LCL Breathing. (And Fetuses)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Tetsuo
Embryo

LCL Breathing. (And Fetuses)

•      
  •      

Postby Tetsuo » Mon May 09, 2016 5:53 pm

So I was thinking today about Fetuses. How they breath in the womb and hold fluid in their mouths and then exhale it. This sort of reminded me of how the pilots breath when they are in the entry plugs. How they breath in the LCL and it fills their lungs but it allows them to breath. The only reason I found this interesting was due to the power cord connected to the Eva's which they called the umbilical cord. I'm not entirely sure if this had any meaningful connection but I thought it was interesting and thought I should put it out there for you people. I just found the 2 baby fetus references kinda interesting.
AM: Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: LCL Breathing. (And Fetuses)

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon May 09, 2016 6:31 pm

Let's not forget that the Evas are inhabited by the souls of the pilot's mothers.

The womb imagery is very much there. :freud:
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 09, 2016 11:00 pm

The pilot goes into a hole on the Eva's back via a long, cylindrical object to make contact with a large spheroid. The large spheroid is itself filled with LCL. One of the pilots eventually has his vital essence pass into the spheroid, and he emerges from it: newly formed, naked, and lying in a puddle of fluid.

Not much of a surprise that Anno spoke about just cutting to the chase and having the pilots get implanted in the Evas' actual uteruses in the EoE sequel that never happened.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tetsuo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tetsuo » Fri May 13, 2016 1:13 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The pilot goes into a hole on the Eva's back via a long, cylindrical object to make contact with a large spheroid. The large spheroid is itself filled with LCL. One of the pilots eventually has his vital essence pass into the spheroid, and he emerges from it: newly formed, naked, and lying in a puddle of fluid.

Not much of a surprise that Anno spoke about just cutting to the chase and having the pilots get implanted in the Evas' actual uteruses in the EoE sequel that never happened.

The Phallic symbolism is real
AM: Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

IAmBestGirl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby IAmBestGirl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:00 pm

Eva has a lot of emphasis on mothers so Fetal breathing being just like LCL breathing isn't too much of a stretch
So, is she still so... wild in bed?

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:13 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:in the EoE sequel that never happened.

Wait, what?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:14 pm

Do a search in Everything Else for "Anno titan bridge" and you should get the thread.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:11 pm

View Original PostTetsuo wrote:So I was thinking today about Fetuses. How they breath in the womb and hold fluid in their mouths and then exhale it. This sort of reminded me of how the pilots breath when they are in the entry plugs.

I always took for granted it was meant to be amniotic fluid. It's actually been 'bloodenized' more and more recently now the angels seem to explode in blood-lcl where it used to be orange tab. Evageeks may have to retire the word 'Tang' entirely.

LCL is kinda real though. It appears in the movie abyss where a pet rat lives in the breathable liquid.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:59 pm

IIRC, LCL in its electrolysed form is essentially "liquid air" in some ways. It has the same density of air but the physical properties of aliquid. How this works I don't know, but it's interesting.

What's more interesting (IMO) is the long-term health effects of having ones lungs constantly filled with liquid. Shit canb't be good for ya.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:34 pm

I don't think it's having fluid in the lungs that is the problem -- cf. fetal development -- but rather having to repeatedly retch up two lungs' worth of LCL. This is just one of those things you're expected not to think about. Though I suppose if one wanted a workaround, perhaps the pilots are trained to empty their lungs prior to the LCL returning to its dense, translucent state. (Assuming electrification causes a sort of pseudoscientific phase shift in the substance.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:01 pm

Fetuses don't breath, the lungs are inert, they receive oxygenated blood from the umbilical chord.

Liquid breathing is possible if you ever looked around for it.
A lung full of a oxygen-rich liquid compound could oxygenate the whole body for hours before actually needing to swap the liquid. The problem is that removing the liquid is extremely painful and cannot be done by contracting the Thoracic diaphragm. A practical liquid breathing could be achieved by introducing tubes inside the lungs that would replenish the oxygen inside the liquid without needing to recycle the contents of the lung.

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:IIRC, LCL in its electrolysed form is essentially "liquid air" in some ways. It has the same density of air but the physical properties of aliquid. How this works I don't know, but it's interesting.

That is not really correct. Ionizing a liquid doesn't change its state, there is no visible phase between different types of gases but we see bubbles around the LCL when the Evas shake hard. Also, gases are, by definition, a fluid just like a liquid. so "air with the physical properties of a liquid" doesn't make sense.
-----------------------------------------------------
Re-watching Eva since 1999
-----------------------------------------------------

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”