assassinating Hamdo claims they have an ultimate weapon that can stop him. The weapon in question turns out to be Lala-ru: they want to use her as a bargaining chip to get Hellywood to surrender Hamdo. Sis stops them from doing this by threatening them with a rocket launcher. Guy decides it's no longer safe at the village and plans to leave with Lala-ru. Meanwhile, the Hellywood soldier who snuck in earlier warns Sara about the incoming attack and asks her to escape with him, but she brushes him off.
Even though she's ultimately stopped, watching Sara attempt to commit suicide and abort her own fetus is NOT pleasant. It's done in a gruesomely realistic manner, and it pretty much sums up the nature of this show, as we'll see in the last couple episodes.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:22 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Are you certain that you're not watching Escaflowne? :chinscratch:

The movie? Yeah... no, this is absolutely nothing like that. Aside from a Kanno soundtrack recorded in Warsaw.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:48 pm

Sat down and watched episodes 10-13 of Gurren Lagann over the last couple of days, and I must admit that I'm actually starting to like the series. As usual, I'll post my thoughts on each episode:

Episode 10

I didn't realize it until now, but I've become quite endeared to the cast of the show. Like I predicted back when the cast suddenly expanded back in episode 7, the masses of supporting characters provide a really tangible sense of camaraderie to Team Dai-Gurren, and it's a hell of a time to see them all bounce off one another in minor interactions, or big scenes like when they all try to save Nia from Adiane. Similarly, I really like the scene where Nia clashes badly with Simon and (especially) Yoko about what happened back in episode 8. There's a lot going on through subtext, and I'm enjoying watching these characters now.

Episode 11

Man, I love the messed up direction Simon's gone down the last few episodes. From having tense interactions with everyone else to locking himself away to make rock effigies of Kamina, he's become one disturbed kid. I love it! Too bad he snaps out of it by the end of the episode, though the build-up and explanation does a pretty good job at justifying it.

Once again, there's a really good use of storyboarding here, particularly in how it makes Guame come off as a disgusting pervert. The script does quite well at getting that across on its own, but it's the fish eye lenses and the sense of him leering in each shot that really conveys it. My hat goes off to Yasuyuki Honda for his great storyboards (he also did the storyboards for Episode 13, which might explain my opinion on that episode as mentioned below).

Also, I love Guame's design. I mean, I love the designs of the Four Divine Generals in general (no pun intended), but Guame's in particular is just great. I really oughta see what else the character designer (Atsushi Nishigori) has worked on, since the character designs have been my consistently favourite part of the show so far.

Episode 12

We're at the beach now, so I'm not surprised that we're getting some fanservice to go along with the sun and sea. I do like how Yoko's swimwear covers more of her than her regular outfit, along with her annoyance at the crew for wanting her to strip down; and the fanservice doesn't overstay its welcome or become horrendously awkward (no shiny plasticine-skin here, thank God!).

I don't have a lot to say beyond this being a fun, silly romp of an episode, though I must admit that Nia is nowhere near as annoying as I thought her to be when she was introduced. Considering I know her backstory, and that she's had more time to integrate into the cast (and get a haircut that I simply adore!), that makes sense. The voice is still a bit too sweet at times, but I'm fine with it most of the time.

Episode 13

Holy shit, this show's actually gotten kind of epic (proper epic, not the 'epic' used to describe mediocre soundtracks by self-satisfied composers)! The fights beforehand always felt small in scale; even when fighting against the Dai-Ganzan, it never felt like anything more than a fairly sizeable skirmish. But in this episode, with bombs being dropped, Gunmen flying around and a whole airborne armada attacking the team, I was legitimately shocked. It's largely thanks to the directing (done by Akitoshi Yokoyama) and the storyboarding (by Honda), which provide a grand scope to the fight unlike anything seen before.

In addition, I like the direction Viral's character goes in this episode; honour-bound warriors, be they good or evil, have always been a character archetype I've liked, and his struggle between defeating his enemy and maintaining his honour influence the choices he makes. Similar to Episode 8, I'm getting a better idea as to why people enjoy this series so much - though in this case, it's more for the spectacle and the grand fights going on than anything else. I was even tempted to keep watching on to the next episode after that cliffhanger; I really was hooked!

