at which point were you most angry/frustrated/disappointed with a character

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Settie
Embryo

Re: at which point were you most angry/frustrated/disappointed with a character

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:06 pm

^ Yandare Kaworu? Guess i'm just disappointed that it feels like his arc is unfinished but now with him being dead and all it doesn't seem like i'll get closure on that, unless ghost-Kaworu shows up in the last movie. I get his motivation (Shinji) but not the why behind it, i wanted more from him in 3.0.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:14 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I didn't get stalker vibes in 1.0

Well, you've got this naked dude standing in a coffin in the vacuum of space talking to a magical floating monolith about mysterious plans that involve Shinji "awakening" according to schedule, and then smirking to himself and saying "BOY I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU AGAIN, IKARI SHINJI-KUN". Anybody (let alone an ominous nudist space vampire) who is paying that much attention to me from that far away and practically licking his lips in anticipation of meeting me is a fucking creepy stalker.
Crying Man
(Or, How Dr. Katsuragi Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft. Chapter 10: Idle Hands released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

Joseki
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:33 am

The fact that he woke up on the Moon naked from a coffin and he was able to speak makes it look less important I guess. The stalker-like behavior is not the first, second or third thing I'd question here.

View Original PostSettie wrote:^ Yandare Kaworu? Guess i'm just disappointed that it feels like his arc is unfinished but now with him being dead and all it doesn't seem like i'll get closure on that, unless ghost-Kaworu shows up in the last movie. I get his motivation (Shinji) but not the why behind it, i wanted more from him in 3.0.

Well Kaworu said to Shinji that they'll meet again, and in EoE he had an important role even if he was dead. I think it's quite probable that he will have at least some screentime and a few lines in Shin.
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 am

From my perspective, all of the other weirdness supplements, rather than detracts, from Kaworu's creepy obsession. A regular stalker would be one thing, but Kaworu takes the art to the level of Lovecraftian horror.
Crying Man
(Or, How Dr. Katsuragi Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft. Chapter 10: Idle Hands released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

Joseki
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:50 pm

I have the opposite view on the matter: he's so alien that his instant obsession seems due to some kind of superior (previous?) knowledge of Shinji and the future events instead of a stalking desire.
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:05 am

^

Plus, in Q we actually get to see what he's like when he's not in control, perhaps because he works with Shinji on a more equal level toward a common goal. Shinji finds out more than he ever did in the original, Kaworu is already on his side as opposed to being won over at the last second, & what distance/inequality remains is a plot point in the end.
We see him melancholy about having to tell Shinji the whole truth, a bit helpless about being unable to comfort him, and shocked/ flabbergasted when he realizes the trap or when he speaks about how he used to be feared by humans...

He probably felt just as guilty for leading Shinji into a trap as Shinji does for getting him killed, or rather, probably blamed himself for the poor outcome as much as Shinji did. (Indeed, Shinji was appropriately cautious... but Kaworu talked him into giving his plan a shot.) There was always that aspect where "I don't understand what you're saying, Kaworu-kun!" but this time its a plot point: They react right past each other when the trap becomes apparent and that's precisely why it snaps shut.

The impression is more that he's interested in & admires humanity but doesn't fully understand or, is looking in from an outsider's PoV.

IMHO the very reason he felt so drawn to Shinji (in any continuity) is that they're both destined to destroy the world, or make a choice as to wether their kind will continue to exist or not. Kaworu decides "No more angels", and Shinji, though he gave intrumentality a shot, ends up deciding "Yes, more humans.".
As Kaworu himself says when he introduces himelf (in either continuity) he is "also one of the predetermined children."
Kaworu's all about free will and wanting his own destiny - that death is the only option sometimes is more of a secondary factor. In the words of Shakespeare, "If all else fails, I myself have power to die"

NGE Kaworu is itroduced as different & realizes similarity. (So's his manga counterpart in a different way)
Rebuild Kaworu, at least by the time of Q, already sees the similarity but ends up overlooking how they're different. See how he casually strides through the ruined world while Shinji struggles in his hazard suit, & Kaworu has to remember to stop & help him up, though he eventually does.
Make Clone Love Not Clone War

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”