What is the difference between the agenda of SEELE, Gendo, and the Angels?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Splendid
Embryo

What is the difference between the agenda of SEELE, Gendo, and the Angels?

•      
  •      

Postby Splendid » Sun May 29, 2016 7:05 am

I watched Evangelion in high school and recently rewatched all of it again. I think I understand it, but there's still one thing I don't quite understand: don't the Angels, Gendo, and SEELE ALL want to initiate Third Impact? Is the only difference how they want to do it? Does it have to do with the Dead Sea Scrolls? If anyone has some insight on this please try to help me understand.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: What is the difference between the agenda of SEELE, Gendo, and the Angels?

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun May 29, 2016 8:04 am

The biggest difference is their desired outcome. Some of the Angels wish to merge with Lilith to reset all life on the planet. They were the intended inheritors of Earth before Lilith showed up. The Angels aren't a unified faction, though, and they each act independently with their own agendas. Leliel, Arael and Armisael make mental contact with the Lilin and try to find out what makes them tick. Gaghiel and some of the others were trying to get Adam back, and according to the Classified Information, some of them had no particular goal in mind and were just existing.

Seele believe that humanity has come to an evolutionary dead end, and their goal is to tear down the AT Fields of all humans so that their souls may unite and fill in each others' imperfections. They will use the Evangelions as an ark so that humanity may become a single perfected and eternal being. There's a lot of debate over how they were going to accomplish this since they say that the creation of a god (Unit 01) is a blasphemy that should not have occurred, but then the Adam/Lilith hybrid being ends up doing more or less what they wanted anyway.

Gendo wants to fuse the embryonic Adam with Lilith via Rei and use their god-like power to merge with Unit 01 so that he can be with Yui again.

The Third Impact that happened in The End of Evangelion was a mish-mash of Gendo and Seele's plans that went off the rails when Rei rejected Gendo, took control of the Mass Production Eva series and gave the choice to Shinji.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Javik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:44 am

So didn't SEELE essentialy ahieve their goal?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:20 am

Yes - but then Shinji (as empowered by Rei) chose to reverse the process, enabling people to come back to a world of individual conflict, love, and pain rather than staying in Seele's perfect but featureless eternity. It's said that anyone can choose to return, but that implies that some (e.g. Seele, one presumes) can choose not to. Meanwhile Yui says "I got myself this nice Evangelion; and as you're doing OK now, son, I'll be off to explore the universe in it - Byeee!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Javik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:53 am

Seems like a win-win situation, plus SEELE gets to change their mind if they so decide.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:16 am

Seele were definitely the losers, since their singular being dream existence was destroyed and ATFs brought back. The only thing people get a choice about is whether or not they're going to live again.

BlueBasilisk, only Eva-01 was the "ark" destined to receive souls. This is mentioned in dialogue twice, plus Seele punch those ghetto Gates of Guf through her palms.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”