---

So, I'm nearly at the halfway point of the series, and I'm a lot more positive about it now. I'm eager to keep watching through to the end of the series, and seeing what happens next. I'm looking forward to it! (Also, this song is pretty dang awesome!)
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:00 am

Re-watching Girls und Panzer since I bought the entire series on Blu-ray. Good Rei the English dub is cringeworthy, I switched it to Japanese with English subs after the first episode because of how wrong all the English VAs sound and how terrible their delivery is. I hope it doesn't reset to English when I take the disc out or power down my PS4. And I don't know if they screwed up the encoding for this release or what, but during the opening scene of the first episode where all the Ooarai tanks are seen for the first time, the framerate goes to shit. You can actually see the individual animation frames it's so janky. This never happened with my fansub versions, so I have no idea what the hell happened.

Right now I have the TV series, the OVA collection, and Durr Film. Sadly Amazon decided to pack the Anzio OVA separately with something else I ordered, so that won't be getting here for another day or two.
[Redacted]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 pm

So, I finished Fafner Exodus, without really getting over the Hirai sameface on a bunch of the core significant characters (which one is this, again?); combined with the fact that I could tell I was missing significant call-backs to S1, it means I probably didn't get as much out of it as I might. Still, it was a decent enough magitech robot show with an ending that wasn't too badly handwaving cod-mysticism -- and left an wide opening for an S3 some day.

The second OP is hella misleading, though -- in retrospect, it looked like another one of them callbacks.

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:So, I'm nearly at the halfway point of the series, and I'm a lot more positive about it now. I'm eager to keep watching through to the end of the series, and seeing what happens next. I'm looking forward to it!
Apart from a short run in the late teens of episodes where it takes a bit of a breather, the game of "Now, top that!" has only just begun.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:42 pm

I'm now on Episode 12 of Now and Then, Here and There.
Guy and Lala-ru hide in a cave from the coming Hellywood invasion, but back in the village the man who wanted to assassinate Hamdo decides that enough is enough and goes FULL REVOLUTIONARY, hanging Sis in the town square for all to see as punishment for hiding Lala-ru's identity. He tries to kidnap Lala-ru again, but this time she uses her water powers to drown him while inadvertently flooding the rest of the village. And then, as if things couldn't get any worse, Hellywood arrives, its tall vertical structure sliding into the wide open chasm of. . . sorry, got a little bit distracted there. Anyway, a bunch of soldiers from Hellywood arrive in Zari-Bars, including that one from Episode 5 and his friend. They see Guy protecting a bunch of kids, and want to kill him. And that's when the shit really hits the fan. Soon the village girl we've seen a couple times before, overhears that one of these soldiers killed her father and tries to shoot him, but the other soldier jumps in front of him and takes the bullet, so he shoots her in retaliation. The he tells Guy to run away and save himself.
Whew. Only one more episode of this show to go.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:21 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:The movie? Yeah... no, this is absolutely nothing like that. Aside from a Kanno soundtrack recorded in Warsaw.

It amazes me that H.R. Giger was on call to help with the designs of Turn A... yet of the two, it was Escaflowne that horrified me.

Side note, in my head-canon, the Ispano builders of the titular Escaflowne are actually the Weaponers of Qward.

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote: And I don't know if they screwed up the encoding for this release or what, but during the opening scene of the first episode where all the Ooarai tanks are seen for the first time, the framerate goes to shit. You can actually see the individual animation frames it's so janky. This never happened with my fansub versions, so I have no idea what the hell happened.

Presumably, it's because the fansub-versions were stored on your hard drive (or buffered in a stream), while reading off a disk in real time can cause delays.
Alternatively, it can be due to a bottle-neck in a low-quality HDMI cable. Or a problem with certain picture settings using too much bandwidth (disable deep color or Switch to 1080i from 1080p?).
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:57 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:It amazes me that H.R. Giger was on call to help with the designs of Turn A...

Syd Mead, not Giger. Also worked on Alien, but a completely different guy.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:06 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Syd Mead, not Giger. Also worked on Alien, but a completely different guy.

From Giger to Mead
The browser has fallen now
To horror I go.

apologies to Basho

robersora
Laissez-faire in Moderation
Laissez-faire in Moderation

•      
  •      

Postby robersora » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:40 pm

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:Sat down and watched episodes 10-13 of Gurren Lagann

It's nice seeing you enjoying this show more and more. I was really enchanted by this show myself, when I first watched it. Please keep updating your impressions!

View Original PostReichu wrote: Turn A Gundam

I made it like 8 Episodes in. In concept this is by far my favorite Gundam of them all. The show also looks amazing. But I just can't get over the Tomino-directing. It really dizzies and annoys me. I'd love to watch a version of this show helmed by anybody else.

After finishing Attack on Titan S2, I've finally watched Little Witch Academia! And man, this show made me very happy.

