Do we HAVE to hate AWL?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:13 am

I hate gendo in the Japanese but anyway >.> [I saw the first episode (only) in english and it was soo good (especialy gendos and fuyutsukis voice) and then I heard his voice on the Japanese and said "wtf?! crap.."]the phrase IS comfusing, but like I said before, it's cooler.
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:54 am

Tachiki's performance is that of Gendo as Gendo was intended -- that is the real character. The other is Gendo in name only, the product of questionable voice direction and an inaccurate, misguiding script. MacAvery doesn't have the right voice for the part, either.

The dub's Fuyutsuki is a lackluster adaptation of the original character, as well.

There could theoretically be a respectable English adaptation of NGE, but no such thing has yet been accomplished.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:04 am

Reichu wrote:There could theoretically be a respectable English adaptation of NGE, but no such thing has yet been accomplished.

Ooooh. It makes me tingle with delight.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:37 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Ooooh. It makes me tingle with delight.

Actually, I would be rather fascinated by the prospects of such an undertaking. Spearheads who are intimately familiar with the show, its controversies and ambiguities, and know what they are doing. The assembly of a proper cast. The creation of a script that is both natural and accurate as possible. A voice direction that immerses itself in all of the emotion and subtle nuances of the original.

An English adaptation made with love and care, that would satisfy demand for a dub in a very respectable way. That would be neat.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:41 am

Reichu wrote:An English adaptation made with love and care, that would satisfy demand for a dub in a very respectable way. That would be neat.

It's an interesting prospect, but it's not one that I would choose to nurture.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:52 am

Is a professionally done fandub a possibility?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:30 am

Szmitten wrote:Is a professionally done fandub a possibility?

That sounds like a bit of an oxymoron. Are you asking if it's a possibility for someone to produce a professional quality fan dub?

I would say that the vast majority of people in the anime industry just went from being amateurs to being good at what they do within the specific niche through experience.

Most of these ADR directors don't have degrees in performing arts, they just liked anime and brought it over, and had to fill the economic need, so they did ADR work themselves rather than spend the money on someone else. And they got "good" at what they do. But its my observation that the complaints that some/many people have are in regards to the fact that many of these people don't have the theory or arts education backing them.

Now, you put together an amateur that understands the nuances of performance and characters, and team that person up with an amateur that knows how to record/mix audio, and you're good to go.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

I hope I'm not repeating myself >_<

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:19 pm

Yeah, the dub sucks, but, hell, MOST dubs, espeically those shown on tv, suck. This is partly the reason I watch my anime subbed, but I think we should at least be thankful Eva didn't end up as one of those shows which were butchered (read: editing) beyond hell and included a dumbed-down dub. (*cough* I'm looking at *you*, DIC! :evil: They totally fucked up Sailormoon.... :roll: As did ADV with their Season 1 & 2 boxset releases... )

And, yes, just listening to the final scene of EoE with the commentary on made me realize AWL doesn't know what she's talking about. There's no "I" in Japanese?! O_o; I mean, WTF. I took Japanese for two quarters (almost a year's worth) and that's a VERY basic thing you learn: that there ARE words for I, but Japanese is a language where you can trim down what you're saying if it's obvious that you're the speaker, etc. (Case in point: Asuka's kimochi warui. One thing that DOES get kind of tricky, but shouldn't be so hard if you have a grasp on it (for instance, my stepbrother who took seven years of it), is translating things exactly because of all the little naucanes and or the fact that you can translate some things in different ways. Yet again, case in point: Kimochi warui.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:08 am

Reichu wrote:Tachiki's performance is that of Gendo as Gendo was intended -- that is the real character. The other is Gendo in name only, the product of questionable voice direction and an inaccurate, misguiding script. MacAvery doesn't have the right voice for the part, either.

still cooler.
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:46 am

Six Winged Angel wrote:still cooler.

Just splendid.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

KhakiBlueThunderSocks
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby KhakiBlueThunderSocks » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:02 pm

Well, I'm not going to be picky and I'm not going to slam AWL because I think that, under the circumstances she did a great job and I'm leaving it at that.
"Going to church no more makes you a christian than standing in your garage makes you a car."
- Garrison Keillor

Derek
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Derek » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:30 pm

Oh really?
Derek, I shall rule over the Eva world, And take command over Gendo! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:42 am

KhakiBlueThunderSocks wrote:Well, I'm not going to be picky and I'm not going to slam AWL because I think that, under the circumstances she did a great job and I'm leaving it at that.

Such sentiments! This is the true reason why babies cry at night.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

InvaderRen
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby InvaderRen » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:03 pm

1 victory of the dub:

After the Hospital Scene in the sub, he says "I'm the lowest of the low"
in the dub, he says "I'm so ****ed up", which i feel, told volumes more of Shinji altered mental state...

my $0.02

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:27 pm

He literally DOES say that he's the lowest, i.e., he's hit rock bottom. "Saitei da, ore 'tte..." Saitei is also sometimes translated as "sucks" -- "<subject> suck(s)!"

"Fucked up"... The only thing that comes to mind is mechakucha, but that's the wrong sense of "fucked up".

Kono uta chotto baka
Wake ga wakaranai
Eigo ga mechakucha
Daijoubu! We do it all the time!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

felineki
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby felineki » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:24 pm

Is that from the song in that one anime-spoofing South Park episode? I'm almost certain I heard the "Kono uta chotto baka" line in that somewhere.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:34 pm

felineki wrote:Is that from the song in that one anime-spoofing South Park episode? I'm almost certain I heard the "Kono uta chotto baka" line in that somewhere.

Indeed it is.

Hah, and a Japanese page about the episode and song!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:02 pm

Episode: Good times with Weapons.
"Hey-hey let's go kikansuru! taisetsu no mono protect my balls!
boku ga warui so let's fighting! Let's fighting love! Let's fighting love!" (Sigh...poor Butters. >_<)
kono uta chotto baka= this song is a little stupid.
The wonders of Southpark. ^_^ (and the fact that Trey(? maybe it was Matt) knows some Japanese. XD)

Um...anyway. What I find interesting about "Saitei da, ore 'tte" is it's the only time Shinji uses "ore". Apprantely that's his "fucked up" (pun intended) way of showing he's growing up, according to what I read at least.
So, Reichu: literal meaning of kimochi warui? Or is my sig on the money with that?

Random idoicy: ウンチを埋めている猫のようにめちゃくちゃ
as busy as a cat burying shit〈卑〉

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:48 pm

How about Chinpokomon? Someone there obviously speaks it.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:57 pm

As Mecha-Streisand. ;) (...Unless they got a friend to do that.)
That's what I was saying, either Matt or Trey knows some, I don't remember WHO though.

chinpoko=small dick. *giggles like a schoolgirl* Ahhh....that's why shows like Ebichu and Excel Saga work for me. :)

Anyways, carry on!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”