Panini to re-edit Evangelion Manga in Mexico

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Panini to re-edit Evangelion Manga in Mexico

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:34 pm

So, the Publishing house Panini has been launching manga after manga in the past year and a half or so, and now (finally) the Neon Genesis Evangelion Manga is being re-released in Mexico!

Brief reminder for those not living here, the Evangelion manga was being published by the Mexican publishing house Editorial Vid until its demise around 2011. The company was disbanded after losing many important licences (such as DC and Marvel) and left many manga series incomplete.
The never managed to publish the entirety of the series, halting at volume 10 (at the Reiquirium scene)...

Panini will beging publishing from volume 1 monthly starting July 2016. Given current pricing trends each volume should sell at around 90 pesos (or 4.5 USD)
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Panini to re-edit Evangelion Manga in Mexico

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:28 am

So, first volume came out today...

At first I was surprised that it was a bit cheaper than the last volumes edited my Vid years ago...
The first thing I noticed is that now autorship lists both Yoshiyuki Sadamoto and Khara instead of Gainax like the Vid volumes did.

It does not have the color illustrations of the first few pages and the paper seems thinner without being cheap, print quality is good.
As for translation, all the sound effects were edited out and replaced with artsy "broooooms" and "whooosssh" and the like, without disrupting the drawing on the back (in Vid's editions, the SFXs were translated on the side of the frame). All Japanese text is translated on its respective position (sometimes it looks off, as it does not have perspective).
I notice the use of subscripts in "N2 Mines" and "A10 Nerves", something nice to see. Most interesting is the use of Japanese particles in the text, e.g.: "Shinji-kun" and "Misato-san". Fonts also change between dialogue (a Comic Sans style) and thoughts (a sans serif font that looks like Arial).
AT Field is properly translated this time in tiny note (Vid translated it as "Atomic Time" :facepalm: )
The "stage #" of every chapter is translated as "etapa #", correct but I liked "stage" better...

Overall it seems OK... Now to wait a year to complete the series again ^_^

NONAME
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NONAME » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:46 am

OMG! I must have it. Panini is love. :love:

But I have read some complaints recently, saying that the quality of their manga has gotten a bit worse and more expensive. Is it really true?
Morning... The start of today... The start of an unpleasant day... I don't like it.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:35 pm

To be honest I don't know...
The per-volume cost depends on license costs and popularity of the series.
They obviously cut down costs by eliminating the color pages at the begining. Given inflation and overall quality of the paper used, I'd say it's OK.
As for declining quality I really don't know, it's the first time I buy a manga from this company. I have read that sometimes a volume pops out a few milimeters larger or smaller than the others but that is as far as I can tell... I'll update when I buy the second volume to see if anything odd happens...

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:34 am

Evangelion Volume 2 Review

As with Volume one, the color pages are present, but printed in grayscale and in the same paper as the other pagers (it's a shame, 'cuz the Sadamoto artworks is really good in the later volumes).
No typos. Print quality OK. The covering of Japanese texts with translated ones seems better than in last volume (specially noticeable in stages 8 and 11, where you can read Misato's notes on Shinji).
There are a couple of translator's notes at the border of the frames (for example, one that describes what "takoyaki" is).
Also, some elements written in english in the original are left un-translated in the spanish text (for example, progressive knife).
In Stage 12 (in most translations I've read) Ritsuko suggests that them could resource to brainwash Shinji to pilot the Eva; in the translation I have she says they could do "psychological conditioning"... Maybe it's only me, but was she of all characters toned down or is it the ocassional ambiguity of Japanese languaje to blame?

Anyways, I'll let you know when I have Volume 3...

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”