Little Witch Academia

Even if this show is just a basic story you’ve seen countless times, its near perfect execution made this a joy to watch.
Even if all of the characters are rooted in tropes, all of them feel like real people. I think Galko-chan was the last time I’ve seen such nuanced character writing which transcended the stereotypes the cast basically consists of, in Anime. I loved watching the dynamic interactions of the cast in every scene and the clever transitions between them.
Energy is kept high throughout every Episode aided greatly by amazing animation work, which let most Episodes going by in a flash. Generally the aesthetic is just amazing. The way it looks and moves is so distinct, yet so pleasing. It’s so rare to see a well-written show coupled with such beautiful animation work. Thank you Trigger and Netflix.
I was engaged with the show immediately and by the end I really cared for the cast to an extend that made the drama in later Episodes feel earned. While the first half consists mostly of vignettes, the second half introduces a plot that felt a little bit jarring. But by the end all of the disparate story elements come together beautifully, making me sit there with a grin on my face throughout the last Episode.
This is a show that can be enjoyed regardless of age on a caliber I haven’t seen since Dennou Coil. This show is the culmination of how to get a basic plot I have seen a thousand times perfectly right, but it misses to reach that final awe-inspiring stroke of fresh genius or emotionally deeply gripping effect to make me feel like this would be one of my top-favorite shows. Then again, is was just SO.MUCH.FUN. SO.MUCH.POSITIVE.ENERGY.
Almost a 10/10
Trigger keeps on saving anime.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Final episode of NTHT.
We start off where we left off in the last one, with Zari-Bars taken over by Hellywood. Hamdo orders Lala-ru to use her water powers to refuel the flying fortress, but of course she refuses. Meanwhile, that soldier kid from earlier talks to one of his friends about how he was under the impression he'd get to go home once the war was over. His friend tells him he was tricked, then shoots him. Meanwhile, Sis (who's still alive for some reason) tells Sara not to reject her child. Then she dies too. So then Guy and Sara free all the children of Zari-Bars from an underground prison, and they lead a daring escape. Lala-Ru uses her water powers to explode the flying vessel, which sort of goes against the whole "killing is bad" moral that's been hammered into our heads for the whole show, but whatever. Fortunately, Hamdo is one of the ones who dies, and his second-in-command is promoted to leader of the new society, despite, you know, helping carry out all his atrocities. Lala-Ru vanishes because of some jazz about her "using up her powers", and Guy gets sent back to his own time.
Cue "I Survived A Post-Apocalyptic Society And All I Got Was This Lousy T-shirt" jokes.

So, my take on the series as a whole? It's not bad, and I definitely recommend it. One of my only issues is that the villain is a bit too cartoonish (yes, I know the show technically is a cartoon, so shut up) to take seriously. That wouldn't be an issue at all if it weren't for the fact that the show is meant to address serious real-world issues. Hamdo is meant to represent real-life dictators, but in reality, dictators aren't as blatantly evil as he is. They rely more on seduction and propaganda than fear to keep their citizens in check. It's also pretty much the only anime where I would have appreciated more filler episodes, not less. Because of its limited format, we never really get a chance to explore the world that Shu (the real name of the character I've just been calling Guy in my recaps) finds himself in. The only exception is Episode 8, with the plant monster. But are there other communities of people out there? Other beings like Lala-ru? We know she isn't human, but what is she and where did she come from? But then again, maybe a full answer to everything would have ruined the show.

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:04 pm

Ended up watching episodes 14-17 of Gurren Lagann today (mostly, though I'll explain that in a bit). Before I get into my thoughts on each episode, I'd like to say that I'm really getting into the show now, to the point where I honestly considered binge-watching as much of the show as I could until I go to bed. I also figured out why I felt so apathetic towards the series at the beginning:

I'd heard Gurren Lagann was a reconstruction of mecha anime, so I figured that in order to effectively reconstruct classic tropes, it would deconstruct them first. In other words, I was expecting every other character or plot point to have some kind of subversion not too far off, and when that didn't happen (because that's not how this show rolls), I was disappointed. But now that I understand that it's just going to be an unrepentantly ludicrous show with not a single drop of irony in sight, I'm more invested in the show.

Episode 14

In hindsight, I'm somewhat iffy on this episode. Maybe it's because we just had an aerial battle in the previous episode (not to mention that it was done SO much better in that episode), but I just felt like this one was re-treading old water. The idea of combining aerial and on-foot battles is a good one, but there wasn't enough ground action to make it work. Admittedly, I was amused by the millions of wrinkles growing on Cytomander's face as the battle wore on, and tons of Gunmen battleships coming in to aid Team Dai-Gurren was insane and awesome to behold, but I'm just not a fan of this episode.

