Misato's Gun in the Next Time Preview

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kvanu
Adam

Misato's Gun in the Next Time Preview

•      
  •      

Postby Kvanu » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:43 pm

I don't know if this was big enough to make a new topic. Seems like no one has talked about this yet.

So in NGE and Rebuild Misato carries and uses a Heckler & Koch USP. Everyone uses a different gun but that's her choice of weaponry.

In the Next Time Preview for 3.0, death bait Kaji isn't wielding his own gun, he's holding Misato's gun, a Heckler & Koch USP.
SPOILER: Show

You can read more about the Heckler & Koch USP: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Rebuild_of_Evangelion and http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion

So this is quite interesting and may shed some light on why Kaji is so crazy. Maybe he's trying to protect a incapacitated Misato from the people who captured Nerv with her gun? I can't think of any other reason that he'd have her gun. Sure rules out the possibility that he is shooting at Misato. Just some thoughts.
()

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Misato's Gun in the Next Time Preview

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:01 pm

View Original PostKvanu wrote:Sure rules out the possibility that he is shooting at Misato. Just some thoughts.

He could have disarmed and turned her weapon against her. :shrug:

What gun does Kaji use in NGE (when he visits the cat lady)? It would be quite interesting if it's different than the one you just described in the next time preview.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:00 am

Um . . . the USP is a fantastically good gun, and has been used by many military and government agencies worldwide for quite some time. It wouldn't be terribly surprising if they both happened to use it on its own merits, which would mean he never acquired her gun at all.

Now, if it was established at some point that he used a different model and then was using a USP in the preview, that might be something. But their using the same model sans context isn't particularly noteworthy.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Kvanu
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kvanu » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:51 am

Except the Khara staff know their guns and are extremely particular about the types of guns each character uses. No one is shown with the same gun.

The Nerv soldiers use a Heckler and Koch MP7A1.
The Wille soldiers use a Heckler and Koch XM8 Carbine.
The JSSDF soldiers use Inglis Hi-Powers.
The JSSDF commanders use Heckler & Koch G11s.
The Nerv HazMat team uses Heckler & Koch MP5A3s.
The Nerv security guards use Steyr MPi 69s.
Maya and Hyuga use Glock 17s.
Aoba uses a Hybrid MPi 69.
Gendo uses a CZ-75B.
Ritsuko uses a R-92 Revolver.
Misato uses a special Heckler & Koch USP.

The fact that Kaji is seen holding her HK USP, when everyone has been given different guns, and only Misato has ever owned that gun, safely means that he's wielding Misato's gun.
()

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:16 pm

View Original PostKvanu wrote:The fact that Kaji is seen holding her HK USP, when everyone has been given different guns, and only Misato has ever owned that gun, safely means that he's wielding Misato's gun.

Or it means that she wields that gun because of him. Again, we need to establish that he normally uses a different gun before his using her model is significant. Otherwise it's just coincidence (a la Maya and Hyuga).
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Kvanu
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kvanu » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:34 pm

Circumstantial evidence. Maya and Hyuga carry Glock 17s because it is the standard bridge bunny gun (it's spotted by other bunnies in EOE); Aoba is a maverick (it's already been established throughout the show that he is the Independent Bunny)and has his own style of weaponry. But Anno wanted all the individual characters (Misato, Ritsuko, Gendo) to have their own guns, so it's highly unlikely Kaji would be written with having Misato's speciality brand gun that differentiates her from the rest.

We know Kaji has a gun, but we don't see it because it's hidden when he goes and talks to the catlady contact. Common sense and circumstantial evidence would lead any logical person to realize the significance of Kaji being animated in a preview screaming and holding a gun that only Misato has ever used, when Khara are VERY particular about their guns, like their cars.
()

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:47 pm

Circumstantial evidence works both ways; the fact that Misato has a history with Kaji means that their using the same gun is not at all illogical.

Kvanu
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kvanu » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:55 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Circumstantial evidence works both ways; the fact that Misato has a history with Kaji means that their using the same gun is not at all illogical.

What on earth?

Why would Kaji and Misato share the same gun? Why not take the most obvious and apparent logical assumption that they each have their own distinct gun, just like everyone else in the show, and that Kaji holding Misato's gun and furiously shouting is significant because of how unlikely it is (him holding her gun, him losing his cool in general)
()

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:06 pm

View Original PostKvanu wrote:Why not take the most obvious and apparent logical assumption that they each have their own distinct gun, just like everyone else in the show,

Except those who don't...

