Was 1.11 screened for the Academy in 2007?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

Was 1.11 screened for the Academy in 2007?

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:10 pm

I want to know if I should be mad at the Academy for not nominating 1.11, or Funimation for not bothering to screen it. Surely, it could've taken the place of Surf's Up.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Was 1.11 screened for the Academy in 2007?

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:50 pm

Not an absolute one of the Evangelion films were ever screen for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, who organize the Oscars. Not Death & Rebirth, not End of Evangelion, and not Jo, Ha, nor Q.

However, Funimation didn't even obtain the rights for US distribution of Evangelion until about 2009, and released Evangelion 1.01: You Are (Not) Alone on November 17th of that year. The extended 1.11 version of the film was later released by Funimation on March 9th, 2010. All of these were way too late in the game for Funimation to have any control over it being nominated for any American award during 2007.

Evangelion Jo had both of its North American premieres all in the fall of 2009, which was the same year of its Japanese premiere. If Studio Khara were aiming for a nomination from the Academy that year, it would have been through these avenues. But Funimation didn't have anything to do with Eva Jo until it obtained the rights to distribute Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance to theaters in January of 2011, and on DVD/Blu-ray on March 29th that same year. Again, it was way too late in the game for Funi to effect how Eva 2.0 was screened for or received by the Academy.

Eva Q was released in Japan in the year 2012, and Funimation didn't announce anything with its release until 2014, screened it for a few theaters, and then ultimately didn't release anything to home video until the year 2016. There seems to have been no attempt by Studio Khara to screen their film in the States any sooner than that.

Basically, if you wanna get mad at someone for not screening Eva for the Academy then get mad at Anno.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:13 pm

Ah.

What I find interesting is that Madoka Magica: Rebellion was screened for the Academy, even though it makes no sense unless you've seen either all 12 episodes of the TV series or the two previous films.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:16 am

According to some sources many of the voters in the Academy don't even watch the nominees before voting, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:28 pm

I don't know if it was, but why are we talking about the Rebuilds when we're questioning if EoE ever got PAST the academy. Sure, it wouldn't get animated feature since it didn't exist yet...but then again, we've got Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay!
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”