Comic Books!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Comic Books!

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:27 am

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:03 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Well he is a God what did you expect? If Zeus couldn't keep it in his pants what makes you think Thor could?

( seriously though this makes me glad I haven't picked up a Marvel comic book in a while).

I can't find confirmation if this was canon before hand or not, one guy said they both cheated.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I quit reading all Marvel when One More Day happened and now I'm utterly confused as to what's going on.

I will rundown the main points of note...
SPOILER: Show
- Secret War (bendis) - Nick Fury leaves Shield, Maria Hill takes over.
- Avengers - Disassembled/House of M - Scarlet Witch looses her shit makes it so no more mutants can be born & de-mutates 95% of the world's mutants.
- Civil War - Cap gets killed, Bucky replaces Cap, Tony takes over shield & the main public Avengers, Norman Osborn leads Thunderbolts.
- Secret Invasion - Skrulls invade hardcore, Osborn kills the skrull qween.
- Dark Reign - Osborn given control of Shield while the government decides Tony's culpability in the Invasion, Tony erases his mind to hide the identities of all the heroes who signed up for registration from Osborn, his mind is restored to a state pre-civil war, Steve returns to life both him & Buck are cap at the same time.
- Siege - Osborn looses it, invades & fucks up Asgard, is defeated.
- Heroic age - Steve leads Shield & joins Tony's Illuminati grudgingly to keep the rest of them in line.
- Avengers: The Children's crusade - Scarlet Witch is restored to sanity.
- Fear Itself - Bucky appears to be killed but goes back to being Winter Soldier, Steve becomes Cap again. Thor is killed, replaced very briefly by the troll Ulik posing as the celtic thunder god Tanarus.
- Avengers vs X-Men - Cyclops goes full revolution, willing to risk the end of the world so that the Phoenix force can make mutants start being born again.
- Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers/Avengers World/Infinity - The Avengers go big scale. The Illuminati discover incursions that will destroy 2 universes including their own if their earth flows across the dimensional space of another earth, this can be avoided by destroying one of the 2 earths, this keeps happening over and over. Tony's Illuminati wipe Steve's memory when he won't tolerate discussion of planet destroying. When the time comes, Namor kills the world of the Great Society (a justice league/squadron supreme stand in).
- Steve is trapped in Zola's Dimension Z for 25 years raising a son while only a couple minutes go by in the main universe.
- Steve is de-aged by a Mandarin type villain the Iron Nail. Falcon becomes Cap.
- All New X-Men - Beast brings the original young X-Men forward in time to get old Revolutiony Cyclops to get his shit together.
- Original Sin - Nick Fury is revealed to be a galactic assassin, kills the Watcher as the Watcher witnessed him murdering the living Tribunal (I think, my mind is fuzzy on that point), makes Thor Unworthy and is cursed to replace the Watcher as the Unseen, Bucky replaces him as the galactic assassin.
- Jane Foster becomes female Thor.
- Wolverine dies, encased in Andimantum.
- Axis - Tony's morality is removed & later him & de-aged Steve go to War basically.
- Secret Wars (hickman) - The final incursion happens killing the original main Marvel universe (and suposedly all other universes including the Ultimate universe)
- Doom becomes god and creates a patchwork world to rule over.
- This gets undone & the Fantastic 4 family replace him as god and a new Marvel universe picks up 8 months after they left off before Secret Wars.
- Civil War 2 - Captain Marvel & Tony go to war over minority reporting, Banner is killed by Hawkeye. War Machine is killed by Thanos. Tony is put in a coma.
- Death of X/X-men vs Inhumans - Inhumans released their terrigen mist across the world when their home was destroyed by Thanos in Infinity, the mist births new Inhumans but kills Mutants. Old Cyclops is killed.
- Steve given his youth back, but both himself & possibly history itself is altered by the living cosmic cube Kobik making Steve Hydra from when he was a little kid.
- Secret Empire - Hydra Steve ruling America.

that is about were we are now.

