What to expect for Instrumentality

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

What to expect for Instrumentality

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:55 pm

I think we can all agree that Final will give us a new form of the Human Instrumentality Project that the previous films have been building up to, but what are your guesses as to what exactly it will be, how it will be portrayed, how will it affect our characters? and other questions i fail to think of
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: What to expect for Instrumentality

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:02 pm

Well, I've been thinking that impacts have become two-a-penny, so instrumentality - however it is portrayed - may be introduced in some other way. But beyond that I've no ideas yet...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:04 pm

Well one thing i'm not expecting this time is people turning into orange juice, as there have been no allusions or foreshadowing to an event like that ever occurring
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:31 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Well one thing i'm not expecting this time is people turning into orange juice, as there have been no allusions or foreshadowing to an event like that ever occurring

Angels popping into tomato juice when their A.T. Fields give out.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:32 pm

RAINBOWS!!!!!

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:37 pm

My gut tells me it gonna work out like something similar to the manga but that's just my random guess.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:02 pm

Everyone becomes a FoI (without the failure part). This doesn't really solve anything, as roaring and punching are rather crude forms of communication.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Zeph
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeph » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:11 am

Third Impact looked to be the same in Rebuild, aside from the infinities. My guess is that when Mark.06 cut off Lilith's head, it switched from Lillin based instrumentality to Adams based instrumentality. At that point, the spears were used to stop it but souls had changed from LCL to Core Substance. Averted Fourth Impact brought about the same, but with a different Moon. The souls in the area were already lost (Doors of Guf, refugees, UN Forces, and Nerv) so instrumentality couldn't happen again.

Final Impact will be interesting because it doesn't have to happen around NeoTokyo anymore. The only remaining trigger is conveniently briefcase sized. Gendo wants Yui out of Unit 01, and that's his only remaining tool to do so.
asdf

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:13 am

Instrumentality? Anno did that already. I'm expecting something else.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:29 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Everyone becomes a FoI (without the failure part). This doesn't really solve anything, as roaring and punching are rather crude forms of communication.

I don't think the FoI were transformed Lilin

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:06 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Everyone becomes a FoI (without the failure part). This doesn't really solve anything, as roaring and punching are rather crude forms of communication.

Plot twist: Instrumentality was actually the genesis of the Ork race. And Asuka and Mari gets to become Gork and Mork.

Holy shit that sounds awesome!
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:36 pm

I want more musical association with Instrumentality this time around. The string quartet was brilliant in D&R, and given the musical themes already present in Rebuild (piano practice, the repeat sign ":||", bloody Beethoven, "shutting my ears to the world"), there may be huge potential to take advantage of this time around.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:56 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Instrumentality? Anno did that already. I'm expecting something else.

It could still be called "Instrumentality"; share absolutely nothing with the NGE version aside from the name and the "forced evolution / apotheosis" theme; and as a result be "something else". There are lots of places to take the concept, so there's no reason to completely abandon it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:07 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:There are lots of places to take the concept

And the question of this thread is which one?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:16 pm

I imagine it'll be the mind screwery of the original ending to NGE, mixed with the nutty freudian visuals of MEMEME and Girl.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:18 pm

My gut feeling tells me that we're more on the verge of spectacle than we are mind screw

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:49 pm

The new films have largely abandoned the use of "mindscapes" as a storytelling device, so your gut is probably correct.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:01 pm

Then that begs the question, what's going to bring Shinji back to his senses? Instrumentality would be unusual, since i can't think how red Unit-01 clones erupting out of the ground is going to help with anything (unless there's more to it than Kaworu told us, which is plausible), and i doubt Shinji is just going to try and listen to the others around him given the state he's currently in. In EoE, instrumentality was the spark that made Shinji believe both in others, but mostly in himself again. Unless it is more than what Kaworu said, something else will need to take it's role, but what?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:11 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Then that begs the question

Raises, you mean? "Begging the question" is something else.

Instrumentality would be unusual, since i can't think how red Unit-01 clones erupting out of the ground is going to help with anything

They could potentially help with the mass produced Evas, if those end up actually being a thing... I mean, how else are you supposed to fight them, except with equally ridiculous numbers of Eva-sized beings? So starting back up whatever process ended in the FoI's "failure", only in a controlled way this time, might end up being the only way to stop Gendo at his game. It would be interesting if Shinji's "trigger" ability ends up being what ultimately saves the day, no?

And while the massive Eva-on-Eva fight is happening, Eva-01 and Eva-13 have a fight over who looks better in purple. Eva-01 rips off 13's extra arms. One goes down the throat, and the other...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:35 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:The new films have largely abandoned the use of "mindscapes" as a storytelling device, so your gut is probably correct.

Or their appearance in the last film will be that much more dramatic; can't predict, myself. And we did have a bit of a mad scene in Q, after all, though it didn't touch on the analytic aspects of the old railway carriages.

Reichu wrote:Raises, you mean? "Begging the question" is something else.

Heh, that's usually Bagheera's line! :wink:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”