Episode 15

I think I'll start this one with my first reaction to the episode:

"Hey, we're cutting straight to the episode instead of playing the intro, and holy crap, that distant shot of Teppelin crumbling in front of Team Dai-Gurren is awe-inspiring!"

And the rest of the episode carried on as such. Just 20 minutes of ridiculous, passionate spectacle that would have served very well as the finale to any other show. In fact, if not for the Spiral King's warning (and knowing that there's another 12 episodes to go), you could be fooled into thinking that this was the finale for Gurren Lagann itself! Thankfully not, but it is really cool to see the show fake us out like that.

On a less praiseworthy note, the storyboarding quality was rather inconsistent; sometimes, you'd get a really good shot (like Gurren Lagann turning to face the gigantic Gunmen), but it was overall pretty mediocre compared to the best storyboards seen in previous episodes. When I checked the credits and found that FOUR people had done the storyboards (compared to the usual one per episode), it's not surprising that some sections were better than others.

Episode 16

I'll admit that I pretty much skipped over this one, since it was a recap episode and much of the series is still fresh in my mind. I briefly looked at the credits sequence to see some of the concept art produced for the series (some pretty cool stuff in there, like alternate character designs, drafts for certain scenes, etc.), but that's about it.

Episode 17

Aside from what happened in Episode 8, the time skip was the only other thing I'd heard of long before watching Gurren Lagann, so I was curious to see what exactly was going to change. What I got was a pleasant, even gripping, surprise that might have just made me more interested in the series. I like how most of the adult cast have only minor differences in design, while it's the teens and kids who've gotten major revamps. I'm a bit iffy on Simon and Nia's new character designs (I'm gonna miss Nia's short haircut!), but Gimmy and Darry's designs are pretty cool and hot damn, I love Rossiu's new look!

In general, I'm really into the direction they're taking Rossiu; as someone who wants to do the right thing, but going about it in the worst possible way (much like his father, as the show implies when Simon calls him out for dragging underground humans back into Kamina City). I can't wait to see where he goes next! As well as that, I like how the show simply shows how things have changed in the world and between certain cast members through their actions, as opposed to telling us via narration or whatnot.

On a side note, I like how the soundtrack is changed to hint at how different things are. The intro uses Sorairo Days' second verse now, instead of its first. The eyecatches now have "Row Row Fight The Power!" vocals on them. And aside from Viral's theme, I didn't hear any of the songs used in the previous 16 episodes (as far as I know, though I'll admit that I'm not that fond of the show's soundtrack, apart from one or two songs). It's a small thing, but I appreciate the effort.

---

And so, we begin getting into the final ten episodes of the show. My opinion of the series has improved immensely, and I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing what happens from here on out!
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:36 am

View Original PostMuscleRobo wrote:GDGD Fairies

If you’re a Sega fan, you might also like Sega Hard Girls / Hi-sCoool! SeHa Girls. Similar presentation and silliness to GDGD.

View Original Postrobersora wrote:I've watched Koe no Katachi.
From what I've heard, the adaptation thankfully toned [the melodrama] down significantly.

I won’t start a mango vs animay discussion. I hate those. I’ll just say that as a page-to-screen adaptation goes, this was… fine. Just dull. Why tone down melodrama? Amp it up I say!

I was surprised to see the face-crosses actually appear in the film. I mean- covering up adorable kyo-ani faces? That must be blasphemy to some people.

Hearing “my generation” at the start made me chuckle. For a moment I thought the movie was telling me “this is 1960’s Japan”. I imagine the story took place closer to the year 2000, but I suppose the Limp Bizkit version of the song would have been a little inappropriate.

========

Season wrapping up, a few things have ended:

Tsukigakirei – Apparently there are no spaces in the title according to Crunchy.
Middle-school romance between two shy teens. Expect plenty of awkward glances, shared silences and no surprises whatsoever. Incredibly vanilla, but in that precious sort of way. Some of the post-credit skits were amusing.
Inoffensive, casual viewing.

Love Tyrant – An enjoyable harem comedy that managed to occasionally be funny.
Despite the show’s best efforts, I don’t think stab-happy Akane Hiyami is likely to replace Yuno Gasai as the poster girl for yanderes.
It was nice seeing some exotic weaponry in the form of Kukri for a change. Katanas are so old hat…

Alice & Zoroku – No tragic ending. Disappointing. The resolution of the final episode was lacklustre, whilst it was funny seeing an old man scold a plane of reality, the crisis essentially just solved itself. Lots of potential here not realised.

