Comic Books!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Comic Books!

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:05 pm

New Defenders series with the Netflix line up.
http://www.cbr.com/marvel-announces-new ... s-marquez/

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:28 am

Oh shit, Dc pulled someone out of the furthest archives for a shock reveal in New Super-Man (the asian superman they announced in rebirth)
SPOILER: Show

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:08 pm

^I have to admit, I never thought I'd see Asian Superman fighting Fu Manchu.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Only Gene Yang could get away with this. Ever read American Born Chinese?
Last edited by Ray on Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Is that actually Fu Manchu or an expy? I thought the original character was controlled by the author's estate still.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:58 pm

According to the Public Domain Superhero Wiki.

All of Fu Manchu's pre-1923 books are in the public domain as well as the Avon comic "The Mask of Dr. Fu Manchu" in the United States. All post-1923 works are copyrighted by Rohmer's estate and the name is trademarked by the same. Writers such as Alan Moore (League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen) have gotten around this by calling Dr. Fu Manchu by another name or not mentioning his name.

Basically, Books featuring the Fu Manchu character are in the public domain and can be published by anyone. But the character himself is still under Copyright. Similar to the situation Conan The Barbarian is currently in. You can publish and make money off the original text, but if you want to publish a comic or a new story featuring the character you're going to be facing a lawsuit.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:02 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Is that actually Fu Manchu or an expy? I thought the original character was controlled by the author's estate still.

Nope, I have found these names in regards to the character in Detective #1. Sen Yoi / Fui Onyui / Ching Lung
A CBR article was using the last name.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:39 pm

Chuck Dixon & Graham Nolan are returning to DC for a 12 issue series Bane - Conquest.
http://www.cbr.com/exclusive-chuck-dixo ... dc-comics/

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:52 am

Jim Starlin & Alan Davis teaming for a Guardians of the Galaxy relaunch. (this cover is really not Davis's best work)

Alex Ross teased with a gorgeous poster something called "Generations".

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:24 pm

http://m.break.com/article/alan-moore-and-grant-morrison-occult-war-for-25-years-3080666

Chuckman, is this your doing? :tongue:

Also that generations poster just highlights the intentional (and badly failing) strategy of SJW-izing Marvel. All white men must go!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:50 pm

^to be fair, Marvel (and more specifically Nick Spencer) have said they're going to be downplaying those aspects in the future due to declining sales.

[EDITED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:59 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Also that generations poster just highlights the intentional (and badly failing) strategy of SJW-izing Marvel. All white men must go!

You have a rather odd definition of "failing."

View Original PostRay wrote:Having said that, the damage has been done. a lot of elements that have come from this Progressive push are just going to be stuck with the characters for the foreseeable future.

Most of what I've seen has simply been adding new characters rather than changing old ones. And those new characters have generally been pretty popular, so we're hardly "stuck with" them.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:23 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:You have a rather odd definition of "failing."

Oh they've succeeded in accomplishing it, they just failed to achieve anything worthwhile in the process.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:35 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Oh they've succeeded in accomplishing it, they just failed to achieve anything worthwhile in the process.

A matter of opinion, surely.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:37 pm

The author of the graphic Novel 'Prince Of Peace' is making his book free to read for a limited time on his Imgur page. I highly recommend you check it out.

http://imgur.com/a/6gJGe

Basically, it's based on his experiences of how he went insane and thought he was actually Jesus Christ. With some obvious artistic licenses taken. Good stuff.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:07 am

Frank Miller is at it again. though be perfectly honest this is actually one of his better pinups.

Wonder Woman  SPOILER: Show

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:20 am

Ugh. It's so frustrating knowing he's capable of good art but has developed a style that allows him to be fantastically lazy.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:32 pm

Marvel Has Thoroughly screwed over the X-Men. The little hope we had for them is gone now.

Marvel, just get rid of the X-Men. If you're never going to give them a break, if you're just going to keep screwing them over at the expense of the fans, then just pull the trigger and be done with it.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:20 am

FUCKYES!!!!
Glorious digital artist Stjepan Sejic (long run on Witchblade) will be doing a arc on Aquaman.
Lewdness Warning

Some of his Witchblade/Top cow work... you can see a good range of style & level of rendering in there.

Incredibly pleased at this.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:25 am

NEBEZIAL ( that's his web name ) is going to be doing Aquaman!? Count Me In, the guy has a great sense of humor.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”