"Regrets"

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

"Regrets"

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat May 21, 2016 9:31 am

This is an idea which I had as a result of Reichu's suggestion to Ray that he should write his own "bad end" for Rebuild. Really, it is no more than a place-holder to prompt me to think about continuing, now that I have the possibility of timetabling space for writing following my retirement. The idea is that the story will continue as an examination of the thoughts of the rest of the characters on what has happened and the things that led up to this point, both recent and long ago. Whether or not it develops any plot will depend on how those thoughts come together.

Regrets - Prologue  SPOILER: Show
Regrets

Chapter 0 - Prologue

The walk through the red wilderness had been hard. But now they were in a place where rescue was possible, and a craft had arrived to pick them up and return them to the Wunder. They stood together, waiting as a group of guards approached them to take Shinji and the Ayanami series pilot into custody. Shinji's head hung down, and Asuka had to hold him steady to prevent him collapsing again. Rei, if we may call her that, stood to one side, awaiting her fate impassively. Suddenly, unexpectedly, two shots rang out. Shinji collapsed to the ground, blood spurting from two wounds. There was a scramble as the other guards restrained the one who had fired the shots. Asuka had been knocked off her balance by his fall, but when she steadied herself and reached Shinji again his blood had stopped spurting; it was too late to do anything for him. He said no last words.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: "Regrets"

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 21, 2016 1:17 pm

Well, that was fast! Do you intend to extend the prologue into a more developed form if you take the story further?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat May 21, 2016 2:02 pm

I don't think so; it's intended to be brutally abrupt, as this will affect how the cast views the event, so I don't think any more surrounding detail is useful. The idea is to examine the various other characters' views of Shinji, and how his part in their lives reflects on their view of the world in various respects; they think about themselves as well as him, in other words. But I did, while walking the dogs (my prime time for developing ideas) think about Shinji's last thoughts as he dies - obviously not "his whole life flashes before his eyes", but an idea of what one might be able to think in ten seconds when not wasting time on verbalising it (and the last thought would not be of Kaworu, as my silly little one-shot had it be) - so that might be a way to ease us into the longer self-examinations.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Sat May 21, 2016 2:23 pm

I like it. Really hope you continue. Doing plot in a post 3.0 world is wierd, mostly because of how much we're missing in regards to everyone's end goals and how they intend to achieve them. You could easily keep this a story central to the Wunder, like finding out who the killer was (assuming they weren't immediately caught). Maybe it's the start of dissidents in the fleet deciding Misato is no longer fit for command. Plenty of wiggle room.

More importantly, I like the prospect of the Eva cast having to sort through their feelings towards Shinji.
Last edited by Glor on Sat May 21, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat May 21, 2016 3:09 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:But I did, while walking the dogs (my prime time for developing ideas) think about Shinji's last thoughts as he dies - obviously not "his whole life flashes before his eyes", but an idea of what one might be able to think in ten seconds when not wasting time on verbalising it (and the last thought would not be of Kaworu, as my silly little one-shot had it be) - so that might be a way to ease us into the longer self-examinations.

Hopefully, those said last thoughts aren't going to be along the lines of "At least now, I did something right with my life", cause that would be depressing enough as it is.

And, I'm fine with this story as well, as I was fine with "Victory". I'm interested to see how the rest of the cast, at least in your eyes, reacts to Shinji's death.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sat May 21, 2016 4:07 pm

Whoa that is a brutal ending, definitely interested in seeing more if you choose to continue this.

Return to “Fanfiction”