It may be suggestive, but it is very far from decisive. They have history - so one could have recommended a particular gun to the other, for instance. And I doubt that anyone's choice is based around "I must be sure not to choose a gun that someone else uses"!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Kvanu
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kvanu » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:52 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Except those who don't...

It may be suggestive, but it is very far from decisive. They have history - so one could have recommended a particular gun to the other, for instance. And I doubt that anyone's choice is based around "I must be sure not to choose a gun that someone else uses"!

Everyone on the show, except for the bunnies, have their own distinct gun.

That would make sense if these characters were real people and not fictional characters. Khara staff is assigning different guns to different characters. This just reeks of coming up with 100 unlikely and implausible reasons why the most logical one isn't true, for whatever reason.
()

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:09 pm

There are many logics.

If, for instance, the guns are not personally owned, but come from a central Nerv or Wille store, one would expect some limitation on choice, for the simple reason of ease of maintenance and spares handling - indeed, even if they are personally owned, there could still be an approved or recommended list of guns for which service and ammunition was kept available.

Anyway, we're not saying that the gun in question is either definitely Kaji's or definitely Misato's. We are acknowledging that there is room for doubt either way, whereas your theory relies on everyone being known to have a different gun even while you acknowledge that there are exceptions to this.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:03 pm

Something that's easy to miss here: choice of firearm in Eva can be seen as a symbol of allegiance; different service branches favor different weapons, but those with their own agendas use different weapons. In this respect Kaji's choice of weapon tells us not that he has Misato's weapon, but rather that he is unquestionably her ally, and that their interests coincide (which is borne out by the fact that she ultimately leads the organization he founded). When viewed from that angle it's only natural that they would have the same firearm, and there's no reaching involved.

It would be interesting to see what Ritsuko or the bridge bunnies used circa Q. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if their choices were different from those shown in NGE/EoE!
Last edited by Bagheera on Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kvanu
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kvanu » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:35 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Something that's easy to miss here: choice of firearm in Eva can be seen as a symbol of allegiance; different service branches favor different weapons, but those with their own agendas use different weapons. In this respect Kaji's choice of weapon tells us not that he has Misato's weapon, but rather that he is unquestionably her ally, and that their interests coincide (which is borne out but the fact that she ultimately leads the organization he founded). When viewed from that angle it's only natural that they would have the same firearm, and there's no reaching involved.

It would be interesting to see what Ritsuko or the bridge bunnies used circa Q. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if their choices were different from those shown in NGE/EoE!

This is one of the most nonsensical nonlinear argument I've ever read. Coming from someone who had to have their hand held to realize a minor but obvious fact in a previous discussion, I prefer not to engage with it. Point still stands.
()

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:56 pm

View Original PostKvanu wrote:Point still stands.

The only point I can see is that you that because Kaji is holding a gun like Misato's you believe it must be hers; your reasoning is that everyone that we know of has a different gun, even though you yourself note that this is in fact not so (and we have no prior evidence of what gun Kaji has). Oh, and I forgot your apparent knowledge of Khara's motives in this (is there, for instance, anything in the CRC about this matter?).

PS - another thought: are we actually shown Misato's gun in Rebuild to know that it is the same as in the series? If not, remember how unreliable it is to carry information across from one continuity to another. This page seems to imply that no other handguns are known about in Rebuild so far (whereas the corresponding page for the series lists more).

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:01 pm

I think is a reasonable assumption, but even so, it doesn't mean much. Almost countless possible situatinos could have led to Kaji be welding Misato's gun.

Misato could have got hurt or needed to separate ways from Kanji and lended her gun to him. Misato could have been hurt together with Kaji and he is pointing his gun towards Gendou while holding Misato hurt in this arms.

And he could also have disarmed Misato and poiting the gun at her.

Only god knows.

Also important to note, that Misato never used a laser pointer in her USP.
-----------------------------------------------------
Re-watching Eva since 1999
-----------------------------------------------------

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:34 pm

View Original Postsephirotic wrote:Also important to note, that Misato never used a laser pointer in her USP.

That's a really good point. I mean, we don't even know that Misato uses a USP in the new movies, but we know for sure that her USP in NGE didn't have a laser sight mounted on it. That's enough to tell me it might be a different weapon.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:07 am

Misato's never shown or carried her gun in the movies as far as I can recall.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:26 am

One thing I've learned from NTE is that you can't use the original NGE as a basis for determining what the norms are in NTE. More than likely Khara just decided to change up the weapons the characters used in NTE. That's far from the strangest change they've made.
[Redacted]

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:53 pm

I still want to know what gun Kaji uses in the original series.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:45 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:I still want to know what gun Kaji uses in the original series.

Here's what he pulls out in Girlfriend of Steel, if that counts.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”