Kenka Bancho Otome: Girl Beats Boys – Much like DanMachi: Sword Oratoria, the real enjoyment one gets from this show is from its comments section. Even as late as the final episode people still seem surprised by the 5-minute episode length of the show.
Some people really are hopeless. Bless them.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:53 am

Seikaisuru Kado

Oh man. That ending is ~soo~ anime it hurts. -o-;

But it's a good show while it runs though; it tries far harder to be actual sci-fi than most, and makes rather spectacular (and counter-intuitive) displays of higher-dimension concepts. I'll definitely be practicing my wam now (if my oragami is pwerfect enoogh, i can haz infinite energies? ~AWESOME!!!!~)

While the main character is pretty much a Marty Stu, character interactions between him, zaShunina and Tsukai (when she's not busy being the tsundere) are pretty great.

Even his Mom was good, though it's a shame we only saw her talk once. I thought her words would end up foreshadowing somet--- Oh wait, they did.

****. Totally not what I was thinking; I thought it'd be a homage of sorts to Childhood's End. Instead, we get Perfect Insider-esce shenanigans.

Ma ikka. I don't regret watching, I enjoyed myself until those last 10 minutes or so. What I can't say the same for is:

ID-0

I don't hate it, but this series is a waste of time. It's like 30% exposition, and I never bought into the central conflict as the show had terrible world building. I never felt the high stakes they were suggesting, save for the few moments we see a planet being attacked, provoking the same pathos as the Halo Reach trailer.

I watched for the cgi-anime look I know from shows like Freedom Seven and Knights of Sidonia; novelty essentially. I do like Ido's design, and the main red-haired girl is cute. But almost nothing they did was interesting, save for the moment I thought the show was going to pull a Real Drive on me, and have the teenager looking to date the 50-year-old ( it doesn't happen Professor, forget it.)

I would have given the series a pass had it just delved a little more into the space-mining economy it insists underpins human existence in space, but at best the viewer is just offered things in passing, and nothing seems terribly well thought-out. The robots ride around on Lobo-space bikes while they mine (and other stuff). Fun, but not terribly engaging for me.

I do have a soft spot for the ending theme though. It's 90's adult contemporary engrish trying to be uplifting. Sometimes I love the ridiculous world we live in.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:30 am

Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon

Woahoah momma, something to watch at the end of a day after building gunpla and listening tirelessly to 80's/90's pop that reminds me of things that aren't now.

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:44 am

I'm halfway done with Serial Experiments Lain. I must admit, the start has been quite confusing and hard to interpret... Something to be expected from an Avant-garde work.
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:59 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:I'll definitely be practicing my wam now (if my oragami is perfect enough, i can haz infinite energies? ~AWESOME!!!!~)

Didn't you notice that the Wam stopped working in the ending (and the other artefacts as well)?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:50 am

The season is over but its two best shows aren't over

Shingeki no Bahamut has been my favourite anime of the season so far. It's a lighthearted fantasy/action series based on some shitty phone game. Maybe because it's based on such a bland thing, MAPPA has apparently been able to have some creative freedom with the property.
The animation and general look of the show is rock solid, but the main thing that carries this show for me are the characters. The main group of protagonists is great. The Favaro/Kaisar duo alone could sell me on this show.
It's interesting to note that this season has made the first one(Genesis) look like a large prologue. The show feels more epic, in a way. Definitely one of the best sequels I've seen in some time.

RE Creators
: If you can get over the extensive dialogue scenes, this show has a lot to offer. The premise alone is strong enough to carry a great deal of the show by itself, but the interesting character interactions are what makes me come back.

LWA was fun. I felt the ending was underwhelming, but the other episodes were solid enough for me to ignore that. I don't like it nearly as much as other people, but it was good. 8/10

Other than that, there were a couple of not so good but still enjoyable anime this season:

Busou shoujo machiavellianism is a show about pretty girls beating and getting beat up by the protagonist in martial arts duels and lusting after the protagonist soon after. I enjoyed it but would recommend it to almost no one.

Eromanga Sensei: I kept watching for the 12 year old girls. That said, screw this NBR trash. Despite all the shit many people give anime for having incest, the fact is I can count in one hand the number of anime that actually treat it in any kind of serious manner. Not like I just want serious character dramas about that, I'd be fine with more lighthearted stuff, but it seems I have to go watch porn if I want that.

Well, that last bit had nothing to do with anything.
I hope this seasons Made in Abyss is good. /a/ has been treating that one like the second coming of Christ for some time now.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Return to “Anime and Manga”