Comic Books!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Re: Comic Books!

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat May 12, 2018 3:25 am

Superman #45: Got my stack for the past fortnight so getting caught up on my DC stuff. Last issue of Tomasi and Gleason's run, and it's great; warm, heartfelt and a thoughtful nod/look back on the past 40 or so issues. I loved the visual of Lois carrying the Kents postbox from the Hamilton farm around, not really wanting to let go. In fact, the whole issue is rife with meta-commentary from Tomasi and Gleason, also not wanting to let go but accepting that "change is inevitable" and even use of Robert Frost's "Nothing gold can stay", the two foremost themes of the issue. If it wasn't already apparent before, the duo have been moved from the book so Bendis can come in and take over the entire line. At least they got to end their run on their own terms and in their own style, befitting of the series.

"Isn't that... illegal?"  SPOILER: Show

End.  SPOILER: Show

It's sad Tomasi and Gleason won't be able to continue their story, but to be honest, this series hasn't really been good or consistent post-Superman Reborn. Bizarroverse was the best arc since Black Dawn; a lot of the issues between them were fill-ins from other writers and artists, and I can only recall liking the Sinestro/Parallax two-parter, and the James Robinson penned Suicide Planet.

I don't get why for the past eight months or more, the series was written/compiled by these kind of stand-in stories and content. Maybe Tomasi and Gleason ran out of steam. Maybe not, as I saw someone else speculate that editorial may have done it intentionally to give more limelight to Jurgen's Oz Effect story over in Action Comics, which was running in parallel.

Regardless, I'm going to miss this period of Superman, the township of Hamilton, its fare, the school, the farm, Kathy and Maya (hopefully we will keep seeing them in Supersons) and that evil alien cow that produces mind control juices (which is also now the receptacle of Manchester Black) :nyao:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:26 am

New analysis from Rikdad on the latest Doomsday Clock issue: http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2018/06/doom ... ock-5.html

Always love reading this guy's thoughts, he always manages to make me see an issue or story in a new light and appreciation. I highly recommend his posts on Final Crisis and Multiversity as well; massive love, insight and knowledge into the DCU.
Warren Peace, #643919

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Grant Morrison confirmed for Green Lantern from November: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/19 ... iam-sharp/
Warren Peace, #643919

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:31 am

Just recently read the first issue of Injustice vs Masters of the Universe. It is so good. I really enjoyed the batman/ninja turtle crossover but whole idea works since they're all just ninjas but prince adam meeting up with the justice league? AMAZING.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:54 pm

Blue Monday wrote:Grant Morrison confirmed for Green Lantern from November: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/19 ... iam-sharp/

This sounds like it could be pretty cool, like it could be a True Detective- esque take on old GL. Reminds me a bit of the political stuff they were doing with Green Arrow and Green Lantern back in the 70s. As I've said before, my comics days are mostly dead and gone, but maybe I'll check out the tpb in a couple years.

Just hope they don't do a Hal origin story...we got too many!
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:16 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Grant Morrison confirmed for Green Lantern from November: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07/19 ... iam-sharp/

Not my first choice for placement of Sharp who I love but I'm down.

Not happy about KSD taking over Aquaman.

Are you reading Bendis's Superman?
I'm still way behind but I read a few pages from the first issue and his characterization of Martian Manhunter (my 3rd fav comic character) deeply pissed me off.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:46 pm

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:Just hope they don't do a Hal origin story...

Nah, I doubt it. Morrison doesn't do much ongoing stuff these days, and he wouldn't have taken the job unless he has a good story or something he really wants to do. Given that, we'll probably also get something DC cosmology defining alongside this beat cop/detective take. I'm keen.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Not my first choice for placement of Sharp who I love but I'm down.

Not mine either. Actually, I find his art to be real hit-or-miss. I'd put it down to how much time he takes for himself because you can tell when it's been rushed with this guy. His stint on Wonder Woman is a perfect example.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Not happy about KSD taking over Aquaman.

Yeah, not too happy either; I really really liked what Abnett has been doing, especially since we've had such great art for the past year or more with both Stjepan Šejić and Riccardo Federici. It's been a personal favourite.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Are you reading Bendis's Superman?

I'm a couple weeks behind, but yes; I've been reading his Man of Steel mini. I will get back to you once I've finished it and maybe read the first few issues of his Superman and Action Comics. What I can say is that I've been pleasantly surprised so far. I swore to myself a couple years back I'd never read another Bendis comic, but so far he's written a pretty good Clark with some clever ideas, interesting story beats and near-god level powers (which is something DC has seemed to shy away from in recent years).

