Title change

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Title change

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:19 pm

This has probably been discussed before, but i want to bring up a couple of things i find rather unusual about the title for Final.
1st) How it's spelt. The titles for the previous films have the original spelling of Evangelion (エヴァンゲリオン) altered by having the characters of both e (エ) and o (オ) replaced with the obsolete we (ヱ) and infrequently used wo (ヲ). From what I've gathered, this change is purely stylistic and the pronunciation remains the same. So why does Final change the spelling back?
2nd)Changing and moving Shin. For the previous titles, shin was spelled with the kanji shin (新) and is placed after Evangelion making the whole title "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition", but for final, Shin is moved to the beginning and is written in katakana. This ends up giving us New/True/Something else Evangelion: Theatrical Edition. Again, what is the reasoning behind this?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Title change

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:29 pm

BECAUSE IT'S GONNA CLOSE THE TIME LOOP AND THE MOVIE WILL END THE WAY NGE STARTED THE SAME WAY REBUILTD STARTED THE WAY NGE ENDED!111

......I dunno. Can I wait until the movie comes out to have an opinion about this?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FluffyBunny
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FluffyBunny » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:38 pm

What Reichu said. Only Mr.Anno would know the answers.

Well, perhaps you meant to start a fun thread for speculation -- as you already hinted at possible explanations. :)

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:43 am

I hadn't even noticed that, but maybe it's because Anno's using the first 3 movies as more of a throwback to the original series, and he intends to do something unique and very much different in the 4th one.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:59 pm

Maybe it's to signify a new beginning? The 3.0 used up much of NGE's remaining plot, End of Eva is off the table with Seele and Lilith dead, and the old setting is destroyed. Shinji and the plot will have to move somewhere new to start up again.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

mammaluser
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mammaluser » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:45 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Maybe it's to signify a new beginning?

Or maybe even better, the ultimate conclusion or the definitive end or as arcadia's legacy said about the "shin" being moved to the begining and meaning as New/True it's the true and final ending to evangelion, anyways altough i like the 3.0 + 1.0 title, i liked evangelion: final better.
"I wish that i could turn back time..."

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:18 am

Remember how 1.0 was pretty much retelling of first few episodes of NGE?

So I think 3.0+1.0 Means, that it will have all the hollowness and bleakness of Q and then it will once again return to the original and repeat final episodes of NGE and EoE frame for frame, once again leading to Shinji crying on a desolated world, being completly pathetic. After all "Eva is the story that repeats" and so does Anno :P.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:21 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Maybe it's to signify a new beginning? The 3.0 used up much of NGE's remaining plot, End of Eva is off the table with Seele and Lilith dead, and the old setting is destroyed. Shinji and the plot will have to move somewhere new to start up again.

And thus, with the machinations of Seele, Gendo, Nerv, and the Evangelion gone, Shinji, Asuka, Misato, Rei Q, and the rest of Wille will have a chance to truly live.

From the death of the old, comes the beginning of the new.....I LIKE IT. ^_^
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:56 am

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:And thus, with the machinations of Seele, Gendo, Nerv, and the Evangelion gone,

Remember we have seen evidence in Q that NERV is mass-producing Evas on a scale not dreamt of by Seele in EoE.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”