Spear logic

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Spear logic

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:10 pm

Alright, so we know from Kaworu's words (And i think we can all agree he was being genuinly honest at this point) that Gendo swapping the spears had a significant effect on how 4I played out, however Fuyutski later says that it went almost exactly as Seele wanted. So, what exactly did swapping the spears accomplish if the event was going to be near-identical anyway?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Spear logic

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:08 pm

I think it's implied that the Spears weren't so much "swapped" as one of them reverted into Longinus form for reasons unknown. A similar question would be, if all four of the Spears were Longinus shaped at Second Impact, why did one of them turn Cassius after it was blasted off to the Moon? I dunno lol.

As for your main question, only thing I can think of is that requiring Longinus and Cassius together wasn't necessary for Seele's plans, only Kaworu's. He's called "Seele's Boy" and all, but I'd assume the stalker-ish "making Shinji-kun happy" side of things is exclusively his own.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:23 pm

^One of the spears in the 2nd Impact flashback seems to have a smooth shaft while the other three are obviously notched and spiraled.

Killing Kaworu was the net gain on Gendo and Fuyutsuki's side. Seele wasn't counting on that happening and Kaworu says it was his demotion to the 13th Angel that set the whole thing off. Nobody turned into a god-like Eva creature, so something didn't go according to expectations.

I wonder if the Spears are supposed to act like conductors, with one being "positive" and one being "negative." Look at the set-up in Eva 13:
Angel+Lilin
Adam+Lilith(+Angel)
And ideally, Cassius+Longinus.

Eva 13 represents...a duality of opposing elements coming together, I suppose, which fits with Seele's plan to forcefully evolve the Lilin by sacrificing and resurrecting them so they're complemented with the Fruit of Life. I think the second Spear of Longinus somehow disrupted the flow of the process and resulted in a backlash that hit Kaworu and the Eva instead.

Check this out, Right after Unit 13 eats the 12th Angel, the glowing parts on the Eva glow more brightly, the Eva trembles, and the Spears light up bright pink:
SPOILER: Show

But then there's a flash of light from the Eva's chest and it's flooded with power, turning white. At the same time, the spears lose their glow and turn dark again:

Maybe something else would have happened if Kaworu and Shinji had the Spear of Cassius? That's all I've got. :um:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:04 pm

look again. they didn't lose their glow so much as it's just being washed out by how bright 13 is.. there's still a faint pinkish aura around them.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:32 pm

That wasn't the best shot. The Spears do fade back to red right after the Eva awakens:

After that it's a bit inconsistent. They're usually drawn red but there are a couple cuts where the coil and forks are glowing again, then they're not in the next.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:34 pm

There's still red glow there too. It's not as bright, yes, but it's still there.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:15 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:^One of the spears in the 2nd Impact flashback seems to have a smooth shaft while the other three are obviously notched and spiraled.

Ah, thanks. I missed that somehow. -o-;

Kaworu does distinctly say that the Spear "changed its shape", though, not that it was "swapped out" or anything like that. There must be a reason for this. Kaworu knows more than we do, so I've taken the comment to mean that the Spears are capable of shifting from one form to another. I wonder if this has anything to do with all four of them being Longinus-type in that shot of the Adams(?) from Until You Come To Me.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:34 pm

Possibly! The Longinus-types can shapeshift from a pitchfork to a spear to a super long spear (and that weird helix shape in EoE), so one Spear turning into another isn't that outlandish, I guess. Weird that they never question how they might be able to change it back to the Cassius type if that's the case.

cowman850
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby cowman850 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:37 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Possibly! The Longinus-types can shapeshift from a pitchfork to a spear to a super long spear (and that weird helix shape in EoE), so one Spear turning into another isn't that outlandish, I guess. Weird that they never question how they might be able to change it back to the Cassius type if that's the case.

This, and the Lance-copies from EoE converting to "ooken", and EVA-05's jousting lance.
Does Clockiel keep good time?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:10 am

View Original Postcowman850 wrote:This, and the Lance-copies from EoE converting to "ooken", and EVA-05's jousting lance.

Unit-05's lance is just another melee weapon, like the Evas are known to have (knives, axes, etc). Completely normal, and not alien or based off alien technology, as with the case of Longinus, Cassius, and the Longinus replicas.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:32 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Unit-05's lance is just another melee weapon, (...) Completely normal, and not alien or based off alien technology, as with the case of Longinus, Cassius, and the Longinus replicas.

Oh? You sound so certain about this... :-3

Official kanji salad for Eva-05's weapon:
対使徒専用殲滅兵器 簡易式ロンギヌスの槍(似非復元型)
Anti-Angel Extermination Weapon Spear of Longinus Basic Type (Pseudo-Restoration)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:54 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Oh? You sound so certain about this... :-3

Official kanji salad for Eva-05's weapon:
対使徒専用殲滅兵器 簡易式ロンギヌスの槍(似非復元型)
Anti-Angel Extermination Weapon Spear of Longinus Basic Type (Pseudo-Restoration)

Got me. That's certainly very interesting. I wonder what the implications of it are, or if it's just more of the trend of humans mucking with alien tech. The concept was explored more in 2.0 and really driven home with Q. Given all the implications behind the Tunniel and it's containment introduced in the same scene, then I would say it's probably that.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

cowman850
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby cowman850 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:55 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Got me. That's certainly very interesting. I wonder what the implications of it are, or if it's just more of the trend of humans mucking with alien tech. The concept was explored more in 2.0 and really driven home with Q. Given all the implications behind the Tunniel and it's containment introduced in the same scene, then I would say it's probably that.

I knew I wasn't going crazy! :lol:
My assumption would be a psuedo-restoration of one of the Adams lances, since there were 4 present at second impact.
Two embedded in Lilit (one of which had changed back from cassius), while the other two are missing.
Does Clockiel keep good time?

Signer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Signer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:34 am

By the way, what does Gendo need an army for? The only assets left in this world seem to be EVAs and spears, but if WILLE had a spear, they would have used it already...
Where is the center of the multiverse?
I'm the center of the multiverse.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:49 pm

Could be to simply stall for time. Wille can't bring all their firepower to bear on Gendo if they have 10,000 idiot Evas to keep tabs on.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:53 pm

You mean "Baka Eva's" ^_^
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Signer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Signer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:30 am

But if he has everything he needs, what is there to wait for? Before it was angels and construction of EVA 13, but now the only use for an army seems to be getting EVA 01.
Where is the center of the multiverse?
I'm the center of the multiverse.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:39 am

And where is his wife? Getting Unit-01 surely remains crucial for Gendou.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:19 am

View Original PostSigner wrote:But if he has everything he needs, what is there to wait for? Before it was angels and construction of EVA 13, but now the only use for an army seems to be getting EVA 01.

Who says Gendo's waiting? It's possible he's in the middle of the process already. It's possible that it could be the very first thing he does in 3.0+1.0.
- Sachi

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:32 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:And where is his wife? Getting Unit-01 surely remains crucial for Gendou.

Wonder what the logic is, then, of putting Eva-01 in orbit (Neo-Nerv's logo is on the container) and letting her fall in the hands of Wille. Even if everything they do is in accordance with the scenario, just seems like making things more complicated for the sake of making them more complicated... Well, I guess the same thing could be said for a lot about 3.0.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”