EDIT - About One More Day
That has not been undone in the Main Marvel universe, right now Peter owns some big corporation and is being Tony Stark-lite.
But we do have the Renew Your Vows ongoing book in another universe were OMD never happened with Peter, Mary Jane & their kid being a spider-family of crime fighters.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:03 am

About Ten years after it was initially announced, the prequel to Frank Miller's 300, Xerxes: Fall Of The House Of Darius. Is finally going to come out. . .

http://ew.com/books/2017/07/07/frank-mi ... irst-look/
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:12 pm

the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:44 pm

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:17 pm

I think I've argued extensively in the past about-devillainzing the current "continuity" Batman and moving away from that element on films (since Batman in movies is either hilariously camp gay or mentally ill) in favor of a two-fisted pulp hero action scientist, but I'm really interested in this take since the author/artist clearly has something more to say than "lol Batman beats the poors".

This is interesting: According to the back cover for the Harley Quinn cartoon, the next DC animated film will be Gotham by Gaslight.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:54 pm

DC Rebirth is coming to a close in a BIG way.

Personally? I don't really want this to happen to this particular character, but I'll be damned if I'm not at least morbidly curiously to see what they do with it.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Space Jesus talking to an Alien God, imma gonna like this. Though I'm pissed they turned him into a villain.

It's f****** pathetic how DC are quick to demonize the dark and gritty when it stops making them money, but then they create the dark and gritty once again to make profit. They're a bunch of cunts.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Who's writing it? If it's not Grant Morrison that's a terrible shame.
the prophecy is true

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:38 pm

Morrison said he was retiring, a while back. I think he still is retired.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:11 pm

Well that's a terrible shame.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:09 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Who's writing it? If it's not Grant Morrison that's a terrible shame.

Geoff Johns is.
Read the Pax Americana issue of Multiversity by Morrison. It's a post 911 take on Watchmen & was extremely well received.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:09 pm

http://www.screengeek.net/2017/09/02/ma ... n-trouble/

This article was recently posted on screen Geeks saying that the comics division of Marvel make be getting in some hot water with its Disney overlords.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:32 pm

I normally don't post in this thread, as I don't have a great knowledge about comic books in general. Yet, there is something I want to comment on. Archie Comics is issuing old Marvel titles in digest format. The first issue they released was Spiderman while the second will be the Avengers. For the price of two comic books, the reader gets eleven stories that cut a cross section of the fanchise in the past few decades. Reading the ones from the 60s and 70s, I can see why the company was king of the hill at that time. My favorite part was the narrative blocks that addressed the reader directly. I found that charming as it made reading the comic sort of an interactive affair, that they made it seem that the reader is in on the whole thing. They ranged from references to events in previous issues to introducing two opponents as fighters entering the ring to a blurb after an action scene thanking the reader for allowing the scene so they did not have to write more dialogue. A couple of the more recent issues did that too, but only on the first page, and I thought was a shame. As far as the more recent issues, they were hit or miss for me. The stories were okay, if a bit childish is the best word for I can think of, but the art on some of them was bad in my opinion. Yet in all honesty, I did enjoy the book. Can't wait for the next one, if there is a next one.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:21 pm

Geoff Johns gives you a look into the world Of Doomsday Clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P43KG8DeECs

Personally I'm not looking forward to them incorporating The Watchmen characters into the DC Universe but I'll be damned if I'm not curious to see what they do with it.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:49 am

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:14 am

What’s wrong with that?
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:30 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:What’s wrong with that?

I was exaggerating a little for me personally, I like his Avengers run more then most people.
But Bendis has become the universally hated front in center asshole of comics along side Dan Slott.
God awful "hip" or street dialogue for almost all characters, ignores continuity, he has this irrational hater boner for the Scarlet Witch, endless pages of talking heads saying all of jack shit in regards to the plot or character.

And most recently his origin for Riri Williams the current replacement Iron Man, has a black female character literally demanding to be oppressed.

Like if Blue Monday was here he would be sharpening pitchforks.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:17 pm

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:46 pm

All I really remember about him is that I found his "decompressed storytelling" in USM to be tedious and boring sometimes.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”