Does SEELE needed a pilot in unit 01 or just unit 01?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
TraxXavier
Lilith

Does SEELE needed a pilot in unit 01 or just unit 01?

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:24 pm

I'm wondering if it was part of SEELEs plan to give control over the process to whomever sat inside unit 01 or if the third impact would also work without a pilot inside unit 01.
I mean of the later than it would beam that a soulless dummy plug system would control the exact outcome if the operation. Was that what they intended? That would be kind of bizarre to let something without a soul hold the fait of all man kind in its hands.
Evangelion x Earth Final Conflict crossover FanFic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia
Discussion thread: thread/17927/Deus-est-Nadia/?f=28

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Does SEELE needed a pilot in unit 01 or juts unit 01?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:21 pm

Given precedent elsewhere, I honestly have to wonder if Seele would be able to accomplish anything without someone playing the role of "trigger". Perhaps their initial plan was to destroy Nerv's personnel, confiscate the Evas and Lilith, and put off Third Impact until they (Seele) could be physically present. Once it became clear they didn't have that luxury, they just went along with the idea of using Shinji, assuming he could be psychologically plied into yielding the results they desired.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Does SEELE needed a pilot in unit 01 or just unit 01?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:30 pm

The details of SEELE's plan (even the distinctions between what they intended and Gendo was after) are only cryptically hinted at. I'd have to trawl the scripts again to be certain, but I got the impression that EVA-01's entire role in the process from their side was an improvisation, however central it might have been for Gendo.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Gendo getting rid of the Spear of Longinus somehow prevented Seele from using Lilith, hence using Lilith's backup instead. Why is Eva-01 usable without the original Spear but not Lilith? I dunno, lol.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:59 pm

This scene from Secret of Evangelion is the only Instrumentality scenario I've seen that mostly aligns with Seele's vague objectives:
SPOILER: Show

Lance of Longinus, Lilith, no Unit 01, and no gods created. Still a little short on Evas by the looks of things.

Seele wasn't happy with what Unit 01 became, but I wonder if they might have encouraged Kaworu to approach Shinji as part of a contingency?
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:49 am

Previous rounds of discussion have suggested that their intent was to completely break Shinji, so he would be inert during the process of Instrumentality.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:59 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Previous rounds of discussion have suggested that their intent was to completely break Shinji, so he would be inert during the process of Instrumentality.

Not quite.

All (chanting):
Evangelion Unit 01's pilot...
Complement humankind with your imperfect ego.

Soon after:

AOBA:
Psychograph signal down!

HYUGA:
Destrudo materializing!

FUYUTSUKI:
Surely the pilot's ego can't take much more...

And then...
AOBA:
Solenoid graph inverting! Ego barrier weakening!

HYUGA:
A.T. Field shifting to Pattern Red!

Shinji is anything but an "inert" component. The release of his destrudo is an integral part of triggering HIP.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:02 am

He is entirely passive, rather than acting with any initiative of his own, up until the final point where he decides to crash the system.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:58 pm

You said "inert during the process of Instrumentality", which is distinct from just being "passive" and lacking agency. He's a very active and integral component, despite his participation not really being volitional. You also suggested that this has something to do with Seele's intent, when it was actually Yui's decision to deny Shinji the driver's seat from the get-go.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Does SEELE needed a pilot in unit 01 or just unit 01?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:33 am

Yes, the whole Instrumentality that we saw was a general clusterfuck as everyone's plans were subverted by Rei and by Yui. And perhaps "inert" was too strong a word.

On reflection, given the instructions given to the JSSDF forces, it would seem that Shinji was not necessary to SEELE's back-up plans -- so possibly a successful assault would have ended with a Kaworu dummy plug for EVA-01. It has been the various Kaworu/ep24 threads that have suggested that it was expected that he would at least be broken at that point to the point where he would not interfere.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”