:emogendo:
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:46 am

New 12 issue Martian Manhunter series announced written by Steve Orlando.
Mixed on it. Very happy the character is getting used here & in the current Justice League series but not a fan of the artist & the solicitation says he was currupt as fuck as a cop back on Mars before the extermination (???) and the writer plans to tell his TRUE origins which we just went through a revamp of in the previous DcYou series, it's a maxi series so I don't know if it's in continuity with the new 52/rebirth timeline or not.
That being said it's clear the book will focus on his noir detective leanings which is good at least.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:45 am

I'm not usually the biggest fan of Mark Miller's work, mostly due to his dark and edgy bullshit, but I loved the shit out of Superior and Jupiter's Circle. I think Jupiter's Legacy is fucking shit, but the prequel is fucking beautiful. And Superior is one of the nicest contributions to the Superman homages that I have seen, right up there with Alan Moore's Supreme.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:47 am

I've just recently checked out the new IDW series of Sonic comics, and I liked it a lot more than I expected to. I've been hesitant since the Archie series was so beloved to me, but if you liked those I'd definitely not give these a miss. There's potential, for sure.
I do love me some Rei guns.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:05 am

Dang, thread was dead for all of 2019.

What are you guys reading currently/recently?

I am fairly burnt out on modern comics. I am trying to go back and read some older obscure stuff.
I started Doctor Zero it's intriguing but weird. Zero is pushing the limits of being a anti hero and going into Ozymandias (watchmen) territory.

Halfway through Mark Millar's Empress, it's solidly good. None of the childish edge of say Nemesis or Kickass.

Also EDIT...
Fantastic 4 fans take note, the next big Marvel event will heavily involve them after they have been mostly absent for a few years.
SPOILER: Show

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:58 pm

Covid comic casualties are starting to arrive.

Marvel canceled 22 tie in issues to their event Empyre including Thor, Squadron Supreme & Union mini series all of which I was far far more excited for than the main event itself. The Thor mini would see the return of artist Pasqual Ferry who previously did solid Thor work on Fraction's run.
Covers...
SPOILER: Show

After 30 years, Dark Horse is loosing the Alien & Predator comic publishing rights to Marvel/Disney. effective Jan1 2021 resulting in DH not having time to publish their mini series adaptations of the original screenplays for Alien (79) and Predator (1987), Andi Owens, 1 of the artist for the Predator mini confirmed it's canceled despite 3 issues already being fucking done. They previously released a series for Alien 3 (the cold war script not the wood planet one)
https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2020/02/19/da ... ic-series/
https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2020/01/16/da ... creenplay/

So yeah I am fairly pissed at all that. :raincloud:

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:52 am

Well, it was inevitable they were going to lose those rights anyway-- it's not like Disney was going to let them keep them.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:32 am

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/07/marvel-comics-now-owns-the-alien-and-predator-rights/

So Marvel now owns this I and don't know how to feel....I though Dark horse was doing an okay job like they weren't as good as the 90's/early 2000's runs, but still solid and still very bloody and hard core (If I was to poke at an issue their LGBT needs work though this was reflected in the new films as well) but I'm now not digging a bunch of boring tone-deaf crossovers with the Avengers with little to no blood.

I have no idea who has the movie rights, this is comic rights only.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:32 am

Disney does. They got them along with the rest of Fox.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:42 am

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:Disney does. They got them along with the rest of Fox.

I have heard predators original creator was still in legal battles over the rights, he was fighting fox for them before the merger and I'm not sure if it's still going on with Disney. Also I do no want Marvel making Predator or Alien movies because they are notorious in the movies for washing issues down for the viewing audience and AVP is just something you can not water down, your water it down you ruin what makes it great, which is r rated violence, illegal science issues questionable morals and people being shitty over profits and Wayland constantly trying to experiment on aliens and trying to steal predator technology.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:05 pm

They won't be releasing them through Marvel. Disney has rebranded 20th Century Fox as 20th Century Pictures, and this will be their new outlet for R-rated films.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:55 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:They won't be releasing them through Marvel. Disney has rebranded 20th Century Fox as 20th Century Pictures, and this will be their new outlet for R-rated films.

Thank you for this I was unaware of this detail.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:22 pm

Even before that, Disney has never had an issue relating R rated films. IIRC they used Miramax for that.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:49 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:Well, it was inevitable they were going to lose those rights anyway-- it's not like Disney was going to let them keep them.

Of course, my main issue is just the canceling of those 2 series. I really like the idea of adapting unmade movies into comics or doing sequels to older films.

Another example: A pitch was made years back to do comic sequels to Batman 89 & Batman Returns and Dc said no - :irked:
http://joequinones.blogspot.com/2016/03/batman-89.html

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I though Dark horse was doing an okay job like they weren't as good as the 90's/early 2000's runs, but still solid and still very bloody and hard core

Have you read the Fire & Stone crossovers? I have been meaning to, the art in the Prometheus mini was fantastic. Artist Juan Ferreyra would go on to work on Suicide Squad & Green Arrow for Dc.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”