Confirmed: Microsoft developing slim XB1, and more powerful XB1

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Confirmed: Microsoft developing slim XB1, and more powerful XB1

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed May 25, 2016 7:46 pm

Gen 8 just keeps getting more and more interesting. Earlier today Kotaku announced a new rumor, that Microsoft is developing a slim XBox One to release later this year, as well as a more powerful XBox One to release in 2017. Later today, Polygon corroborated the rumor and added some new info. Here's the full article from Gematsu:

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/rumor-smalle ... x-one-2017

The slim X1 will apparently have a 2TB hard drive right out of the box. Microsoft, I loathe you as a company, but even I have to give you kudos for including an actually decent-sized hard drive. Also for making a slim model in the first place, because let's face it, X1 NEEDS a slim version. :lol:

The more powerful X1, apparently codenamed Scorpio, will have a more powerful GPU and Oculus Rift support. Microsoft is reported to be pursuing a partnership with the makers of the Rift. In addition, the Scorpio will be capable of supporting 4K resolution.

Some more interesting tidbits:

Microsoft is reportedly also moving toward an iterative approach for their consoles. Instead of one hardware revision every five years or so, the company is planning a more incremental model, with more frequent hardware releases and games that are both forwards and backwards compatible across both Windows 10 and different Xbox models.

The current Xbox One is believed to operate a peak target of 1.32 teraflops, compared to the 1.84 teraflop performance of PlayStation 4. The 2017-due Xbox One is said to have a performance target of 6 teraflops, while the rumored PlayStation 4 upgrade, code-named “Neo,” is said to run at 4.14 teraflops.

All of that said, “universal compatibility” is said to be a core principle for the new system, which is currently being designed to support all Xbox One software.

If all of this is true, I think it's safe to say that the 8th gen has just turned into the Cold Console War. We cannot afford a teraflop gap! :lol:
Last edited by IronEvangelion on Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Redacted]

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Re: Rumor: Microsoft developing slim XB1, and more powerful XB1

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:14 am

I am way, way behind on the new-gen console stuff. Two weeks before this announcement I got an Xbox One. So, of course this had to happen. It's OK, though, because it'll take me forever to get through the games, anyway. That's what having a kid will do to you, people. Your time for games/anime is drastically reduced.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:24 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:That's what having a kid will do to you, people. Your time for games/anime is drastically reduced.

On the bright side, when the kid grows up, you'll have an extra person to play with!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:47 pm

Good point :)
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:46 pm

Brik, please don't name your child Player Two. -o-;
[Redacted]

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:47 am

Child One and Child Two, or Thing One and Thing Two (reading Dr. Seuss a lot lately), or Player One and Player Two? They all sound good to me.
Awesomely Shitty

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:28 pm

I hate how after I have an Xbox one, they announce all of this.

Maybe much later down the line I will get a more powerful one, or a slim one. It depends if my sister decides to take the one we own to college with her.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:23 pm

Well the Scorpio is now all but confirmed, since the X1 slim leaked today. Pictures included:

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/xbox-one-s-slim-model-leaked

Damn, X1 went on a diet and lost about half of itself! And it does have a 2TB hard drive. Looks pretty slick, actually. Now if only it had more than 6 exclusives that interest me, it seems like every time it gets another exclusive I want the game either goes multi-console (World of Tanks, Rise of the Tomb Raider), ends up having a goofy art style I don't like (Sea of Thieves) or gets shut down (Project Spark).
[Redacted]

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:44 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Now if only it had more than 6 exclusives that interest me, it seems like every time it gets another exclusive I want the game either goes multi-console (World of Tanks, Rise of the Tomb Raider)

That's something to rejoice, not bemoan. Would that every game that exists be playable on any platform that could physically run it. Exclusivity (in this context) is an illusion of value; in truth, other people having the same game does nothing to diminish your own experience, unless you go out of your way to make it so with a self-fulfilling prophecy. If I were buying the console for its exclusives and would not have bought it otherwise, I'd question if I were buying it for the right reason.

Consoles are there to be sturdy, reliable machines that you know aren't going to bluescreen on you because of a conflict between your graphics driver and your figgledywhoop horkenspork. I own some games on more than one platform, not intentionally but rather because I bought them first on console and then on PC because I considered the latter superior (and no viable PC release existed when I bought the former), and sometimes that "superior" PC version doesn't work out so well for some reason or another (why did you fuck up Steam RE5 so hard Capcom) and I find myself glad to know I can always go back to the console version and it will just work.

Of course as consoles become ever more locked down, walled in, and dependent on proprietary services, the idea that you will maintain functional ownership of a console game and its content long-term becomes a further and further stretch (if my PS3 dies after the PSN support for it drops will I lose my patches and DLC forever?), but that's at least how it works in theory.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:11 pm

Both the X1 slim and Project Scorpio are now official. Scorpio will reportedly be the most powerful console ever built, with 6 teraflops of power.

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/microsoft-an ... ct-scorpio

When it ships next year, Project Scorpio will be our most powerful console ever built, specifically to lead the industry into a future in which true 4K gaming and high-fidelity VR are the standard, not an exception.

Project Scorpio will be the first console with 6 teraflops of power, which will empower the world’s greatest game creators to fully embrace true 4K gaming without sacrificing quality, generate premier VR experiences, without sacrificing performance, and putting greater graphic fidelity in the hands of the world’s best game creators.

Microsoft also confirmed that they are going to be releasing new consoles more frequently than the old 5-year generation plan, and that universal game compatibility across all current-gen and future XBox consoles is one of their primary goals. It will be interesting to see how Sony responds to this.
[Redacted]

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Confirmed: Microsoft developing slim XB1, and more powerful XB1

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:09 pm

Looks like universal game compatibility isn't the only thing Scorpio is going to have. MS is also striving for universal controller compatibility from now on.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-e ... n=homepage

It's this point that Xbox head of operations Dave McCarthy is particularly excited to talk about when we met for an interview at E3 this week.

"I think the really important thing for people to understand is the nut we've tried to crack here is ensuring we hit hardware innovation at the same time we ensure compatibility," he explained. "That term of an upgrade is gone. We are wiping out those generational boundaries. As a gamer, it's pretty cool. Because then I know the games I buy and play today and the controllers I use today are going to work on that machine of tomorrow. And that's the real major step-change."

Neat. Also, they must be almost finished developing Scorpio since they considered releasing it this year.
[Redacted]

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”